Apple Fixes 17" MacBook Pro Graphics Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

christop

Distinguished
This sound familiar... The ibook graphic card would separate from the board and go crazy like that or just blank screen... It could have been repaired by Apple if you had problems at the time of the recall.. I just would never spend the money on a laptop that cost 3 times the price for the hardware and the O.S is not that great to me.. They have good advertising that's about all...

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]Glad to see they're fixing it. Its a shame to see people still whining that Apple products cots "3 times the price for the hardware" though.[/citation]

It's a shame that for "3x the price for hardware" the product doesn't "Just work". :p

G

the "but they do" comment was in regards to the 3x price... stupid posting delay!

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I would have liked Apple to offer a 9800 or something, and enable hybrid SLI. I understand the hit it would take on battery life, but perhaps it really comes down to an issue with heat. As cool as the MBP looks, it's svelte dimensions don't allow for much airflow. Shame, really. But I would still rather have a MBP than a flimsy plastic/partly plastic notebook. I'm looking at you, Fujitsu and Toshiba. Your durable metal cases are held together by extraordinarily flimsy plastic screen hinges. I've seen them break all too often. Don't get me started with Dell or HP, either.
That said, the price for Mac notebooks is hardly 3x the cost of competing notebooks. They bother to use higher quality components on their circuit boards. It really does make a difference, especially when using headphones and the electronic hissing noise of the mainboard circuitry is all but filtered out.

copenhagenlc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
"Glad to see there fixing it"?

They are not telling us how they fixed it, which is bogas. Apples is probably down clocking the chip to reduce the heat output, therefore gimping your GPU

barrychuck

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Quick end to the debate of gimping would be to xbench before and after the firmware update. Same score means it was just a glitch, I mean undocumented feature.

You would think they would use a couple of copper heatpipes to use the entire aluminum case as a heatsink, but then somebody would sue for a burn on the lap (or worse)http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/11/22/man_burns_penis_with_laptop/

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Master Exon[/nom]It's a shame, too. I would have liked to have seen this Mac product as Apple's first competitive mid range gaming laptop.[/citation]
Only if you plan on installing Windows.

christop

Distinguished
Glad to see they're fixing it. Its a shame to see people still whining that Apple products cots "3 times the price for the hardware" though. GLAD YOU ARE THE CHUMP THAT BOUGHT THAT SHIT FOOL...

andy_newton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
So christop here prefers cheap plastic laptops that will develop bulges on top of its heatsinks, offering much much less than 105 SNR and "hissing" towards its end of life rather than a MBP 17"

A pure genius.

We should all learn from the great christop and follow his/her example in every aspect of our lives.

christop

Distinguished
I don't own a laptop .... I never claimed to be great ANDY.. It is just my opinion.. I would rather have a killer desktop instead of a underpowered laptop.... I can tell you are a Mac user from your snob like comments... Think different... Ha ha get in line with the rest of the cattle MOOO VE ALONG NOW.... Another thing why is it the first guy who post get crap from all the pros on here.. O and ANDY IF YOU LOOK AT MY PROFILE PIC THAT'S MY CAT USING A MAC....

Status
Not open for further replies.