Apple Issuing Fix for 2018 MacBook Pro Throttling

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
A few comments I've seen indicate the the Macbook fan profile is very conservative, such that fans are only spinning at moderate speeds even as the CPU is overheating and aggressively downclocking. If they're claiming to fix this using software, it seems that adjusting the default fan profile is one of the only things they can do. No idea how this relates to the mentioned "digital key" though.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
My take on the "digital key" part is that OSX probably requires each system component (software/driver) to be digitally signed. If a component's validity and authenticity can't be verified, the OS will just refuse to use it.

Having a component of thermal management disabled could make the software side inoperational, leading to hardware-imposed throttling once the temperatures climb too high. This hypothesis is also compatible with the fact that the fans don't ramp up even when throttling: the software that should instruct them to do so isn't working.

closs.sebastien

Honorable
Feb 9, 2018
I'm not sure of how a software update can make the cooling more efficient... The heatspreader/heatpipes are undersized, that's it. it is a conceptual issue, hardware issue.
Even if they make the fan much faster, I doubt that it's enough to cool a 3.8 ghz turbo mode without make it throttling.

Giroro

Splendid
What does "digitial key" mean in this context.

If Apple wants people to believe that they can fix something like thermal (or vrm?) throttling in software, then they better be prepared to offer a real explanation instead of trying to breeze past it with Star Trek technobabble.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
There is an easy fix. Make them as thick as a ThinkPad and add 5 pounds to the weight. It will get rid of heat like a mother *

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like the update did bring some improvement. It looks like previously the CPU would aggressively try to hit max turbo clocks (4.3 GHz for all core), overheat, throttle back (sometimes well below even base clock), cool down a bit, and then repeat. So the frequency was bouncing all over the place. With the update it seems to more intelligently target a boost clock that's more or less sustainable (~4.0 GHz). It seems like this improved overall performance, in addition to making it more consistent.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-macbook-pro-speed-throttling-patch-tested/
https://www.macworld.com/article/3292640/macbook/macos-update-fixes-macbook-pro-throttling.html

Hopefully there will be some more comprehensive investigation (I'm still curious to see if fan speed/noise changed).

GTMoraes

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
"Digital Key" might as well be just a technical mumbo-jumbo. They might be just increasing the throttling limit and making the fan curve more aggressive.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Maybe the "digital key" is like the keychain password you have in Mac OS that no one understands the purpose of. You have a login password, you have a keychain password. You reset your keychain, it never asks for it again except randomly when it prompts and you again have to reset it.

stdragon

Admirable
More like a "feature key" where the mobile processor can be individually profiled per the supporting vendor. Not the same as traditional microcode that actually patches documented CPU errata.

Art_8_

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
I installed this and don't see really much of any improvement, throttles like heck on Premiere CC

Status
Not open for further replies.