Apple Changes Tune, Will Accept Cash for iPad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
We heard about this, you know... we all would love people like Diane [Campbell] to get an iPad

When you say "people like" do you mean disabled people or people who talk to the press? Patronizing A-hole (though the end result for Dian is a good one.Good for her for sticking up for herself).

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Wow a lucky woman! She deserved that free Ipad after going through all that!I would have been so bummed out if i saved for that long, just to be told "Sorry we don't accept cash"[/citation]
you would have been an idiot to buy an ipad if you had to save that long....she probably could have spent the money in a better place....

Let's face it - Apple didn't do it out of kindness, they saw an opportunity to get several thousands of dollars worth of free advertising and publicity by giving away a single I-pad. It is a smart business decision for them and turns a PR nightmare into a win for them (If as they say the policy was to stop purchasing and reselling in other countries at launch then they were probably going to change the policy in the near future anyway now that the supply has stabilized so what better time to make the change than when you can get a lot of buzz about it !)

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
As has been stated 2000x already, yet people still keep bringing it up...

You don't have to accept cash for goods and services, only for debts. If you OWE someone money and they refuse legal tender, then the debt is canceled. If you want to BUY something from someone they could demand payment in chickens only and there's nothing you could do about it. However, YMMV as some states it's illegal to refuse legal tender for anything.

jimbo0u812

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Ive done in-home work for handicap people for next-to-nothing, because they were always taken adavantage of because or their limit to credit,tech knowledge, and honest help. Their is a hunger out there from all types of people looking for new gadgets....We know that as soon as Apple gets that cedit card they will blast the consumer in itunes + and sucker the "weak of knowledge" into paying their ass for the simple things...like music and toilet paper

I would think Apple was happy to pay her off. What Apple did was discrimination. For the largest majority those who don't have credit or debit cards are lower income. Making any purchase require credit is targeting lower income. Apple only want Ipad in the hands of those with credit cards because they are more out to buy from itunes store. Discrimination against a group of people is illegal, unethical, and down right bad business. Think government needs a law against requiring these cards for any purchase.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I still understand that they made a generic company wide policy for transactions for these products.

But what I still have difficulty with is the employee who blindly followed this edict without thinking it through. Just a one time exception could have saved them from this PR night mare that they have now turned on its ear plus they would not have had to give her one for free.

Plus the lady is disabled as I said in the previous thread who looks at a handicapped person with cash in hand and refuses service? What kind of unscrupulous prick does that? Or if not unscrupulous than what kind of robotic automaton would not at least ask a manager to waive the policy on a one time basis assuming that is what happened?

And if that did happen and the manager said 'no' than the above question still applies.

What were these idiots thinking?

Unbelievable.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]uh_no[/nom]you would have been an idiot to buy an ipad if you had to save that long....she probably could have spent the money in a better place....[/citation]
Exactly how long had she been saving for? From the time of denial of existance to going on sale was only a couple of months, if she had been saving for longer than 3 months then the original object of purchase wasn't an iPad for sure.

Still, to discriminate against an disabled person, not accept legal tender, then do a condescending u-turn was still bad press all the way.

I hope Diane keeps us up-to-date with some sort of blog to let us know how she sold the free iPad so she could buy a better nVidia tablet and with the spare cash upgrade her PC as well.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Zaixionito[/nom]Just like apple. Bribe your enemies till they go away...[/citation]I don't even understand where this type of hatred comes from!? Are you serious? The company, whether you like them or not, has made their mark in the industry. You sit here, bash them when they don't let her pay with cash (I am completely assuming you would). THEN, when they explicitly say why they did it in the first place, change the policy and hook the girl up with a free iPad, you still have some negative bullsh!t to say. Seriously, GROW UP. Your jealousy towards Apple is sickening. I only own an Ipod Touch and I love PC's... I would love to own a Mac. I would own BOTH. I have my stinks with both sides but CMON man. Are you for real?

