News Apple: It's Really Up to Microsoft to Make Windows Work on M1-Based Macs

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Well Apple , I dont think Microsoft would bother now that there are like 0.00000000001% people who are using your new chip.

yes you control 10% of the PC market (notebook) but thats the X86 market.

until you sell like few millions notebooks using ARM , I dont think that Microsoft would bother. at the end they want to sell their products not keep them on the shelves.

Last edited:

everettfsargent

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
(1) Windows ported to M1 ARM.
(2) 3rd party Windows applications ported to Windows port on M1 ARM.

BootCamp allowed Windows and 3rd party applications to run directly on x86/64 Intel hardware afaik. Appears to be an easy thing to do given the existing x86/64 user base.

As long as there are Intel based Macs, expect to see the Mac user experience to be another 2X cost increase (if one needs, or wants, both x86 and ARM based Macs at the same time).

Apple has very deep pockets just like Intel, so that Apple will likely need to pay for a Windows experience, both for the OS and 3rd party applications.

Am I missing something here? Seriously.

Apple has very deep pockets just like Intel, so that Apple will likely need to pay for a Windows experience, both for the OS and 3rd party applications.

Apple doesn't care about giving anybody the windows experience on the new M1 computers that's the whole point, they want to be in full control of the whole ecosystem.

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
I don't see any reason to spend significant resources to support Apple's silicon.
You either join their religion or throw their silicon into trash bin.

Gomez Addams

Prominent
Mar 4, 2020
(1) Windows ported to M1 ARM.
(2) 3rd party Windows applications ported to Windows port on M1 ARM.

BootCamp allowed Windows and 3rd party applications to run directly on x86/64 Intel hardware afaik. Appears to be an easy thing to do given the existing x86/64 user base.

As long as there are Intel based Macs, expect to see the Mac user experience to be another 2X cost increase (if one needs, or wants, both x86 and ARM based Macs at the same time).

Apple is not likely to pay Microsoft for that. They will view it as a business decision for Microsoft and it is. It is up to MS to decide whether they think it is worth the effort to sell Windows for M1s. I tend to think it won't be a money-making proposition for them immediately BUT the technology gained will be useful in the longer term. This is only the first variant of the M1 from Apple and there are likely to be several more and THOSE are where Microsoft will be more likely to make money. I would bet good money that Microsoft has porting efforts underway at this very moment.

I think it will be very interesting to see what Apple's machines with discrete GPUs look like. Who knows what GPU they will use? For all I know, it could be Intel's. It could also be a proprietary one. I just don't know. What I do know is if the real estate used by the GPU on the M1 was used for more performance cores that could be a really screaming machine. Imagine removing the GPU and all but one efficiency core and using that area for performance cores - maybe sixteen of them one chip. I bet it would give AMD some serious competition at multi-threading.