Apple Founding Documents for Auction; $100K+ Expected

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Sad commentary on civilization when a company built on deceit, fraud, and stealing from its gullible fanbase has the chutzpah to smear their faces in excrement. The sooner we bury Apple, the sooner their will more light in technology.[/citation]
Don't you mean Google or Samsung, who are both far worse?

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]mrpijey[/nom]It's pretty scary and sad how retarded some of your replies are in here, but I guess your personal hate overshadows any reasonable thought processes you might still have.It's really tragic.One doesn't need to like Apple to see the historical value of these papers, Apple is one of the most successful companies in the modern computer era and will go down in history with giants like IBM, Microsoft, Sony and others. And Apple using their own business methods surely managed to take the world going their own way instead of doing what everyone else did before.If you can't at least see the historical value of these papers then you're plain dumb. The monetary value of these papers can of course be questioned, but as always in an auction the one that pays the highest wins, regardless if it's a TV, piece of papers, old painting or a rare bolt. Simple as that.And I bet similar papers for IBM or Microsoft would fetch a similar sum of money if not more if they would ever surface and end up in an action.To all you sickly Apple haters, grow up... If you don't like Apple then stay away from these topics and don't infect the forums and sites with your pointless trolling and hate. Doesn't do anyone good.As for Wayne he had a lot to lose, and who knew back then that Apple would become as successful as it is today. It's always easy to ridicule and laugh at him today when we got history as evidence, not as easy when the future isn't written and you got a lot of personal stuff at risk, remember that a lot more companies crash and burn than become successful. And this happened in the very infancy of personal computing, so it was a brand new market and development.[/citation]
...I don't hate Apple or Apple products...I hate the typical Apple fanbois who dislike the fact that people more often than not disagree with Apple and the way they do business or just simply the Apple loyalists that go along with Apple products. Apple fanbois give it right back to the Droid-lovers so why are you bitching in defense of Apple when it constantly goes back-and-forth??? Little one sided don't you think? If you can't handle the jabs then maybe you shouldn't be here either and "infect the forums"...

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
ericburnby :
Don't you mean Google or Samsung, who are both far worse?

I am certainly not happy to be using Google as much as I do. I find Google a threat to freedom, but at least they are not trying to infest hardware with DRM, and Google is not pushing forpay locked-down standards as Apple does.

I completely disagree with your claim about Samsung. I like using Samsung, but if another company came out with a better smartphone I would happily move to the better technology, except for Apple. Apple is such a disgusting threat to technology that I would consider it intellectually embarrassing and immoral to be seen with any of their products, even if it were a superior product (which they have
yet to produce!). Sad commentary on Apple indeed, but that is the reaction you get if you try to lockup a free man in a cage.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Seriously immature replies for the most part here.

I don't care if you like Apple or not, they are and have been a driving force in the computer industry - more at some times than others. Just the degree of vitriol being spewed forth in the replies here should indicate to some degree the impact they've had. If they didn't have an impact, if they lasted as long as - say - BeOS did, nobody much would care.

The papers have historical interest. Just like those that would document the founding of Microsoft, IBM (as previously mentioned,) Intel, AMD, Ford, etc. have. Or, for that matter, letters, say, from Tolkein discussing being stuck on a section of "this story I'm writing," or the initial outlines Lucas had for Star Wars (which have little to no bearing on the final product.) And the "$100,000 - buy papers or feed children?" comments are just as foolish. If a museum buys them, that $100,000 would not have gone toward feeding children either. It will, however, preserve a bit of history.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
They are NOT and have NOT been a driving force in the computer industry. They were a failing company that was on it's last leg when they put out to market an MP3 PLAYER. An EXTREMELY overpriced MP3 player at that.

PRAISE APPLE FOR THEIR GENIUS!

[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]Did you just compare the Magna Carta, a 700 year old document that helped shape a country and arguably all of western civilization, to these papers?[/citation]
Hey, it was just a copy of the Magna Carta, not the signed original. Still of great historical significance, but not the actual thing.

webspin

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
How can so many stupid commenter's all have opinions on the same topic?!?
To the comment of "feeding all the starving children" two points

1. Not one cent on wealth is destroyed by purchasing these documents. $100,000 (and I doubt these will sell for that insanely cheap number) simply transferee's from one individual to another.
2. Most countries "full of starving children" double their populations every 25 years. One needn't be a math major to see the problem in the equation isn't a lack of food.

To the numerous comments of hate toward Apple, without Apples biting at the heals of first IBM and then Microsoft, we'd be using a degree of less sophisticated technology today. What Apple pulled off was astounding and is a testament to it's founder and engineers. Again, do the math. If Microsoft writes code that requires X number of copies be sold to cover costs, how was it even conceivable that a company like Apple could do the same selling just 1/20 the number? Not only did they compete at that fraction but managed to innovate and set the bar high! You don't have to be very old to remember how Apple did it again with the Iphone. A company with absolutely no history in the phone market and no installed base of users managed to change the face of smart phones to the point that most of you are using an Apple inspired phone today.

Status
Not open for further replies.