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Besides the issue with the cash this woman clearly believes the iPad may be an investment worth her savings and I think she is right. People who were intimidated by computers may find themselves attracted and taking advantage of some computer device like the iPad. And again they don't need the fastest, more capable hardware but something they could really use.

stewysb119

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Who doesn't have a bank account with a check card attached to it???? Next she'll complain that her iPad doesn't connect to her 28.8k modem... It is not discriminatory to not accept cash Elbert... Discrimination is the purposeful unfair treatment of a person or group on the basis of prejudice. There was no prejudice here, just someone too lazy to have a checking account.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]jednx01[/nom]Is it even legal to not accept cash?[/citation]

Not sure... but I know it is legal to not accept penny in NY sate toll booth.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]jossrik[/nom]The stores in the US have to accept cash, however, they are allowed to refuse a sale.[/citation]

You are not the only person erroneously assuming that all US businesses must accept US currency. They do not.

"The Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy."

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Fasthotrod[/nom]< looks at money > "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."I guess the Federal Reserve didn't get the memo from Apple.[/citation]
Uh, that's what I thought. I'm surprised the California Department of Weights and Measures didn't get on Apple's case for refusing $600 of federal cash.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]You are not the only person erroneously assuming that all US businesses must accept US currency. They do not. "The Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy."[/citation]
Local by-laws with ridiculous conditions are just part of American law. If a big important law wants to get passed and an opposing polition wants to block it but doesn't have enough support they simply add an amendment such as "Bees are not allowed to buzz in the month of March", hoping the supporters of the original important law will not vote for it to prevent the stupid add-on from passing with in. Unfortunately the politicians don't fall for this tactic and pass the original law, there-by forcing the idiotic made-up law through with it.

This whole thing about not accepting pennies is one of those stupid laws and Apple is doing exactly the same thing. If they didn't want to accept cash they should simply have stood behind the right to not sell, rather than pushing the "we don't have to accept cash" thing.

What needs to happen in the US is for a small but dedicated commitee of people to go through the statute book in every state and look at all those moronic, pinheaded laws passed by arrogant nimrods and have them surgically removed from the legal system and thereby enforce a bit more common sense in world.

No word of a lie, the following laws still actually exist in san Francisco:-
Prohibits elephants from strolling down Market Street unless they are on a leash.
It is illegal to wipe one’s car with used underwear.
Persons classified as “ugly” may not walk down any street.
It is illegal to pile horse manure more than six feet high on a street corner.
Giving or receiving oral sex is prohibited.

So are we really supposed to observe that the "law" says cash does not have to accepted as payment makes it OK? Or that it is just another stupid addition to the list... you choose.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
i would not want an ipad or any kind of ipad device and would sell it if someonegave it to me.
i support physical media.i have thousands of cd's and films and i own over 1200 books.

[citation][nom]stewysb119[/nom]Who doesn't have a bank account with a check card attached to it???? Next she'll complain that her iPad doesn't connect to her 28.8k modem... It is not discriminatory to not accept cash Elbert... Discrimination is the purposeful unfair treatment of a person or group on the basis of prejudice. There was no prejudice here, just someone too lazy to have a checking account.[/citation]

What are those pieces of paper needed to open a checking account? O right money. Most banks require a minimum balance and many require months before issuing a card. So to answer your question not everyone has these cards or can get one.

OIC so a company can preconceive the belief a person without a credit or debit card would not buy a ipad. Guess a preconceived belief about a group cant be prejudice. Apple can be in the opinion no one without a credit or debit card needs an Ipad. Guess opinion about a group isn't prejudice. Apple made the judgment to not sale the Ipad to anyone without a credit or debit card when in fact this lady without either wanted one.
Prejudice is preconceived belief, opinion, or judgment made without ascertaining the facts of a case. The word prejudice is most commonly used to refer to a preconceived judgment toward a people or a person because of race, social class, gender, ethnicity, age, disability,political beliefs, religion, sexual orientation or other personal characteristics.
Does the definition not say social class ie lower income. Other personal characteristics being a small group of Americans without these cards.

G

Strangely, I brought my iPad the first day with cash...was never an issue

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Apple made a mess, but they cleaned up after themselves very properly on this one. Whale on them for the initial no-cash BS all you like, but this move will have them smelling like a rose and will probably get turned into a case study on customer service. This was damage control done right: "we f'ed up, now let's fix it."No, I'm not an Apple fan and would not buy a proprietary iPad, iPud, or anything else from them myself; this is kudos from a management perspective.[/citation]

If only Verizon did the same for that customer owing $18,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.