Apple Doesn't Have to Say Sorry to Samsung Yet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]I just patented the action of apologizing in text and verbally. I'm just waiting Apple.... I'm just waiting.[/citation]
I just patented the patent. Lawsuits in 3...2...1...

G

Can't you understand the english sarcasm here:
"Judge Birss was the same judge to rule in Samsung's favour earlier this month. Rather comically, the judge said that Samsung wasn't infringing upon Apple patents because the Galaxy Tab wasn't cool. So, while it's a win for Samsung, no doubt the company was a bit embarrassed by that comment."

You foolish iboys.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Apologies from corporations are extremely rare unless it is part of PR. Just like the admittance of any guilt is the same way. How many times have we seen a corporation get caught red handed knowingly breaking a law or is dominated in a lawsuit and despite the obvious loss in court they make sure to announce that they still refuse to admit any guilt.[/citation]

Its because too many companies totally lack morale, for those its all about profit - at any price! So wrongdoing is nothing to apology for in those perverted eyes!

netsev

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
del35:
"The competition has outclassed iCrap now for a long long time. Only low IQ technology morons swear by Apple-- that includes lots of technologically preliterate professor in places like Harvard. Yes, I hang out in those circles."

That's not entirely true, no other phones Andriod or otherwise could match the iphone4's screen till only recently. Yes the resolution was easily matched and the screen size was bigger hardware better etc, but the pixel density of the iphone4 have only been matched recently by the HTC One X and SG3.

I hate looking at pixelated screens which was the main reason why i went for iphone4. Also when iphone4 was released Android wasn't quite upto standard compared to iOS's pure useability as a phone and a media device(RetinaDisaplay).

Right now I use SG3 and love it, simply because the screen has caught up with the RetinaDisplay's resolution and pixel density, finally I have a viable alternative to the iphone4. Also the current version of Ice-cream Sandwich being at least as good as what iOS offers in functionality, as well as the freedom from itunes is also a huge plus for me. (I absolutely detested using itunes.)

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]netsev[/nom]del35:"The competition has outclassed iCrap now for a long long time. Only low IQ technology morons swear by Apple-- that includes lots of technologically preliterate professor in places like Harvard. Yes, I hang out in those circles."That's not entirely true, no other phones Andriod or otherwise could match the iphone4's screen till only recently. Yes the resolution was easily matched and the screen size was bigger hardware better etc, but the pixel density of the iphone4 have only been matched recently by the HTC One X and SG3.I hate looking at pixelated screens which was the main reason why i went for iphone4. Also when iphone4 was released Android wasn't quite upto standard compared to iOS's pure useability as a phone and a media device(RetinaDisaplay). Right now I use SG3 and love it, simply because the screen has caught up with the RetinaDisplay's resolution and pixel density, finally I have a viable alternative to the iphone4. Also the current version of Ice-cream Sandwich being at least as good as what iOS offers in functionality, as well as the freedom from itunes is also a huge plus for me. (I absolutely detested using itunes.)[/citation]
According to Steve Jobs himself a phone with a 300 ppi screen has a perfect screen and having a higher pixel density is irrelevant because according to him we can't notice the differences. The only thing he achieved was naming this type of display as Retina Display, unfortunatly for him quite a few phones already existed that had a retina display. In December 2008 I bought a Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 that had a 311 ppi screen. Prior to that, Sharp had the 904 that had a 333 ppi screen (higher than the iPhone).

john_e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]netsev[/nom]del35:"The competition has outclassed iCrap now for a long long time. Only low IQ technology morons swear by Apple-- that includes lots of technologically preliterate professor in places like Harvard. Yes, I hang out in those circles."That's not entirely true, no other phones Andriod or otherwise could match the iphone4's screen till only recently. Yes the resolution was easily matched and the screen size was bigger hardware better etc, but the pixel density of the iphone4 have only been matched recently by the HTC One X and SG3.I hate looking at pixelated screens which was the main reason why i went for iphone4. Also when iphone4 was released Android wasn't quite upto standard compared to iOS's pure useability as a phone and a media device(RetinaDisaplay). Right now I use SG3 and love it, simply because the screen has caught up with the RetinaDisplay's resolution and pixel density, finally I have a viable alternative to the iphone4. Also the current version of Ice-cream Sandwich being at least as good as what iOS offers in functionality, as well as the freedom from itunes is also a huge plus for me. (I absolutely detested using itunes.)[/citation]

Samsung is the one that produces the Retina Display for Apple.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Samsung truly has produced retina displays for Apple however. They are currently still the sole provider of the retina display in the new iPad. The new MacBooks and also iPhone 4's now have LG made panels in them and it's speculated that's Sharp's been trying for quite a while to make retina panels (IGZO panels?) but hasn't met Apple's quality standards yet. Apple is trying to shift it's reliance off of Samsung but they indeed still buy many many components from them for their devices.

Info on Samsung supplying iPad retina displays:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/13/samsung-sole-supplier-for-retina-display-in-new-ipad/

Further evidence:
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/03/13/the-new-ipads-touch-screen-is-made-by-samsung-because-lg-and-sharp-couldnt-hack-it/

"Retina" is simply a marketing name for an lcd with a pixel density of 300+ dpi. If you're curious why Samsung doesn't use their own tech to put a retina display in their own devices, it's because they're heavily invested in AMOLED tech. That and they probably have a deal that gives Apple the right to them for now since Samsung isn't interested in using retina-like panels in their own devices. They basically own the entire market share right now in AMOLED displays. Super AMOLED screens are the same thing just with touch sensors integrated. Unlike LCD screens like the retina display, AMOLED panels don't require a backlight as each pixel produces it's own light source. This makes the panels more power efficient and thinner.

More on why Samsung makes retina displays but not for it's own devices:
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-04/04/why-samsung-makes-retina-displays

I doubt many of the people so polarized by this Apple vs Samsung debate realize how many Samsung components are in iPhones and iPads.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]face-plants[/nom]I doubt many of the people so polarized by this Apple vs Samsung debate realize how many Samsung components are in iPhones and iPads.[/citation]

Apple buys a lot of parts. It's estimated that this year alone they will spend over 9 billion just on LCD's. So I am sure Samsung would like as much of the stack of cash as they can get, regardless of the lawsuit. If Apple feels the need to sever Samsung from their supplier list they can, as they have done before drop a bundle of cash on another supplier, along with loaning out a bunch of their engineers to get the parts they want made the way they want.

While I don't know for sure, I suspect Apple may be their largest customer. My own interest in the suit is just plain old right vs wrong. I don't equate companies with sports teams, rooting for your favorite over a case of beer and nachos with your buddies.

And if companies just blatantly copy each other, innovation and progress suffer to everyone's detriment.

G

well, this war patent seems like being arranged by both of them. i think now samsung n apple are sitting and drinking together, watching all this news then laughing at us , actually they are buddy =)

Status
Not open for further replies.