Apple Doesn't Want You Opening the MacBook Air

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnA

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]1) You can buy a set of torx for under $15 online...2) Looking at the second picture, it is NOT security torx screw! It's a regular torx screw. Security have a small bump in the center to prevent someone from using a regular torx screwdriver.[/citation]

It has 5 points, not six. I've been using them since the 90's on Diesel injection pumps. You can get a set from MCM or even Amazon for 16 bucks or less. You just have to wait for shipping.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]If I were a manufacturer, I'd just put regular screws on it and let the user do whatever the heck they want. If they want to void their warranty, good for them. Not my problem./double post... sorry... didn't read the second page before I posted[/citation]

The problem for apple is in this case not that the US market but the EU and large parts of Asia. By law they cant deny you warranty for opening the device even if its done by a moron destroying half the system apple would still be accountable for the original error. Sure their EULA may say otherwise and their warranty agreement can claim whatever they want but those are not valid here. There agreements can never overwrite a law and by law i have the right to service and upgrade my own machines.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I have a set of Torx, like 15 bux it has most possible sizes. I used it just to take the Wheel cap on my wheels off.

So this is nothing new.

But of course, a Torx screw is enough to make Apple idiots to think that "OMG I NEVER SEEN THIS KIND OF SCREWS BEFORe, WOW APPLE IS REALLY THE BEST! TRY TO COPY THAT PC!"

hahaha, suck it Mac losers.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]viometrix[/nom]they ARE low quality components because every part in this system except the ssd was outdated 2 yrs ago!!!![/citation]

but to Apple fans*cough*losers*cough* , this is the best of the best, revolutionary, incredible, exceptional performer. it smokes every PC out there.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
At first it looked like those were a NEW kind of Torx screw, but then I saw that it had a flat bottom. Yeah, a bit less common than the six-pointed Torx screws, but hardly exotic. Now, if Apple had given the socket the sloped walls of a 1-way screw...
[citation][nom]paulx[/nom]since warranty service is ALWAYS free at the apple retail store why would anyone want to possibly damage their new computer.. because after it's been damaged, the warranty is void.[/citation]
Perhaps because "warranty service" for Apple products often means "we instead give you a replacement?" Plus, y'know, perhaps some people are fully capable of repairing their own products. Warranty services is, for the most part, largely a scam. ESPECIALLY those "extended warranty" plans they always try to hawk on you.

[citation][nom]onetwo3[/nom]Aprox. 200-220$ for end user. But Apple used custom form (the device is made by Toshiba) so probably you never be able to upgrade[/citation]
The price I see on NewEgg is $189, though that's their ONLY model; it's safe to say that, compared to normal SSD and flash card costs, that involves a huge markup.

The true cost of such a drive, if the markup were in line with normal SSDs, would be closer to $100. (Flash memory is around $1.50 a gigabyte, both for most SSDs and SD cards) Yes, that means that Apple charges the user MORE the actual price to upgrade: the extra 64 GB to bring the 12.1" Air to 128 GB costs you $200, (When the retail value difference for such a SDD is around $100) and and the 128 GB to bring the 13.3" Air to 256 GB costs $300, when the drive difference cost is only $200.

As for upgradability, that looks like they use a standard mini-PCI-e formfactor... except theirs is BIGGER. So you should be able to slot in a normal mini-PCI-e SSD just fine. Of course, good luck finding any larger than 64 GB. Plus, as I mentioned, the drives appear to be marked up 50-120% beyond that of normal SSDs.

[citation][nom]sparkyguy[/nom]People, people, people, stop it with the apple charging so much for their macs. if there is an appetite for it, apple will still make them. why do we have Camaro and Geo metros sharing the same roads?[/citation]
HORRIBLE analogy there. Don't go into the "premium price for a premium product" schtick: the teardown shows that quality-wise, Apple uses the same sort of off-the-shelf components you see sported in other laptops. The only quantifiable/qualitative difference is perhaps that they've wedged everything in into such a tiny space. (guess what? Nintendo's done the same thing for years, and they tend to be the CHEAPEST console maker)

Apple succeeds with an over-priced-and-unexceptional product because they have a massive marketting budget. A more appropriate analogy is why we still have both name-brand drugs when there are equally-effective generics available for a fraction the price. The only difference you're paying for there is the name... And the advertised ILLUSION that it's better.

G

@DrInfested

ive opened a fair few laptops in my time and that was first time i seen a mobo take up so little real estate. As for your comment, yes generally speaking, smaller chips should be cheaper, if it's smaller then it uses up less silicone which means more yields per wafer for the fab

But really since when has chips got smaller? i realize with the die shrink and everything chips should theoretically be getting smaller, but they're not, AMD and intel keeps cramming more tech into those chips which keep their size about constant (if not getting bigger just slightly), if the chips are getting smaller it's because they are using an aging technology without adding anything to them, at which point yes they should be cheaper, cause the majority of the R&D should have been paid of by then. Look at chips size and look at pricing, it correlates, an A4 is significantly cheaper then lets say an i3, there is a correlation between chip size and their sophistication and therefore their price

i believe my point is still valid, it appears that your paying for an aluminum chassis and batteries

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
[citation][nom]onetwo3[/nom]Maybe not. iFix-it claims that Apple ordered new special design security screws from Torx and ask them to make patent on it and only sell the screwdriver to Apple service partners and sue everybody who try to make similar head screw driver. So maybe Apple REALLY doesn’t want you to be able to open up / service your own device.[/citation]

Do you have a link for that claim?

That SODIMM looks different from any modules I've seen. Are they custom models made just for the Air?

Either way, the bottom line is clear: Apple wants to gouge you with initial upgrades when you purchase it. Nothing new.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]theroguex[/nom]Buy a real laptop, and then have someone machine you a brushed aluminum case for it. It'll be $1000 cheaper.[/citation]

The laptop only costs $999.00 to begin with.

[citation][nom]Randomacts[/nom]Why pay that much for a laptop...Oh why do I even bother anymore...[/citation]

Careful, don't tell Apple that this is just an oversized netbook. They would never make a Netbook.

But thats what it really is. A oversized and well over priced netbook.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm...Chevy don't want you opening up their engines either, neither do Porsche, or Ferrari, or ... how to void your warranty quickly. This isn't exactly NEW ??

A hint for you Windows fan boys, you WOULD be rich now if you own an Apple computer. Maybe if you fan boys stopped play games all day long you might actually learn something that would be useful in the real world and allow you to BE RICH instead of just talking about it.

But back ON POINT, so where is Dell's or Acer's or HP's or etc. laptops that are this light and thin?? You folks are comparing the Air (which is by NO means the only Apple laptop computer) to something that no other company has built and sold to the public? Show me Dell's "Air" or Acer's "Air" or Alienware "Air" -- what they don't exist so what on earth are you morons comparing this laptop to?

ender21

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]Hmmm...Chevy don't want you opening up their engines either, neither do Porsche, or Ferrari, or ... how to void your warranty quickly. This isn't exactly NEW ??A hint for you Windows fan boys, you WOULD be rich now if you own an Apple computer. Maybe if you fan boys stopped play games all day long you might actually learn something that would be useful in the real world and allow you to BE RICH instead of just talking about it.But back ON POINT, so where is Dell's or Acer's or HP's or etc. laptops that are this light and thin?? You folks are comparing the Air (which is by NO means the only Apple laptop computer) to something that no other company has built and sold to the public? Show me Dell's "Air" or Acer's "Air" or Alienware "Air" -- what they don't exist so what on earth are you morons comparing this laptop to?[/citation]

Well there is the Vaio X. What's that run on? Oh the Atom. NEWER than the Core 2 Duo yet lower powered. What's the price on that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.