Apple Drops MacBook Pro Retina, Air Prices, Improves Specs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

@Vladislaus
Not all Macbooks comes standard with an SSD. All MBA's do and all MBP with Retina comes
with SSD as standard but the MBP non Retina all is standard with a normal harddrive.

I think that the Macbooks are very good priced right now.
But I'd like to see their desktop computers drop in price as well.
The Mac Pro needs a very big upgrade, otherwise the price needs to drop extremely.
The iMac is not too bad priced actually Apple is making the best AIO computers on the market
as far as I know but a small price drop would be nice anyway.
The Mac Mini needs to drop it's price too, not that good specs for that price even if you
count in that it's very small. Why not drop it's price with $100 and come with a SSD standard?
I think they should let you choose either a 500GB HDD or a 64GB SSD for no extra cost
since they are almost the same price if you go out and buy it yourself.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Well the Lenovo does come with a higher resolution screen and a touch screen.[/citation]

The Lenovo's screen is 1600x900. The MBP's screen is 2560x1600.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002

True, most people use any computer for browsing, email, word... and most of us can get by with a $600 economy model. I would never argue that Mac's aren't a 'vanity plate' for most users, but I would argue that they're capable of doing real work and can be really good at some things.

For what you get... I think the Mac is competitively priced - I know it's a lot more than many PC based systems, but you get a lot for that money. The system I ended up buying last time I shopped (last year) wasn't a Mac, but it wasn't because of price (the laptop I got was >2x more expensive than the MBP).

anonymous_user

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Anandtech has a review on the Vizio Thin+Light CT15-A5 which looks good except its 4GB of RAM is not user upgradeable:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6543/vizio-thin-light-ct15-something-new-and-edgy

You could also wait for its successsor:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6664/vizios-new-touch-notebook-and-aio-pcs-at-ces

However it supposedly have a HD+SSD cache instead of a full SSD.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]The Lenovo's screen is 1600x900. The MBP's screen is 2560x1600.[/citation]
To my knowledge the MacBook Pro isn't an ultrabook, but whatever...

1zacster

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012

Really now? a "Really good 3d copositioning visual effects system" To me that screams something more powerful than the meager 650m for gpu acceleration and a cpu more powerful than their i3 status i5 and i5 status i7 due to how underclocked they are compared to a good workstation, something made for actually doing what you say.

1zacster

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012

Good one. A mac can't hold a candle to a 3770k 5ghz + 32gb 2133 ram + raid0 ssd

Status
Not open for further replies.