Apple Fixes Bug That Deletes User Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Seems like a mighty big bug...what the heck happened to the QA team (did they take a looooong lunch break or something?)

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Over 100 bug fixes? Fixed an issue where all of a user's data is deleted? Seems odd for an operating system that "Just Works" and doesn't come with the "Pain of using a PC". Odd indeed.

G

[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]Over 100 bug fixes? Fixed an issue where all of a user's data is deleted? Seems odd for an operating system that "Just Works" and doesn't come with the "Pain of using a PC". Odd indeed.[/citation]
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]It is apple, they don't make mistake, this is most likely user bad use of the system. Base on apple ego lastic testimonial.[/citation]
[citation][nom]applefulloflies[/nom]Apple with no hassle, bugs, or virus....lol[/citation]

what is this, sarcasm day?

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]roofus[/nom]So will Mac and PC Guy talk about this on the commercial?[/citation]
M$ should have really done a counter ad when they had the chance, it would have been epic

PC laughs and pokes Mac: Hey Mac, I hear you delete all your data when someone else touches you.
Mac looking stupified: What? Where did you here that?
PC laughs and pokes Mac: Hey Mac, I hear you delete all your data when someone else touches you.
Mac looking stupified: What? Where did you here that?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]iloveyourface[/nom]what is this, sarcasm day?[/citation]
Well bugs in OSX are funny when Apple says, Macs just work and don't have problems PCs do, yet they fix bugs and obviously don't just work, unless deleting user files is what they mean by that. I think the sarcasm is justified, shouldn't talk so big unless you are sure of what you can do.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]Over 100 bug fixes? Fixed an issue where all of a user's data is deleted? Seems odd for an operating system that "Just Works" and doesn't come with the "Pain of using a PC". Odd indeed.[/citation]

Just the Guest account data was deleted during the upgrade. Personally, I have never used a guest account on a Win or Mac machine. I guess if you cannot be trusted with a real account then it was the shits for you, but then it still is the shits for you if you are still just a "guest."

A lot of the fixes are minor in my book. Fixes like: an issue in Dictionary when using Hebrew as the primary language, shutter-click sound effect when taking a screen shot, an issue with the four-finger swipe gesture, an issue adding images to contacts in Address Book, an issue in Front Row that could cause sluggish or slow frame rates while watching videos, etc. Not really issues that relate to the integrity/stability of the OS.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]Just the Guest account data was deleted during the upgrade. Personally, I have never used a guest account on a Win or Mac machine. I guess if you cannot be trusted with a real account then it was the shits for you, but then it still is the shits for you if you are still just a "guest."[/citation]
Wrong. The bug caused a main account's data to be deleted if the guest account was enabled before upgrading to Snow Leopard and after upgrading, a user logged onto the guest account and then someone logged back into a regular account. Doesn't really matter if you have never used a guest account before, that is a huge bug that shouldn't happen. I've set up guest accounts on my computers before. I know you defend Apple at every chance but at least get your facts straight.

[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]A lot of the fixes are minor in my book. Fixes like: an issue in Dictionary when using Hebrew as the primary language, shutter-click sound effect when taking a screen shot, an issue with the four-finger swipe gesture, an issue adding images to contacts in Address Book, an issue in Front Row that could cause sluggish or slow frame rates while watching videos, etc. Not really issues that relate to the integrity/stability of the OS.[/citation]

-an issue that might cause your system to logout unexpectedly
-a problem that prevented authenticating as an administrative user
-an issue that prevented opening files downloaded from the Internet

I would say those relate to the stability and integrity of the OS pretty well.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom] I know you defend Apple at every chance but at least get your facts straight.[/citation]

Ouch!

Even if a person did loose data then that is what happens if you do not back-up your drives. Tough shit. Probably the same mentality that is having all kinds of issues with Win 7 installs.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]M$ should have really done a counter ad when they had the chance, it would have been epicPC laughs and pokes Mac: Hey Mac, I hear you delete all your data when someone else touches you.Mac looking stupified: What? Where did you here that?PC laughs and pokes Mac: Hey Mac, I hear you delete all your data when someone else touches you.Mac looking stupified: What? Where did you here that?[/citation]
that would be funny as hell.

I bet one of those "fixes" was the getting rid of atom support.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]Ouch!Even if a person did loose data then that is what happens if you do not back-up your drives. Tough shit. Probably the same mentality that is having all kinds of issues with Win 7 installs.[/citation]
And what issues would those be?

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
yeah everyone know atom support was going away mainly i think because of dell mini 9's i guess people with hackintoshes wont be upgrading because they know about the ATOM support

LOL apple take a seat next to MS, that data deleting with guest account no matter which way you look at it is a MASSIVE MASSIVE screw up on apples part, definately ruined thier image

thepinkpanther

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]M$ should have really done a counter ad when they had the chance, it would have been epicPC laughs and pokes Mac: Hey Mac, I hear you delete all your data when someone else touches you.Mac looking stupified: What? Where did you here that?PC laughs and pokes Mac: Hey Mac, I hear you delete all your data when someone else touches you.Mac looking stupified: What? Where did you here that?[/citation]

meh i like it when better companies dont talk about their competitors directly, it makes them seem like their scared of something

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
"over a hundred fixes"

Funny and ironic knowing that the only reason why OSx is so worst than Windows anymore with so many flaws, or that they barely ever address issues of their operating system that they release updates every once in a very very long time and yet noone is comlpaining to make it so loud of an issue over the net is simply cause of their small userbase and why they keep getting away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.