Apple Expected to Spend $9B on iPhone, iPad Displays in 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
A company with that much money you think it would pay it's employees some descent money. It would cost an Apple employee 6 months of their wages to buy a new iPad in China.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Don't be too sure. A lot of people just don't care about the specs and focus more on the entire package...build quality, ease of use, ecosystem , etc. So while the Galaxy S3 will undoubtedly be a spec monster how will the surrounding ecosystem be? Will it still be encased in plastic? Will it be just as easy or easier to sync your music library and playlists for the average consumer? I really like my Razr Maxx but I won't say it's better than an iPhone 4...it's just different.[/citation]

People are downvoting you but really what you're saying is true. The ecosystem is a huge differentiating factor for a lot of people. Look at the ubiquity of accessories designed for iOS devices. How many non-techie people do you know can tell you off the top of their head what the clock speed of the CPU or GPU in their phone or tablet is?

The iPhone 3GS was released in 2009 and is able to run the latest iOS 5.1. Developers can take advantage of all the latest OS level enhancements and know that anyone that's purchase a new iPhone in the last 3 years can use their software, provided it meets the hard requirements. There are brand new Android phones being release today that are still running Android 2.3. Developers can't even take advantages of the new APIs in Android 4.0 that have been available for nearly 5 months now.

The iPhone and iPad are often behind and/or lack in many different hardware features but often ahead in features integrated at the OS level. IMHO Android's "open" software platform is both Android's greatest asset and biggest detriment. I know ICS is the Android "savior" and will unify phones and tablets, but after 5 months I'm not impressed.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom][citation]IHS also speculated that a new 4-inch screen iPhone will keep a pixel density of about 320 ppi, but jump to a 1024 by 768 pixel format.[/citation]Using a 4:3 format would mean that the iPhone would be a lot wider, so I have my doubt that Apple will change the aspect ratio of the screen.[/citation]
3:4 ratio is more suitable for the iPhone...

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]bloc97[/nom]3:4 ratio is more suitable for the iPhone...[/citation]
I know that if a 4:3 screen was put on a phone is would be rotated 90º just like it is rotated on the iPad. Still it would be a lot wider than the current aspect ratio, specially considering they say it's a 4 inch screen and apple currently uses a 3.5 inch screen.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Apple ? Hell no. Crap companing sues everyone around and steals form android selling crap hardware for retards that have too much $$

Status
Not open for further replies.