Apple Comments on EPEAT Withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I am confused then why not continue to stay in EPEAT and hold your self to a higher standard. Showing how you go beyond the EPEAT standards? There really serious about going above and beyond EPEAT standards then meeting them should be no issue at all.

lsc

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Apple's response in terms of EPEAT's environmental standards: "Apple is of the opinion that EPEAT's standard isn't comprehensive enough" = You're are holding it wrong

G

Apple hater here, but I applaud apple on this move, don't be bullied to meet some standard because some crackpot scientists who want government funding have forced this Green crap down our throats. Make what you want, if it is a product people want who cares if it meets some BS standard that everyone knows in the long run doesn't mean squat on the performance of the device. This is IT, by default there is nothing "Green" about it.

G

That's some creative spin they're putting on this situation. "EPEAT isn't thorough enough . . . so we're not going to hold ourselves to the standards they DO set."

Excellent.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
@HotRoderx: Its the companies sneaky way of saying: We aren't meeting the standard, but hey, look at the other shiny things we're doing.

Your absolutely right. Theres no reason why they can't meet EPEAT and create their own standard.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I don't get why Apple didn't take a proactive approach in public relations regarding this issue. Why not beat the drums and sound the trumpets right away instead of waiting days before they released an official statement. Not to mention, I still don't get why not keep this certification and seek another one for those products which said certification doesn't cover. It would have made a bit more sense - but no doubt there's more to this than we are communicated. Oh Apple Inc. ...

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Energy Star is a joke. Half the products on the market carrying an "energy star" logo....don't even meet the requirements for certification.[/citation]
I have to wonder - how does my Brother MFC-9840CDW meet that when it pulls up to 900W while warming up and printing? Granted, it is a color laser printer, but still...

G

Someone needs to control what EPEAT considers "standards". Air pollution is out of proportions and nobody is doing anything drastic to improve situation. I've never even heard of EPEAT before Apple decided to tackle it.

EPEAT is probably oil-money rig.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
On the one hand I don't doubt that they're pulling out because they can't or don't want to meet the EPEAT standards. But, it is entirely within Apple's standard procedure to go off and make their own standard and promote it as being better than everyone else's, using it as a marketing strategy.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]The more Foxconn workers that jump off the buildings, the less energy/food/water/etc etc is consumed and garbage is produced....Right apple???[/citation]
OK, for the 100th time now, Apple is not the only one using Foxconn (which seems to come up in all things Apple no matter if it's related or not). Just about every electronic device in your house was made in China and most of that was made by a Foxconn worker. So when they say a Foxconn worker jumped why is it that people like you ASSume that it was one working on a freaking iPad?
The below use Foxconn:
Acer Inc.
Amazon.com
Apple Inc.
Cisco
Dell
Hewlett-Packard
Intel
Microsoft
Motorola Mobility
Nintendo
Nokia
Samsung Electronics
Sony
Toshiba
Vizio
And many more. See anything you own??

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Apple takes a comprehensive approach to measuring our environmental impact and all of our products meet the strictest energy efficiency standards

So, care to explain why your products are a tad challenging to recycle and encouraging full replacement instead of simply the RAM or HDD/SSD?

Oh, oh right. Recycling and reduction of consumption has absolutely no effect on the environment. Right, I got that.

[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Energy Star is a joke. Half the products on the market carrying an "energy star" logo....don't even meet the requirements for certification.[/citation]

A few years ago, somebody submitted a gas-powered alarm clock and I believe a coal-fired refrigerator.

Both of the products got Energy Star ratings.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]And you can vote my last down all you want because I really don't give a shit. It's still fact![/citation]

They still withdrew from the standard. That's a fact.

There Response has left a lot of questions, that's also a fact.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Khimera2000[/nom]They still withdrew from the standard. That's a fact. There Response has left a lot of questions, that's also a fact.[/citation]
THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY POST!!! My post was about someone bringing up the Foxconn crap again. Did you even read my post???? Can you read????

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Arguing on this forum and expecting reason is a waste of time and energy... The hate is so deep that people just spew bile, lol It kinda defies logic.

I like Android, I like Apple, both have their flaws. but the above posts are like the crazy right/left wing people in US politics who scare the sh*t out of the rest of 75% of the population...

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY POST!!! My post was about someone bringing up the Foxconn crap again. Did you even read my post???? Can you read????[/citation]

Reminds me of an Oatmeal comic:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/smartphone/10.png

"You bring up war, poverty, famine in a conversation and you'll find a barren vacuum of opinions. You announce what phone you have (or company you like) and you have to spend the next hour enduring an obnoxious holy war."

Don't get upset, you're not going to win this argument because the other person's ears are shut so you're yelling at a wall, effectively...

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
They have a point. Apple helped start the EPEAT standard. Over the past few years they have been one of the foremost companies in removing harmful materials from their devices. They have a huge recycling program that is one of the top ones offered by any technology company. They have one of the most comprehensive reporting policy and a very indepth company environmental compliance information website. They exceed practically every standard there is EPEAT wise, except for one section that requires all components to be screwed together. That is really lame, that some company can have a product that is crap compared to their products on the important stuff like removing harmful materials and energy management etc and rate higher on the EPEAT system because they use cheap little screws to hold their cheaply made products together.

Hello, this is 2012 calling. Almost all industries are moving more and more things to being assembled with adheasives instead of mechanical means or welding. Cars, Houses, electronics you name it. Why because the structural adheasives available today are many times stronger than traditional methods and create an extremely rigid and noise/vibration free unit.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Arguing on this forum and expecting reason is a waste of time and energy... The hate is so deep that people just spew bile, lol It kinda defies logic.I like Android, I like Apple, both have their flaws. but the above posts are like the crazy right/left wing people in US politics who scare the sh*t out of the rest of 75% of the population...[/citation]
Sundragon...its just teen hormone-spewing. Puberty is a powerful force. ...and you have to admit, its often entertaining to see them get all worked up over the trivialties that they argue over. ...like which video card plays Candy Land 4 the fastest. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.