Apple, Google Reportedly Bid $500 Million For Kodak Patents

Status
Not open for further replies.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
On topic? The issue are patent licenses already in use. I would expect those licensing costs to rise or to not be made available to increase a competitive edge. The issue is not what Apple/Google would do with them themselves, rather how the patents will be used against others.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]On topic? The issue are patent licenses already in use. I would expect those licensing costs to rise or to not be made available to increase a competitive edge. The issue is not what Apple/Google would do with them themselves, rather how the patents will be used against others.[/citation]

As long as Samsung doesn't get their mitts on any of the patents.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Either company has the money to buy them outright for the $2.6 billion Kodak says they're worth. Why are they bothering to team up to spend what amounts to them as pocket change?

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]This new business model achieves to maximize profits through litigation. Impact to users is likely minimal, but other businesses should beware.[/citation]

impact to users is always more than minimal when a company loses money. The people who buy the products have to spend more because of it. If the extra costs are on both sides, as is the case with the Apple/Samsung situation, then the users have no choices but to spend more on one side or the other, unless they just have no use for either. Sure, my Mom isn't going to lose money over it, but I sure am.

Status
Not open for further replies.