Apple Files Patent for Touch iMacs Running iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
What kind of a sane person would buy this and use it in a way that doesn't include blending it, microwaving it, smashing it, dropping it from heights, or in any other way destroying it.

qu3becker

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]What kind of a sane person would buy this and use it in a way that doesn't include blending it, microwaving it, smashing it, dropping it from heights, or in any other way destroying it.[/citation]

Apple's fan...

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
Don't worry about fingerprints. Apple will just sell you a $100 iCleaning Kit. It will include an 8in X 8in iShamWOW and a 3oz spray bottle of some iWindex.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
switching from 1 OS to another by moving the screen????
does this mean that you cant do everything with only 1 OS????

having the idea of displaying differently the desktop could be a good idea.
in vertical mode I display the app in fullscreen mode, the menu on the bottom.
Switching it horizontaly could display the menus differently, like a perspective view(?)
or this can switch the screen in 3D mode (the technology which doesn'T required some glasses) with a 3D interactive interface(?)

but switching between 2 OS??? I really don't understand this one!

they say "the user can choose the OS he want for each position", ok, can I choose... mmm... Windows 7 in vertical mode and ...mmm... windows 7 in horizontal mode??? ;)

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Fortunately, this patent is irrelevant for Windows-based PCs (as opposed to OS X based PCs aka Macs) since Windows 7 already supports multi-touch. They only need it because OS X doesn't.

rrobstur

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
im not an apple fan but imma stop reading apple news or the forum post... apple bashing starting to get on my nerve (thumbs down me)

rrobstur

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
this desing would be for people on there feet with a desk positioned below them, bank teller, nurses station, ect.

G

This actually makes a lot of sense, the screen doesn't just tilt, it comes forward and lowers into a tablet style stance. This would be a much more comfortable way to use touch rather than having to hold your arms up in the air for ages. It also makes sense to have the option to use an interface *designed* for touch from the ground up, when using the touch surface. OSX and Windows are not designed around touch and our fingers aren't really a good way to work on a complex interface with tiny buttons, right-clicks etc. This way you get to use the system that makes the most sense for the task at hand. If I want to read some comics or a textbook, I tilt the screen and use iOS apps and don't have to fight the mouse-based interface, if I'm doing serious work I use the mouse and keyboard and get full advantage.
I don't see why people would diss this? It would be cool to be able to switch from windows to android in much the same way.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]What kind of a sane person would buy this and use it in a way that doesn't include blending it, microwaving it, smashing it, dropping it from heights, or in any other way destroying it.[/citation]

Apple fanboy/girl.

[citation][nom]HansVonOhain[/nom]This looks like a very impractical option to me. Smudges and dust obstructing your work.[/citation]

They will just buy it. IT doesn't matter if its completely useless or how impractical it is. As long as it has that Apple logo somewhere on the device. Those losers *cough* will just form a line in of Apple stores ...

G

This may change the way I live my life. I hope it comes in white.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]androidluvr[/nom]This actually makes a lot of sense, the screen doesn't just tilt, it comes forward and lowers into a tablet style stance. This would be a much more comfortable way to use touch rather than having to hold your arms up in the air for ages. It also makes sense to have the option to use an interface *designed* for touch from the ground up, when using the touch surface. OSX and Windows are not designed around touch and our fingers aren't really a good way to work on a complex interface with tiny buttons, right-clicks etc. This way you get to use the system that makes the most sense for the task at hand. If I want to read some comics or a textbook, I tilt the screen and use iOS apps and don't have to fight the mouse-based interface, if I'm doing serious work I use the mouse and keyboard and get full advantage. I don't see why people would diss this? It would be cool to be able to switch from windows to android in much the same way.[/citation]

No it doesn't make any kind of sense. Usually people use the monitor at a very high position an a bit far way. So when we tilt the monitor our line of sight won't be perpendicular with the monitor unless we're looking down and on our feet which makes it uncomfortable.

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Janet55[/nom]iMac touch or whatever, stationary but ultrapowerful, one of the best media experiences ever.[/citation]

Looks like you've never had the honor of using a real gaming computer, nor did u ever run a benchmark on an iMac...

marketing wins in the end of the day.. not the real technical specs i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.