Apple Killing Psystar, OpeniMac Arrives

Status
Not open for further replies.

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
You got the prices wrong. The symbol for argentine pesos is the same as the dollar, but they're not worth the same.

990 Argentine pesos = 285.80 U.S. dollars
1710 Argentine pesos = 493.65 U.S. dollars

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Honestly I think its Apple who needs to be a bit worried. Apple tries to market their computers as something other than PC's which is a claim that they are a entirely different product. This would clearly mean they are a monopoly and could face lawsuits.

If they tried to refute such lawsuits they would have to argue against their own marketing and claim their computers are indeed just PC's. Which isn't going to look good for them in court, to investors, and to consumers.

However if they don't try to fight such companies as Psystar they could easily find themselves losing more and more business on their Macs as the #1 goal of their new competitors will be to compete in pricing.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
If apple would set fair prices on their equipment, then they would attract much more business. I'm sorry, but it usually costs about $1000 more than a similar PC. And what do you get for this? Beauty over functionality. They ride too much on their cool factor. It's simply pathetic that a 15" macbook pro only has 2 usb ports. And, with the last macbook, they wanted $700 to upgrade to 4gb when you could buy it online for around $150.

RIP OFFS!

G

Correction: You can get 4gb laptop ram online for about $60~80 =)

G

Correction: You can't get Apple ram for less than $700.

And ensuring standard ram (thats $60 to $80) will work in that fickle Apple machine is a risk not everyone is willing to take.

=)

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]If apple would set fair prices on their equipment, then they would attract much more business. I'm sorry, but it usually costs about $1000 more than a similar PC. And what do you get for this? Beauty over functionality. They ride too much on their cool factor. It's simply pathetic that a 15" macbook pro only has 2 usb ports. And, with the last macbook, they wanted $700 to upgrade to 4gb when you could buy it online for around $150.RIP OFFS![/citation]

The inflated price point is part of their marketing. There is the retarded notion that Apple is some how quality, and Apple product are some type of God send.

G

I want to log in with a user name, but what a hassle.
Anyhow, Apple has always front loaded a purchase price with hardware. That is why you can purchase much of it's software, including the OS, for a much lower price. (And a lot of the very nice utilities come free with the OS, giving a good out of the box experience.)
But the hardware is also usually loaded with goodies that make the price pretty comparable to an equally loaded WinPC.
There is a legitimate complaint, however, about the price of product upgrades (such as HD and RAM) as well as a lack of a lower cost machine. They really should put difficult to upgrade parts more in parody with DIY upgrades, tacking on maybe $50 over retail on a hard drive upgrade. Charging what they do for RAM is just ridiculous, but I think those days are coming to an end.
A bad economy can repair a lot of attitudes on pricing, I think!

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Bignumone[/nom](And a lot of the very nice utilities come free with the OS, giving a good out of the box experience.)But the hardware is also usually loaded with goodies that make the price pretty comparable to an equally loaded WinPC.[/citation]
Ubuntu.

Free software isn't an argument for Macs, it's an argument for Linux. Outside of the simple utilities they provide, that's it. And if this software is supposedly free, Why are they selling it on their website? Because it isn't free. You can't upgrade for free to a newer version, and there aren't any other free alternatives.

macbrush

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
I agree that most Apple products are overpriced. But I would consider Apple monitors cheap nowadays, i am talking about the old line, not the new 24" LED panel. Check out their specs, it would costs you almost double for the same professional panel from Samsung, or three times as much if you go for a Eizo.

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
The only thing getting in the way of anyone making Apple "clones" is the DMCA which is not the case anywhere else. Psystar would've still been making computers today if they were based somewhere outside of the United States. That's my two cents. Its only a matter of time until a company starts selling decent hardware capable of running OS X from a region where they are safe from the DMCA.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Honestly I think its Apple who needs to be a bit worried. Apple tries to market their computers as something other than PC's which is a claim that they are a entirely different product. This would clearly mean they are a monopoly and could face lawsuits.If they tried to refute such lawsuits they would have to argue against their own marketing and claim their computers are indeed just PC's. Which isn't going to look good for them in court, to investors, and to consumers. However if they don't try to fight such companies as Psystar they could easily find themselves losing more and more business on their Macs as the #1 goal of their new competitors will be to compete in pricing.[/citation]

I think Apple is trying to distinguish themselves from IBM clones which are commonly referred to as PCs, but I don't think they are trying to say they are not a Personal Computer (PC).

However, I can easily see why you would believe a lawyer would take such an inane argument to court - especially in the US where you have people who do things like patent tax strategies. *shakes head in disgust*

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
And people wonder why mac only has 10% of the market..

Blackmail anyone?

At least you have the OPTION of getting a HP or Dell PC.. With mac its apple or "GTHO"..

G

Why do people complain about a product they don't use? Apple produces a product that is made up of their hardware and software. If you don't like their pricing, don't use it. I don't.

They are not a monopoly, they make a personal computer that competes with the MS Windows and Linux PC's. Saying they are a monopoly is like saying the Wii is one, simply because only one company is making them. The Wii is not because it competes against the Xbox.

Apple spends big money on advertising to sell their product and are understandably annoyed when someone tries to steal their sales. Just because MS Windows and Linux don't care about the hardware (their choice) does not mean Apple does not have to.

So stop complaining and just treat them the same way as someone that has Air Jordan shoes (and does play sports) or has a Gucci anything.

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
The previous poster just made one ugly circle in his argument. Apples are trying to distinguish themselves from PCs? I would say they are by them stating they are not a PC (which is a lie.) Too bad we don't have laws like the UK. Those commercials would have been illegal since they are blatent lies.

Also, comparing Wiis to Xbox is not the same as comparing Apples and real PCs. Apples have the same hardware as PCs, they just cost a lot more and are designed for slower users. Xboxes and Wiis are both consoles, but they do not share the same hardware. Actualy, Wiis use late 1990s technology while the Xbox uses mid 2000s technology.

Usualy when you buy Jordans, or a nice watch, you get good quality and a good product that looks good. From Apple, you get a product that looks good.... did I leave anything out? I can't say you get good quality from Apple as their technology is so old, it should be mature by the time they use it.

I think people just find it fascinating that people pay 2x for a computer and get half as much. Seriously. Apple is for people that are several classes away from knowing how to run a computer.

G

Thanks saturn77 for saving me from all that typing.

I honestly don't know how Apple managed to brainwash all these poor souls into believing that they are actually buying a product that Apple solely manufactures.

Sorry to break your programing Apple fans but ever since they started using the Intel CPU they have been nothing more then a PC Clone, thats a fact!

Well I gotta go, Time Machine just finished making its back up and I'm going to reboot into XP,
ah, the joys of owning a PC running OSX. Notice I didn't say Mac Clone? Because if a Mac Clone is not a Mac then that would make it a PC right? And you can't call it a PC Clone because it's not a clone... But is in fact a PC....but It's running OSX... Sure it is, because its a PC and a PC can run OSX because a Mac is a PC Clone.

Confused yet? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.