Apple Doesn't Want You Opening the MacBook Air

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]ORRRRRRRRRR just go on ebay and buy a security torx driver.[/citation]

very true, why do people make such a big deal out of nothing. "if you look hard enought, you will find it"

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
The original (and all the compact Macs I believe) Mac's required a torx screwdriver to take them apart too.Strange how Apple is using Intel's older CPU line.

ecnovaec

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
[citation][nom]onetwo3[/nom]Maybe not. iFix-it claims that Apple ordered new special design security screws from Torx and ask them to make patent on it and only sell the screwdriver to Apple service partners and sue everybody who try to make similar head screw driver. So maybe Apple REALLY doesn’t want you to be able to open up / service your own device.[/citation]

you're terrible at making stuff up. these 5-point torx have been around for a VERY long time... nice try though

The only reason to use such screws is to keep morons from breaking their laptop and from the idiots at the stores from stripping the screws while doing repairs.

-10 for not being able to upgrade system ram
-10 for telling people that they can not upgrade their storage
-10000 For charging so much.

-.- In short don't buy this expecting to be able to upgrade the machine at any point so either choice a different model that is by Apple or get a standard laptop from Dell or some other company.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
1) You can buy a set of torx for under $15 online...
2) Looking at the second picture, it is NOT security torx screw! It's a regular torx screw. Security have a small bump in the center to prevent someone from using a regular torx screwdriver.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
most manufacturers don't want you to tinker with their products too. you do this at your own risk and you may even void the warranty if you insist on doing so. they assume the average joe is not qualified to service the product on their own and that they need properly trained service center personnel to help them. you just have to figure out if you are able to do the upgrade yourself or if the risk is too much you'd rather pay a reasonable fee for professional help. if i'm a manufacturer, i'd do the same.

G

man the mainboard is minuscule it's like only 1/3 of the laptop and the other 2/3 is battery..... from the last screenshot it looks like your just paying for an aluminum case and batteries

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Wow, as much as I dislike Apple, I must say that thing is one of the sexiest laptop's I've seen in a while. Sleek and simple. It's a shame they didn't include the illuminated keyboard on it... I'd love to see that with maybe a white or blue light behind it...

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]most manufacturers don't want you to tinker with their products too. you do this at your own risk and you may even void the warranty if you insist on doing so. they assume the average joe is not qualified to service the product on their own and that they need properly trained service center personnel to help them. you just have to figure out if you are able to do the upgrade yourself or if the risk is too much you'd rather pay a reasonable fee for professional help. if i'm a manufacturer, i'd do the same.[/citation]

If I were a manufacturer, I'd just put regular screws on it and let the user do whatever the heck they want. If they want to void their warranty, good for them. Not my problem.

/double post... sorry... didn't read the second page before I posted

DrInfested

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
[citation][nom]notMuchHaardware[/nom]man the mainboard is minuscule it's like only 1/3 of the laptop and the other 2/3 is battery..... from the last screenshot it looks like your just paying for an aluminum case and batteries[/citation]

You base the price of these components on size? Is that why processor chips get smaller all the time, and yet we pay as much or more for them?

ab0tj

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]sparkyguy[/nom]People, people, people, stop it with the apple charging so much for their macs. if there is an appetite for it, apple will still make them. why do we have Camaro and Geo metros sharing the same roads? because we all have different prospective of them, i say if you can afford it and it fits your need, please go ahead. if you can't afford it and it doesn't fit your need, by all means get an HP or a Dell, but stop hatin' on the guy next door who decided to get the Mac.Can't we all get along?for disclaimer i have a Sony VAIO, an HP Envy and a MBP.Peace out.[/citation]

I think the problem is that it's like buying a car that looks like a Camaro, costs the same as the Camaro, but has the Geo engine in it.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
U can't upgrade anything in there anyway so it doesn't need to be user serviceable. The ram is soldered to the board and the SSD is a custom piece that u won't be able to buy anywhere.

May 6month old MacBook Pro uses regular phillips head screws and u can actually replace HDD and ram quite easily. No idea if it would void warranty.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Torx is a brand/manufacture. They specialize in 5-point screws and bits. However, not all torx screws/bits are cut the same. And I'm not just talking about "size" such as T3-T75. Heck, most seatbelt mountings use a Torx T-50 (that's about a 1/4inch hole). Some have a pin sticking up in the center to prevent "regular" torx bits from seating. Some are beveled, some have one "arm" longer, some have one shorter. This is the first time I've seen the arms "curved" like a flower petal.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
I have a block of 50 bits that cost me about 5$ and they are in it, but if people want to have their macbook repaired by me, I always say I can't do it. let them pay for repairs, it's their punishment for buying overpriced crap in the first place!

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Non Comprehende here ?

Asus Ati 5870m 8gb ram intel i7-720qm for $1499 or a Apple MacBook Air that is what ? a big $199 Samsung mobile phone for $1000 ?

Yeah sure it is cute and sleek and thin and and ... but can you do anything with it and how much info is send back to Big Apple Brother ?

How easy is it to get windows on this over priced yet portable mobile phone MacBook Air laptop ?

For me it is buying a GM car without a engine / no brakes / 1tire ~ 1tyre instead of 4 when buying a SpyBook Air or going a bit more expensive and having something functional that would actually work / not break constantly.

What happens when you sneeze onto this MacBook Air ?
Does the metal looking cover then melt or rust after sneezing onto it ?

[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]It's a regular torx screw. Security have a small bump in the center to prevent someone from using a regular torx screwdriver.[/citation]
No it isn't. Regular torx screws are 6 point.

G

Bwahaha! The day the device comes out, it has already been reverse-engineered! LOL

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jsc[/nom]No it isn't. Regular torx screws are 6 point.[/citation]
Ah... Didn't realize that. Shouldnt be referred to as a security ford bit, though. The security designation is for the center bump, if I recall correctly.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]firebee1991[/nom]The $20 set of screws that I bought at Wal-Mart came with several 5-point screwdrivers; they're really not that hard to get ahold of.[/citation]
That screw driver head shown in the pic DOES NOT come in any tool kit. It is a modified torx head and IS NOT the standard torx head you are mistaking it for. It is a bowl shaped version of a standard torx that is why they had to file their screwdriver till it worked. It is best to not make comments about things you know nothing about because you just end up looking like a bigger idiot than you already are.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]KingKuei[/nom]The SSD drives runs on the SATA bus, not on the PCIe lane. Someone already posted screenshot from Apple Profiler showing this.And given the memory is soldered on (space savings) and SSD card (again for space savings) is quasi-proprietary, why WOULD you need to open the MBA???And I have never heard of an Apple store charging for diagnostics. I know their service agreement at the Genius Bar mentions such a fee, but I've never seen it charged and I've been using the bar over the years for a lot of things.And lastly, I don't know where the idea of low quality components entered anyone's mind. Apple's equipment isn't exotic, but it's certainly not low quality. They use Samsung Original memory in many of their portables, they source their CPUs from Intel, many of their hard drives are from Seagate, their SSDs come from Samsung, the touchpads come from Synaptics. I'm sorry, but the list of reliable manufacturers goes on. To say that an Apple uses low quality components is ridiculous. At least the casing is made from a single block of metal as opposed to plastic, and the keyboard letters are laser engraved instead of cheap melted-on plastic that rubs off over time, and that the trackpad coatings withstand years of abuse instead of wearing away and becoming smooth and frictioned... What in the world are YOU using??? Must be made from pixie dust and unicorn tears...[/citation]

they ARE low quality components because every part in this system except the ssd was outdated 2 yrs ago!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.