Apple Dumping Intel For ARM Chips In Laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

AMD is dead. But Intel's x86 vs ARM based CPUs will certainly be something to drive the research up and prices down.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Anything is possible these days, and as it appears competition is just intensifying. I hope the biggest winner will be us the consumers.

G

Well, I always used to chant, strongARM! and it looks like it is finally happening!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think Apple switching to ARM processors is a clear sign that Apple no longer wishes to hide the fact their systems lack computational power.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]NeuralSystem[/nom]AMD is dead. But Intel's x86 vs ARM based CPUs will certainly be something to drive the research up and prices down.[/citation]

what? haha. how many years have people been saying AMD is dead? they've been recording decent profits lately, I'm sure they'd appreciate you informing them there's no reason to come in to work any longer.

[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I think Apple switching to ARM processors is a clear sign that Apple no longer wishes to hide the fact their systems lack computational power.[/citation]

^^ this. I think apple wants to make a seamless transition between phone>tablet>notebook>desktop, and they don't mind losing programs and computational power to do so. Hell... they ran on RISC architecture w/o x86 before, why not now?

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Wow. Who really cares. This is all speculation. All you're doing is giving some ignorant Apple fanboy a boner. Cause everybody knows x86 and x86_64> ARM. No matter which way you cut it. ARM can survive in two places- the mobile device sector, and the server sector, where low power consumption is necessary. I can't see ARM being big in the consumer PC market- there's not enough beef. And programs would have to be recompiled to run on the different architecture, giving devs everywhere a nice headache. Not really feasible.

yellowblue

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Macbook air probably, mac mini, macbook and 13" mbp maybe. 15" and 17" mbp and mac pro nah too soon maybe 4-6 years from now. With the intel tri-gate transistors i doubt it will happen anytime soon. Clearly just a PR move to counter the intel tri-gate announcement.

theabsinthehare

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Arm will do well in the consumer market if Apple says they will, because people who buy Apple hardware aren't concerned with the tech specs of their machine; they simply want something that works. As an "Apple Zen" fanboy myself (I mean to say I'm a fan of Apple's "vision", innovation, etc., but not of actually spending my own money on their desktop hardware), I can say that most of the people who buy their computers aren't buying them for computation heavy tasks; they're buying them for FaceTime, iLife, Garageband [it's been years and I still haven't found a decent replacement for Garageband since I switched to Windows], AngryBirds, and those sorts of things. The group of Mac users that are interested in powerful computing are going to buy a Mac Pro, and this article is only talking about laptops for the moment.

ares1214

Splendid
[citation][nom]theabsinthehare[/nom]Arm will do well in the consumer market if Apple says they will, because people who buy Apple hardware aren't concerned with the tech specs of their machine; they simply want something that works. As an "Apple Zen" fanboy myself (I mean to say I'm a fan of Apple's "vision", innovation, etc., but not of actually spending my own money on their desktop hardware), I can say that most of the people who buy their computers aren't buying them for computation heavy tasks; they're buying them for FaceTime, iLife, Garageband [it's been years and I still haven't found a decent replacement for Garageband since I switched to Windows], AngryBirds, and those sorts of things. The group of Mac users that are interested in powerful computing are going to buy a Mac Pro, and this article is only talking about laptops for the moment.[/citation]

Hate to say it, but Id agree. Apple, whom i dont really like, is all about "elegance, design, power efficiency, style......". Nobody in their right mind buys a Mac for heavy computational tasks, unless they are into the arts (rendering, CS5, so on), where Mac features do help. If Apple made all their mobile devices ARM based by say, 2013, think of how much easier coding things would be for them. If they made everything ARM by 2015, where it will likely start to catch up to x86 in performance,it would be a brilliant move. Not only are ARM systems incredibly cheap, they are (supposedly) easier to code for, and much more power efficient. This is incredibly important for laptops. What would you rather have, an Apple Laptop that can run for 2 days straight, but not score quite as high in Cine, Sys, and so on, or an x86 that last for 7 hours and can max out those synthetics? For the average person who uses a word processor, the internet, and a few apps here and there, the choice would be clear. Not only that but this can help Apple make more money for their greedy selves, ARM systems cost less, so im sure Apple will charge the difference for "saving the enviroment with ARM efficiency".

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Stupid Apple, your suppose to switch to the AMD Fusion chips in your laptops so my AMD stock skyrockets! *grumble*
If it is true, I am rather surprised. One of their biggest selling points lately has been the ability to run Windows natively. But, having said that, Microsoft did announce ARM support on Windows 8, so maybe Apple took that into consideration.
Still, I'm surprised. I could easily see Apple switching to AMD's new Fusion chips, especially since their computers already run AMD GPUs. But didn't see the ARM thing coming.
[citation][nom]PudgyChicken[/nom]Cause everybody knows x86 and x86_64> ARM. No matter which way you cut it. ARM can survive in two places- the mobile device sector, and the server sector, where low power consumption is necessary. I can't see ARM being big in the consumer PC market- there's not enough beef. And programs would have to be recompiled to run on the different architecture, giving devs everywhere a nice headache. Not really feasible.[/citation]
As it stands right now, I would agree with you. But the borders between desktop, mobile, and gaming electronics is QUICKLY closing.

Eventually I think the market will be at a place where we'll see the decline of the x86 platform as RISC-based processors slowly take over. All of the current generation gaming consoles run Power-based RISC processors, and nearly every mobile electronic device runs a RISC-based processor. So really, the only market that is left is the desktop market. A couple more years of the development in the ARM platform and I think it is perfectly reasonable that we start seeing ARM chips in desktop PCs.

So no, not like it will happen tomorrow, but I can easily see it happening in the future.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
ARM is the future. As cellphones get more and more powerful, PCs will begin to have more and more cellphone-like technologies incorporated until one day they will be the same device.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Apple will do it because Apple realizes that its teenage base who have grown up using IPODS and IPADS and IPHONES don't understand any other OS. They feel comfortable with the IPOD OS and that is what they want to use across the board. It does not make any sense having two systems.

neas

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Maybe you'all should see what the anaylist said:

In a bit of way-out speculation, analyst Gus Richard of Piper Jaffray this week said he thought that Intel was seeking to make ARM chips for Apple.

“Based on a number of inputs, we believe Intel is also vying for Apple’s foundry business,” he said in a note to investors, which was quoted in EE Times and elsewhere.

waynewarrior78

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Those who think AMD is dead, must turn back time and remember INTEL during the end of the single core race. I do remember a certain AMD stomping them into the ground...

but hey fan boys be haters as usual :/

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Why in the world would Apple dump Intel for ARM? Does ARM even make a 64 bit processor? Current Intel chips blow ARM out of the water! I don't get it!

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
It would be silly for Apple to go with ARM. Intel processors are just as energy efficient as ARM and have much better performance. There's absolutely no reason for an ARM processor to be on a Mac or Windows computer. Heck, even PowerPC processors would be a better choice than ARM on a Mac.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Jobs: Hey all you guys who think we make crap computers, were dumping intel chips in favor of the cellphone processor makers ARM. Now our macbook pros will be as powerful as the ipad and ipods. How you like the Apples...

PC Dudes:*WAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS