Apple Launches Two Crazily Skinny MacBook Airs

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]*sturdy not study...lol. Wish we could edit comments![/citation]
You can edit comments. Just click the "Read the comments on the forums" link just above the comments section. You can edit them in the forums. Only works for Tomshardware articles, not tomsguide, etc.

As for the Air, this is pretty much an expensive netbook? Not that I think its bad, the specs are actually pretty good, but I just don't know how many people will spend $1000+ on a netbook. I guess if anybody would its Apple's sheeple. If it came with Linux (or Windows/OSX for an extra $100) and cost say $600-$900, I think it would be a good deal. The processor isn't too bad (I'm running a C2D e6750 on my gaming rig) and having an SSD is awesome, though I'd want at least the 128GB version.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]The $999 mac book air seems to be a nice choice for college students who is only focus is word process and web surfing... But i don't know... I don't want other students to think i am "rich-kid who doesn't know anything about computers who may have well spent his money on a cheaper windows." Then again i like clean, sturdy laptops, and apple usually makes good laptops. Five years on my iBook G4 and still going strong to this date, compared to an HP laptop i had two years ago and died in 14 months, and my friend's Dell laptop that died in two weeks...[/citation]

The reliability is really the untold story on Apple's computers. Simply put, they last, and they perform. People grip about specifications all the time but at the end of the day, if your stuff fails or slows down once you install a few applications, all those nice specifications don't mean much. Apple has done a great job building reliable hardware that performs almost the same from purchase date to end of life and if not they have wrapped a fantastic support program around it just in case.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]exodite[/nom]I'd gladly trade the 320M for an i3 or i5 ULV. A notebook being released only months before Sandy Bridge and Ontario/Zacate with this level of hardware is disappointing.[/citation]
Why? The 320M has much better graphics performance than the i3 or i5 w/ integrated graphics. Also, as a package, the ULV Core 2 Duo consumes *less* power than the newer i3/i5. Lower power consumption, and higher graphics performance. Makes perfect sense, actually. I personally have no plans to buy the Macbook Air, but you have to admit, it's a lot of power crammed into such a slim chassis. Crappy Atom netbooks are thicker than this.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Why? The 320M has much better graphics performance than the i3 or i5 w/ integrated graphics. Also, as a package, the ULV Core 2 Duo consumes *less* power than the newer i3/i5. Lower power consumption, and higher graphics performance. Makes perfect sense, actually. I personally have no plans to buy the Macbook Air, but you have to admit, it's a lot of power crammed into such a slim chassis. Crappy Atom netbooks are thicker than this.[/citation]
Just because Apple used the C2D doesn't mean it's better or consumes less. Also just because the i3M has integrated graphics doesn't mean that you can't use another graphics chip. Also the i3 consumes less power than the equivalent C2D the SL9600. The max TDP of the i3-330UM is just 1w higher than the SL9600. The difference is that the i3 has an integrated graphics and north bridge, or did you forgot that the Arrandale has memory controller, PCI Express, DMI,...

So, after years of denial that the "Macbook Air" is not just a glorified etbook, the 11.6" Air comes out. With specs just slightly better than a netbook and price twice (or three times, even) as high. Add less durability to boot and you've got a device that relies entirely on the logo and design to sell itself, with no substance.

In the human world, we call those people "Paris Hilton".

Status
Not open for further replies.