Apple Claims Google Warned Samsung About Copying iPad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]AAPLGOODGUYS[/nom]That's ok, because when this is all done, Samsung will not only have to apologize to everyone for stealing, but also have to pay Apple. Samsung should be required to apologize to me personally, as well as all other AAPL shareholders, for the shenanigans.Good guys always win in the end! Go AAPL good guys![/citation]

1. I know you're trolling and this post STILL angers me.

2. If this is the case then Apple owns MGM a big pile of money because the exact shape, size and function of the iBad is torn straight out of 2001: A space oddyssey

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]AAPLGOODGUYS[/nom]That's ok, because when this is all done, Samsung will not only have to apologize to everyone for stealing, but also have to pay Apple. Samsung should be required to apologize to me personally, as well as all other AAPL shareholders, for the shenanigans.Good guys always win in the end! Go AAPL good guys![/citation]

Yea, keep dream, haha.
You do realize Steve J is dead already right? Tim Crook will kill your company from inside out.

When was the last time Apple releasing an exciting product and set the trend?
Upcoming 4" iPhone and 7" iPad are not exciting, they've become a follower instead of trend setter.
I sold my Apple shares when Steve J died.

I'm a google supporter now, they use their power to do the greater goods for the society. Can't say that about Apple. The best thing Apple could do now is to sit on that pile of cash and collect interest from the bank and suffer a slow death.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" ~ Charles Caleb ColtonSo inferior that they are copied to the point that people warn them?You must have borrowed Steve Job's "reality distortion field", LOL[/citation]

Please read the following quoted post to see how dumb you just sounded.

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Anyone notices how Monitor manufacturers copy each other's designs?a 1920x1080 screen with a black border (bezel) around it, 4 corners -either pointy or rounded- and a power on/off switch.That should be illegal too!Come on monitor people. don't copy... bring your own designs !I want a 14.5:9.25 aspect ratio, elliptical pixels, hexagonal corners, the on/off switch on thebase of the monitor stand and a pink "glow in the dark" bezel. Than let's patent that design of course /sarcasm[/citation]

Like the guy above me said basically there are only so many ways to design a rectangle.

I think IBM should sue Apple because IBM first produced White computer device's so obviously Apple is infringing and copying IBM's Design's (http://dl.maximumpc.com/galleries/25oldpcs/IBM_PC_jr_01_full.jpg). Who needs common since when we have lawyers.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Capitalism is equal opportunities. Apple is doing what they can to ensure that no one else has an opportunity. Apple's not abiding by capitalism, their actions are a perversion of capitalism.[/citation]

Equal opportunity doesn't mean a equal playing field however nor does Capitalism within itself stop or oppose unhanded tactics to get a upper-hand. In-fact what does try to prevent that is regulations and other laws which capitalists tend to yell and scream about.

Sadly capitalism isn't perfect and it works well on paper. Just as communism works well on paper. But due to capitalism being purely based on the pursuit on capital ($$$) and to capitalize on opportunities it has no moral code and assumes the consumers will win out due to competition thus countering greed. Sadly it doesn't work out like that again great on paper not so great in practice.
Capitalism evolves into "Crony capitalism" like what we see in America today http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crony_capitalism and that will eventually lead to Corporatocracy which we are starting to see.

Take the patent system into account here. Let's say corporation X patents a medication that is a must to saving lives of those with the specific illness. Due to the patent no one else can make this medication. So the corporation exploits this with inflation and those who can afford it suffer through the high price and those who cannot simply die. In this case there is absolutely no competition until that patent expires. Even hardcore capitalists especially those who would like in on making the medications speak against such. But on the other hand they turn around and protect their patents, copyrights, and so on just the same. On paper it's about competition in reality it's about how can you stop competition from even existing. This is what Apple did here.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Apple, showing why you should never partner with Apple. They sue all the people they buy parts from. Don't know why Samsung puts up with them. Samsung should just cut their supply of lcd panels to Apple and cut ties with the company.

Ignoring the lawsuits, Apple is a huge customer for Samsung. They wouldn't cut ties with Apple unless there were other companies that would buy the parts that Apple is currently buying and in a similar volume.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
People seem to miss the point. Google did warn Samsung that the design they were pursuing looked too much like Apple's design. Furthermore, Samsung was the primary component supplier for Apple's product which gave Samsung access to Apple's designs. You might not like what is happening here but the argument is not about which product is better or worse, that is a personal interpretation. This is simple breach of trust.

The one thing I can say having both a Samsung Note and a iPhone, it might look similar but that's where it ends. I won't say which one is better, I know myself which I prefer.

Depending on how old you are, when Apple brought out the original iMac (the colorful all in one computer with built in monitor) eMachines attempted to capitalize on the success by bringing out their own look-a-like. They were forced to stop making them because it was a direct copy of Apple's design. Believe it or not, designs are copyright material and patent material. This is the same reason way fashion designers sue the hell out of other designers that make knock-offs or copy their design.

