Apple Introduces 7nm A12 Bionic CPU for iPhone XS

Status
Not open for further replies.

eza

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
How many cores does this thing have?! Six CPU, four GPU, and eight core "neural engine" (whatever that even means... it's probably just a fancy name for FPU) which comes to 18 ...

Sep 10, 2018
face id is so bad, I which morns ganaff thier necks and struggle. even if its does work like it should now, I think there is something awful wrong with bowing to your phone 40 times a day. anyone who cares about security has a decent pin, or very stong pW. I think smart phone are way ahead of they way most people use them for. both Samsung and apple are just doing this whole dog-n-pony show at this point.

stdragon

Admirable
The only iPhone I would be interested in is the smaller Xs, but they removed Touch ID! So if you're driving, you must put your life in danger by looking (Face ID) at the phone to unlock where as I can just unlock with one hand quickly with the more reliable and safer Touch ID.

Do not want! I'll pass.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
This will be great for making phone calls, sending texts, and checking to see if I'm getting a good deal on a replacement toilet handle at Home Depot.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

You mean, to replace the one you broke by flushing so much money down the toilet on Apple products?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Yeah, there's a lot of tech in there that's basically just a solution looking for a problem.

The basic camera improvements are probably the only new features most people will actually use.

The machine learning stuff is just slightly creepy. I'm sure it'll lead to a better Siri, but how much more do you want your phone to know about you and what you're doing, minute-by-minute?

stdragon

Admirable

You got that right! Welcome to "shadow computing" where all that AI acceleration is nothing more than to profile your every action for analytical monetization. And you all thought all those processing cycles was to your benefit. WRONG!

Yeah, not the computing utopia we had all thought.

Oh, and Apple died with Jobs. They just don't know it yet.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

What about hackers?

I'm waiting for the first time Face ID is used to identify a perpetrator in a lineup. Only, what if the biometric data they use isn't the correct one, but actually evidence planted to frame someone?

Biometric data can also potentially be used to cyber-stalk someone. People will rejoice when your Apple car recognizes all of your friends by their biometric data, but if your car can do that, probably so can a lot of other things.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Wow a Bionic CPU, Neural engine, and 5 trillion operations per second? Yet us Windows and Android peeps are the ones called geeks and nerds because we emphasize faster and more efficient hardware...Pot meet kettle!

Status
Not open for further replies.