Apple iPhone 4S, Part 1: More Horsepower, Better Hardware

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]I have yet to find someone how thinks the 4S is revolutionary. Innovative, yes, but not revolutionary. And people think iOS5 has new features which Android had simply because people are more aware of the iPhone rather than Android phones. Living in NY, there are a lot of busy routes. One such route which is commonly used to get to Manhattan has a huge billboard advertising the iPhone. Remember, these routes are full of busy people getting to work and so on. The iPhone is going to look appealing to such people. Why? Because they make of majority of the market for smartphones.[/citation]

Android is, by far, the market leader for smartphones.
http://h30565.www3.hp.com/t5/Mobility-Matters/Android-market-share-grows-again-in-August-iPhone-flat/ba-p/441

Think it passed the ios over a year ago! And people (mostly Apple fanboys) still think that they lead the market?

halcyon

Splendid
Of course Android is the market leader. There's lots and lots of different Android phone makers. ...only one Apple making iPhones. I just don't see why its so important to people. Apple seems to be doing well and the Android fans seem happy with their "superior" handsets.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Fixed.

Regarding the article .... one question .... does it make phone calls ? It is after all a phone. Thought ya mighta covered that in "Part 1".

As far as Apple's success, it falls to two things....1) users rarely need TS, everything just "works" and 2) when they need it, what they get is incomparable. Compare that w/ the recent article on LG's Android phone where the user had to wipe his contacts, apps, pictures and everything else .... then use his phone for three days so LG could confirm it was something on his phone causing the problem before would agree to address his issue.

I come to Tom's Hardware to read about PCs and their components; stuff you can buy, build, and tweak yourself, peacemeal; and all kinds of related comparisons, news, and reviews. I enjoy reading and contributing to the forums. I don't come here to read about phones. Yes, I could have skipped this entirely; the point is that this is not the sort of LEAD story I expect on this site. Just my opinion, although I believe it is shared. Thanks for listening.

G

Wow! Apple they have effective marketing strat. Iphone fever won't last long people catching up, BS! advertising. When is going to end Iphone100. I love apple products. I feel getting rip off every year. LOL!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Oh, it IS shared, trust me.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Compare the iPhone using the same bench marks to the Galaxy S ll and we will see really how good the iPhone 4s is with its meager 512 megs or ram. Again this whole thing is a joke.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
so toms is doing a 2 part on this and not Bulldozer?
I guess iPhone 4s is a real important contribution to technology. LOL ;-)

iCrap just began using dual core processors in their smart phones...Jeez
what an innovative idea only a genius could have thought of that. Soon they will be inventing the use of 1 gig of ram in smart phones, not to mention larger screens. You cant make this up!!!

G

Some one try to find out, what kind of DSP processor it has. It sounds like powerhouse, but noone seems to care, as its not so much graphics related.

flip_x

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/11/iphone-4s-vs-android-benchmarks-posted-even-the-galaxy-s-ii-is-getting-smoked-for-now-at-least/

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]flip_x[/nom]http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/ [...] -at-least/[/citation]
"This can't be right...the testing is rigged...it has to be. Surely, if they'd don't it correctly the iPhones would be in last place."

LOL.

zeromikey

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
i hate apple (have iphone4) ONLY due to their genius marketing strategy of releasing basically updates as NEW phones. this isn't revolutionary neither were the last (insert random high value here) iPhone updates they have released. Such a brilliant scam they are running there in apple.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]so toms is doing a 2 part on this and not Bulldozer?[/citation]

I dedicated one week, 12,000 words, and 24 pages to Bulldozer. Our 990FX motherboard round-up is coming up, and we'll have at least one additional story on the architecture's efficiency. Try not to too twisted over one day spent with the iPhone ;-)

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Device Unknown[/nom]man oh man, I woke up this morning, sat down with my normal cup of coffee, sat down in my nice recliner and opened Tomshardware.com and when I seen the title "Apple4S" I about spilled my coffee. First thought was "oh boy, shit gunna hit the fan now!" aaand it did lol. To be honest I didn't read the article at all. I like most of Toms readers could give 2 shits about Apple products.As far as the guy who said "I don't know about you but I also think it is amazing that a year later any iPhone can hold its value much better then its competing Android counterpart. When I purchased my Nexus S it wasn't to bad, but a couple months later and a huge chunk of the value was lost. Whether you like it or not the iPhone can hold its value due to the large demand. " DUHHH when you pay out the friggin ass for something do you really want to sell it at such a huge loss? So like I pay 800 bucks for a iPhone, have it 3 days, despise it and try to sell it for as much as I can to recoup the extreme cost of such a piece of crap. And since most Apple users are ignorant, they will be happy to pay almost new price for a used hunk of crap. hence they "reatain value"[/citation]

This is an extra bit of weekend content that doesn't affect our normal operations. The usual PC-oriented content resumes tonight at 9 PM PST. :)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Also the fact that it still has the same enraging design, no HDMI, no USB-on-the-Go... if I buy an expensive toy, I want it to have ALL the bells and whistles available, not just some.

Well, and yes, if there's something that's not made by crApple and has the same functionality, I'd go for that rather than Apple.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Glad to hear it, but there's really too much phone/console/tablet/unrelated stuff on this website lately; and the excuse of "It's on Tom's Guide" doesn't work anymore - this is Tom's Hardware ;)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Sure. Take a look at this thread.

While I'm really happy with the PC hardware articles lately (BD article was great, SSD article arrived exactly when I wanted to read one, etc.), there's still a ton of article suggestions that everybody will welcome much more than the same old iPhone vs Android holywar-starters. LCD roundup? Cases roundup? Server hardware roundup, and written in such a manner that a gamer can learn something from it? :)

So, you see, Tom's hasn't really missed anything... but it's the equivalent of me building a computer for the client and "not missing anything": the machine boots, works fine, everything is running, client is happy. However, the cables are a mess, the components I chose were not the best for money... get the analogy? :) I think that every PC enthusiast here will rejoice if the website's resources will be allocated more towards the in-depth PC hardware comparison.

I understand that - for some incomprehensible reason - Tom's needs these tablet/phone/etc. articles, but could you at least kick them ALL out to Tom's Guide and add a little option in every user's profile: "Display Tom's Guide News on the main page news feed - Yes/No"? That way, everyone who truly doesn't want to hear about anything besides PC hardware can be happy, and whoever wants to read about cell phones and consoles can keep doing so.

Oh yeah! :sol:

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
I have an LCD story in the system ready to go, we have a case round-up that'll be live in a couple of weeks, and the rest of the beats are firing on all cylinders :)

Here's the thing: Guide tackles the consumer angle. Rachel and her team aren't as concerned with benchmarks, display uniformity, Wi-Fi performance, and so on; they write about the user experience. So, we decided to add more portable device coverage to the existing content we produce, with all of the Hardware-style testing typical of our other stories.

Again, normally on the weekend, the site would be idle as we all recover from one hell of a Bulldozer-filled week. Yesterday's iPhone piece was "bonus." It really shouldn't bother anyone that much ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.