[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]People seem to miss the point. Google did warn Samsung that the design they were pursuing looked too much like Apple's design. ...[/citation]
No, that's what Apple is saying. That in itself doesn't make it so, if you begin your argument by accepting one side's statement as 100 percent accurate you have to come forth with independent solid proof that it actually happened, not just citing Apple's statements. There has to be a document/email/etc. that shows where Google did that, and Google has to admit (or at least not deny it) that the document/email/etc, is real.
We can also say, based on your biased statement about this, that we already know with a great degree of confidence which device you prefer. After all, once you already "closed the case" in your first paragraph in Apple's favor (without any evidence), it's pretty clear what your favorite is.
Last but not least, a Note and an iPhone do not look similar at all; one has a screen the size of a mini-tablet and the other one the size of a thumbnail. Some judge in Cali may not be able to tell the difference (looking through her Apple-borrowed glasses), but here on this forum the IQ level is higher than that...

[citation][nom]house70[/nom]No, that's what Apple is saying. That in itself doesn't make it so, if you begin your argument by accepting one side's statement as 100 percent accurate you have to come forth with independent solid proof that it actually happened, not just citing Apple's statements. There has to be a document/email/etc. that shows where Google did that, and Google has to admit (or at least not deny it) that the document/email/etc, is real. We can also say, based on your biased statement about this, that we already know with a great degree of confidence which device you prefer. After all, once you already "closed the case" in your first paragraph in Apple's favor (without any evidence), it's pretty clear what your favorite is.Last but not least, a Note and an iPhone do not look similar at all; one has a screen the size of a mini-tablet and the other one the size of a thumbnail. Some judge in Cali may not be able to tell the difference (looking through her Apple-borrowed glasses), but here on this forum the IQ level is higher than that...[/citation]

http://samsunggalaxynotereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-apps.jpg

http://www.jagatreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Original-iPhone.jpg

I can see some similarity... However, yes, there are many differences too. I wouldn't go nearly as far as saying that it is similar enough to be law-suit worthy, but really Samsung... You couldn't choose a different shape (or none at all) to put right where Apple put their rectangle? Yeah, it does seem to be a stupid argument, complaining about rectangles, but still.

Would it have really been difficult for Samsung to not use a rectangle? I bet that had they not done that, then they could have won much more easily simply by using a different shape/image on the bottom of the phone. However, looking at the two phones in these pictures, they seem to be more different than they are similar. In any good courtroom, Samsung should get, at the worst, a warning, if not simply given a complete victory over Apple.

*Granted the rectangular shape is not a true rectangle because the would-be vertexes are rounded off.

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Oh just shut up already Apple...

I work in a consumer electronics store where we sell a range of Samsung and Apple phones and tablets and not once have I had a customer confuse an Android and Apple product. The majority of people don't even call an iPad a tablet. The most common question I get when selling tablets is a customer asking what the difference is between an iPad and a tablet...

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
And all the while my hatred of Apple just grows and grows. Who'd of thought that was even possible!

The funny thing is, it didn't start out that way. Back in the Apple II days I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread!

I don't know if Steve Jobs made a deal with the devil for his 2nd go-around or what but, I can't remember the last time I was so happy to see someone leave planet earth!

Unfortunately his legacy lives on!

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Equal opportunity doesn't mean a equal playing field however nor does Capitalism within itself stop or oppose unhanded tactics to get a upper-hand. In-fact what does try to prevent that is regulations and other laws which capitalists tend to yell and scream about.Sadly capitalism isn't perfect and it works well on paper. Just as communism works well on paper. But due to capitalism being purely based on the pursuit on capital ($$$) and to capitalize on opportunities it has no moral code and assumes the consumers will win out due to competition thus countering greed. Sadly it doesn't work out like that again great on paper not so great in practice.Capitalism evolves into "Crony capitalism" like what we see in America today http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crony_capitalism and that will eventually lead to Corporatocracy which we are starting to see.Take the patent system into account here. Let's say corporation X patents a medication that is a must to saving lives of those with the specific illness. Due to the patent no one else can make this medication. So the corporation exploits this with inflation and those who can afford it suffer through the high price and those who cannot simply die. In this case there is absolutely no competition until that patent expires. Even hardcore capitalists especially those who would like in on making the medications speak against such. But on the other hand they turn around and protect their patents, copyrights, and so on just the same. On paper it's about competition in reality it's about how can you stop competition from even existing. This is what Apple did here.[/citation]
As much as I dislike your post, I have to admit you are 100% correct. However as consumers in a capitalist society I think we should not only speak out when we find a corporations actions particularly reprehensible but we should also let our wallets do some of the talking.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]Idonno[/nom]As much as I dislike your post, I have to admit you are 100% correct. However as consumers in a capitalist society I think we should not only speak out when we find a corporations actions particularly reprehensible but we should also let our wallets do some of the talking.[/citation]
This is why I haven't bought anything Apple in over five years, I know better. Sadly, the majority of the American public either doesn't know why they shouldn't buy Apple or simply do not care.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]chromonoid[/nom]I actually with apple suing everyone the can.... i mean, this is a capitalist country, you compete with everyone to get more and more money, and thats the ultimate goal, MORE MONEY so apple is only eliminating its competition however it can so dont hate the player, hate the game[/citation]

