Apple Finally Adds SSDs to iMac Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Pricing of the SSD 300 dollars over a 1TB HDD, suggests that they're overcharging on the SSD by at least 100 dollars...
Congratulations Apple fans! Now you can be ripped off on SSDs as well.

Wow! Innovation at Apple never fails. Surely they must be the first to think about something like that.
Oh, wait... nevermind.

At least, they're first in overcharging, but that's hardly new for them.

lp231

Splendid
Title is a bit misleading, it should be Apple finally adds stand alone SSDs to iMac options because Apple Fusion drive still contains a SSD along with a mechanical HDD.
This isn't the same as hybrid HDD where you get like 4-8GB for SSD caching.
Still Apple sheep will believe in anything so it doesn't matter.

Don't see why everyone is complaining about the overpriced SSD. Last I checked every single computer company overcharges for custom upgrades.
What does suck though. Is you cannot just simply go to Newegg and get an SSD to put in yourself. As they use a proprietary wiring scheme to send temperature data. So you need to wait until someone makes and adapter or MacSales (OWC) releases an overpriced drive that is compatible. As with the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro Retina.
I just wish every PC vendor would give the option for an SSD instead of a hard drive in all laptops and desktops. For most people a 64GB SSD is more space than they will ever need during the useful life of the computer. Instead of a regular hard drive with tons of space that will never be used. Let people opt for the SSD instead. As they cost about the same as standard sized hard drives used in desktops and laptops.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
^ Uhh not as bad as apple... $300 more over the 1tb HDD? That means the 256 SSD costs $400, double what you can get on newegg. I mean if they overcharge by like $50 then thats ok, but this is insane.
Also replacing the hard drive yourself may be difficult with a mac, but ive dont it with a store bought pc before. A little more of a hassle but very doable

Timmy225

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
I like the Fusion drive or have two drives, one smaller SSD for the OS and programs and another large standard for storage which is what the fusion does anyway.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Geez, another misleading article. SSD's have been an option on iMac since the last version. Apple just increased the size options. Another misleading article from people who favor another solution. What is up with that.
Also for those that are surprised that a SSD is priced higher than a HDD has not been paying attention. It has always been that way. All manufacturers charge more for a SSD since it is considered an upgrade. No one charges new egg or PriceWatch/PriceGrabber prices for a manufactured machine. That is why it has always been cheaper to just build your own box rather then buy from a manufacturer. Better hardware at a lower price point in most cases. You just get virtually no support along with it. That is the trade off.
Oh well, I guess no Apple article on Toms Hardware is complete without the normal amount of misinformation and popular hatred.

halcyon

Splendid
I believe the thinking is that if you're buying a Mac you're not trying to save money. This philosophy isn't anything new for Apple and many folks can afford to overpay.

Pup Eterni

Honorable
May 5, 2013
They're charging between $0 - $100 more than Newegg for an SSD. Don't compare traditional HDD prices to SSD. It's a new technology that is still in it's infancy. Given enough time, a 1 TB SSD will cost you the same as a 1 TB HDD does now.

Status
Not open for further replies.