Apple MacBook Review: Part 1

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

totally biased, can the comparison dare not even be fair? and have to be compared with years old crappy dell laptop that uses 8400? Even compared to such old laptop it's about equal. Pls compare with new XPS 13 and macbook loses on all fronts. Not to mention dell isn't even that good a laptop brand in the first place.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I ran out of gas , seeing as i had no money I went out and bought a Ferrari . Sounds as likely as this BS piece . How does that mac run CAD , and the great resolution on those Mac screens , yeah tell me about it !

T-Bone

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
[citation][nom]jerry6[/nom]I ran out of gas , seeing as i had no money I went out and bought a Ferrari . Sounds as likely as this BS piece . How does that mac run CAD , and the great resolution on those Mac screens , yeah tell me about it ![/citation]

Yeah but Mac is NOT a Ferrari. Mac might be a Lexus or Mercedes or BMW but NOT a Ferrari. Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, that's PC territory!

joshwood123

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
why pay $2700 for a macbook pro, when you can get an ASUS W90 Series W90Vp-X1 NoteBook for $2,200???? the ASUS laptop KILLS the macbook pro, in anything and everything! it plays crysis on very high, it has more HDD space, and more ram...
or you could get an alienware laptop for cheaper than the overpriced macbookpro and you could have 8gbs of ddr3 ram...
i dont know why people buy macs
there not worth paying for, they are just useless hardware with a decent OS.. (leopard isnt that great, it has just as many problems as my XP x32 or vista x64 machines...)

G

Seriously? Macs are as secure as PCs? Less secure, even? Does Vista ship with a ton of weed?

Here's a few pointers as to why people buy and stay with Macs:
-BSD
-Usability
-Safety (~Security)
-Durability

If Linux was as usable, I'd put it on the same level as MacOSX. But its not.
If you guys did anything more than upgrade graphics cards to play Crysis @ 0.57 fps more than your friend, you would know that Macs can be used from Grandmas to Kernel Developers.

Now, about the ("useless") design. Most of you dont ever see the light of day, and your PCs are only seen by your mothers, but a lot of people go out and about with their computers: When you're on a sales team, or presenting, or whenever you have to pull something out of a laptop bag, that something being a Mac adds points to you and whomever you represent. Everyone has a fucking Asus laptop, and it dont impress nobody.

And FYI, I have used Windows since it was DOS 6. Been through all flavours of Windows. I know them to the fucking bone. Has any of you dicks ever used OSX for more than 5 minutes at the Apple store?

Some burnt-out lightbulb said "It is nothing more than a watered down version of more powerful unix/linux OS's ". Watered-down? Was that an Aqua joke? Good one. IF not, then you must understand that OSX is less a distro and more a windowing system. Like KDE. Or Gnome. Just better. Why the fuck is it watered-down? Because you couldn't find out how to open the Terminal?

"It's the computer for dummies!" said another bright star. Yeah, the computer for dummies ships out of the box with Python, Perl, PHP, C, (S)FTP/HTTP, SSH/VNC/Samba servers. Mmmhm.

Bottom line is, (a) people who think that windows and macosx are just as secure are brain damaged and should visit a doctor soon. (b) the mac isnt a cult, it is a beautiful and usable window interface under which runs one of the most secure cores known to man (BSD).

Flame on.

G

I'm reading all this rabid PC fan hate mail and conclude nobody knows what they're talking about. Experts from a distance - fear of supporting that which will make you obsolete if you don't learn. My company does media production on Macs but also uses Macs for many other business areas. There have probably been about 100 staffers in the last five years who encountered a Mac here for the first time and within a year have drop-kicked their home PCs. They begin with "why are you forcing me to use this Mac" and end with "thank you for opening my eyes". This isn't about soldering your own motherboards or tuning your own BIOS. It's about using an OS that isn't as needy and petulant as Windows. I can hardly give anyone a PC anymore.

G

What a bunch of morons. Yawn, indeed. I've been a professional programmer for as long as some of you kiddies have been sucking air on the planet and I *love* my macbook. It just runs and runs, goes months without a reboot, doesn't lock up when you close the lid and try to suspend it. It's a programmer's dream and I get plenty of work done on it. In fact, that's why I bought it; because I finally wanted a platform where I could focus on the work and not on constantly tweaking the tool.

G

The biggest reason anyone using windows gets angry over these articles is that there is never and article in the other direction, i.e. a mac user switching to windows after using a mac for their entire life. Never seen it happen. I myself switched to mac after using windows my entire life. So did the rest of my family about 4 years ago, and it goes into my extended family as well, plus my girlfriend and plenty of people who have experienced my macs and wanted to get in on the fun.

Windows people: Get over yourselves. Are there really any other arguments other than macs are more expensive? Honestly, look at a comparable mac and one from an OEM and its about the same price. (sure you could build a hackintosh for cheap, but could you also not build a PC for cheaper than from an OEM?).

I built a machine last year that runs opensolaris. 4 TB of storage, 8GB ram, 2.6Ghz AMD dual core, gig ethernet, no graphics card. To be used as a headless fileserver/media streamer/timemachine backup disk. Total cost:$1200. I could have bought a mac pro for more than twice that, put all the drives in and effectively had the same thing. BUT I would also have gotten MORE in the mac pro. I would have a rendering machine for final cut, possibly a server OS to run Xgrid on. But since all I need is fileserver capabilities and I can open my eyes and see that there are other OSes besides Mac OS X, I used Solaris and a custom-built machine. If you are stuck using windows and you've never tried anything else, please open your eyes. I realize there are things you can and cannot do on all OSes that you can and cannot do on another. Having a mixed ecosystem of computers is interesting. Try it. Put linux on an old PC. Enjoy it.

G

CANT WAIT to see what Cornflicker will do to my mac on April 1st... Oh wait. Never mind.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Yawn...! What a moron! Why are so many mac users so stupid?! It wouldnt be as bad if they were not so filled with the irrational hubris, yes the hubris that comes from ignorance.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Cant stand the sight of another technologically gullible milksop clad in the latest fads thinking that he is smart because he has been brain washed into stupidly parting with his money.

Mac has become one of the symptoms that signals the disease best described as "the erosion of rationality and self-determination" in our society. When you buy a Mac you give up control, you give up freedom. No I am not willing to part with my hard earned money to pay for over-priced second rate hardware made to look fashionable through endless advertising; and I am not stupid enough to be straight-jacketed into using an operating system as part of an agreement. I want to decide what damned operating system I put in my system. Period.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
thanks for your MacBook /Pro Review post esp the info comparing hard drive power consumption and read/write performance. i'm getting real close to upgrading to SSD for the speed. cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.