In a capitalist world you normally compete with innovation not with ripping off everyone else's succesfull design. Samsung is a whore: bad products (there's ALWAYS something with them), bad aftersales service, incompetent support help desk, unreallistic indoctrination of suposedly 'good Korean values' (westerners working for Samsung KNOW what I mean). Samsung is a maggot and has to go down on their face. In fact let them ALL go down on their faces, the rats!

Fine both Apple and Samsung and use that money on the thousands of western people in unemployement thanks to both those jerks!

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Idonno[/nom]As much as I dislike your post, I have to admit you are 100% correct. However as consumers in a capitalist society I think we should not only speak out when we find a corporations actions particularly reprehensible but we should also let our wallets do some of the talking.[/citation]

Unfortunatly our wallets sometimes talk the wrong language. Blinded by commercials and ignorance.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]This is why I haven't bought anything Apple in over five years, I know better. Sadly, the majority of the American public either doesn't know why they shouldn't buy Apple or simply do not care.[/citation]
Unfortunatly Apple is the last American consumer "computer" manufacturer build on American "innovation". So with Apple out of the picture what else is there? HP? Dell? Oh Dear!

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
http://siliconangle.com/blog/2011/10/05/patent-wars-live-on-through-iphone-4s/iphone4-vs-galaxy-s-head/

Compares it to an iPhone 4.

IMHO yes, the Galaxy S DOES resemble an iPhone particularly the iPhone 3GS (see link below). You can't deny that! Imagine both devices powered off (or the capacitive buttons not lit) then you'd definitely mistake the Galaxy S for a larger iPhone.

http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/samsung-mobile-devices-are-iphoneipad-look-alike-similarities-you-cant-miss/

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]http://siliconangle.com/blog/2011/ [...] xy-s-head/Compares it to an iPhone 4.IMHO yes, the Galaxy S DOES resemble an iPhone particularly the iPhone 3GS (see link below). You can't deny that! Imagine both devices powered off (or the capacitive buttons not lit) then you'd definitely mistake the Galaxy S for a larger iPhone.http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/sa [...] cant-miss/[/citation]
Similar Yes, their both cell phones with similar capabilities. Capabilities that Apple didn't invent! They both are designed to have a minimal footprint while still having a screen that's large enough to be functional. Apple doesn't have a patten on that idea so whats your point? Did Apple invent the rectangular form with rounded off corners?

As far as the icons go, they're similar as well. Not only are Samsungs icons similar to apples icons but, apples icons are similar to many of the icons I've had on my PC's for many years now. OOOPs another idea apple doesn't own the rights to!

All ski's have similar shapes, shoes are shaped like feet, the list goes on and on, should all these companies sue each other!

[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]Unfortunatly Apple is the last American consumer "computer" manufacturer build on American "innovation". So with Apple out of the picture what else is there? HP? Dell? Oh Dear![/citation]

American innovation? Apple, like any other company, gets just as much of *their* ideas from nations other than the USA as they do from the USA, if not more than they get from the USA. Most, if not all, of Apple's manufacturing is also done outside of the USA. Not that this is something to hold against a company (nothing makes the USA so special that we should get everything), but it is contradictory to what you've said here. Beyond that, Apple isn't even a manufacturer. They have other companies do the manufacturing for them. The same goes for Dell and HP, granted I'm not sure if they actually manufacture some other technology-related products.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Beyond that, Apple isn't even a manufacturer. They have other companies do the manufacturing for them. The same goes for Dell and HP, granted I'm not sure if they actually manufacture some other technology-related products.[/citation]

You might want to rethink your definition of a manufacturer. Sure the hardware that goes inside is made somewhere else. But I do know for a fact that Dell assembles their own computers (with hardware from other countries) in a small town just outside of Reno NV called Clark (it's about halfway between Reno/Sparks and Fernley NV). Having driven truck I picked up a load of computers there to deliver to a UPS DC in So. California. Now Dell may not do all their assembly here in the US, but to say they don't manufacture the final product here is misleading. You can manufacture items in the US with parts made else where. Subaru cars are a good example, the car is assembled at plant in Indiana but the parts are made in another country. You don't have to make the parts that go inside your product to be called a manufacturer, you just have to assemble the collection of parts you buy to build your product. So technically anyone who has ever assembled their own PC is a manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.