Apple Makes $156.5 Billion in 2012; Sold 125 Million iPhones

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Not really a complaint but the title should say apple made 41.66 billion ... since that's the amount they're actually left. Not that it's a small amount but just say...

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I'm glad apple is doing well...
But I'm not glad that they are not doing it in the US, I.E. creating manufacturing jobs here. Theres plenty of people here that will work even for min wage...

Something is better than nothing....

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]Apple is degrading the tech industry and holding it back[/citation]
Stupid comment of the day goes to you.

How is Apple holding anything back? Has Intel slowed its progress in making new processors because of something Apple did? Is Apple forcing you to buy their products over competitors? Are Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS, Samsung and others given up on introducing new and innovative products because of Apple? Has Apple's existence prevented you from building your own custom gaming rig with your choice of smoking fast graphics cards and SSD's?

The tech industry has been humming along fine for 30 years now and every year processors are getting faster, storage is getting cheaper and new technologies are coming out people would have never dreamed about a few years earlier.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Why are company financial reports (earnings, debts and so forth) part of a TECH site?
I mean, just because a company produces consumer grade tech doesn't mean its financial reports are part of tech news - that would be in a different section.

I'm getting really tired of such articles.
They have nothing to do with technology itself.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Stupid comment of the day goes to you...
Are Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS, Samsung and others given up on introducing new and innovative products because of Apple?[/citation]

Actually Apple is ! You can bet you behind that Dell, HP etc. are spending a load of money on attorneys to figure out what they can, and can not bring to market.
It cuts back on competition and forced people into buying things they may not have bought. Or make it impossible for someone to buy a NON Apple product because it simply never made it past the legal team.

[citation][nom]deksman[/nom]Why are company financial reports (earnings, debts and so forth) part of a TECH site?I mean, just because a company produces consumer grade tech doesn't mean its financial reports are part of tech news - that would be in a different section.I'm getting really tired of such articles.They have nothing to do with technology itself.[/citation]

Knowing how a tech-related company most certainly is doing financially is relevant to technology. If you're tired of such articles, then there's no good reason for you to read and/or comment on their comments sections. However, your opinion of them doesn't make them any less relevant to the topic.

Not as true as you'd think. We've had many people apply and refuse to take a really easy job, for 40% better than minimum wage, in a city with low cost of living.

Why you may ask? Because they make more, or slightly less, to sit on unemployment and do nothing. Naturally when those of us who take what work we can get, work 2 jobs and pay taxes to pay them won't have 79 weeks of unemployment insurance waiting if we needed it.

not that.that matters as apple can pay well over that, and would replace.most employees with machines anyway.

G

Apple IS big enough to build their own chip foundries and build their own CPUs. Apple is big enough to get Intel outside of their computers! I hope Apple will order a custom X86 APU from AMD with an AMD custom GPU, and all made in an Apple foundry. This will put Intel in their place, and hold down the cost of CPUs for the entire industry!

Apple IS big enough to build their own chip foundries and build their own CPUs. Apple is big enough to get Intel outside of their computers! I hope Apple will order a custom X86 APU from AMD with an AMD custom GPU, and all made in an Apple foundry. This will put Intel in their place, and hold down the cost of CPUs for the entire industry!

That would probably be horrid. There's no way that I can see that Apple would do better than Intel in chip design/making, let alone with better ethical practices and this is Intel, a company that has been facing courts for years due to their malpractice/anti-competitive behavior we're talking about as the moral leader in this comparison.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Stupid comment of the day goes to you.How is Apple holding anything back? Has Intel slowed its progress in making new processors because of something Apple did? Is Apple forcing you to buy their products over competitors? Are Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS, Samsung and others given up on introducing new and innovative products because of Apple? Has Apple's existence prevented you from building your own custom gaming rig with your choice of smoking fast graphics cards and SSD's?The tech industry has been humming along fine for 30 years now and every year processors are getting faster, storage is getting cheaper and new technologies are coming out people would have never dreamed about a few years earlier.[/citation]

personal opinion here, so take it as you will.
apple made the ipod, not a good device for people who care about quality in music, but good enough for most people.

sadly they are putting out music in a compressed format. i mean back with the hdd ipods, that was inexcusable, and not offering a lossless and compressed file together is also a crappy practice.

now on phones, having to use a finger for touch is annoying, as i would rather it be pennable, especially with how small the things are and how large my hands are, on a tablet i think its almost inexcusable to not be pennable with pressure sensitivity.

but here is the kicker, people follow money.

so everyone else is carbon coppying apple, to the point microsoft is throwing windows under the bus.
sure we have a desktop mode now, but its not the default, and you cant make it the default.
who is to say that morons wont love metro to the point that they abandon desktop altogether.

the way i see it apple is going to kill computers if they continue to be successful.
i need program compatibility, so linux is out, and if windows fails...
god i hope im dead by than...

now someone mentioned intel.
i dont see them as stagnating. they are adding backbones for the future into an architecture that works. instead of pulling another p4
that said, if an intel chip was 4 times faster than now, what difference would it make to an end user?
would we even notice?
most of what pushed cpus has been or is being offloaded to the gpu, and with cpus being fast, i just cant see a reason to constantly push the cpu for speed now. what intel is doing is preparing for the future by putting concepts onto new cpus, and seeing how they work.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Stupid comment of the day goes to you.How is Apple holding anything back? Has Intel slowed its progress in making new processors because of something Apple did? Is Apple forcing you to buy their products over competitors? Are Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS, Samsung and others given up on introducing new and innovative products because of Apple? Has Apple's existence prevented you from building your own custom gaming rig with your choice of smoking fast graphics cards and SSD's?The tech industry has been humming along fine for 30 years now and every year processors are getting faster, storage is getting cheaper and new technologies are coming out people would have never dreamed about a few years earlier.[/citation]

Absolutely agree, Apple is not holding back from anyone from innovating. And like Microsoft using litigation against manufacturers across the world using Android and making a billion dollar soff that they are far from the only ones going to court over their patents. That disease of litigation in the tech industry existed well before Apple went into it.

Would love to see companies create products completely different then what exists now. Not just take what someone else creates, adds a few features or makes it a few bucks cheaper. To me that's not innovating, it's incremental improvement. Liked the concept of the Motorola Atrix but pricing was terrible.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]personal opinion here, so take it as you will.apple made the ipod, not a good device for people who care about quality in music, but good enough for most people. sadly they are putting out music in a compressed format. i mean back with the hdd ipods, that was inexcusable, and not offering a lossless and compressed file together is also a crappy practice. now on phones, having to use a finger for touch is annoying, as i would rather it be pennable, especially with how small the things are and how large my hands are, on a tablet i think its almost inexcusable to not be pennable with pressure sensitivity. but here is the kicker, people follow money. so everyone else is carbon coppying apple, to the point microsoft is throwing windows under the bus.sure we have a desktop mode now, but its not the default, and you cant make it the default.who is to say that morons wont love metro to the point that they abandon desktop altogether. the way i see it apple is going to kill computers if they continue to be successful. i need program compatibility, so linux is out, and if windows fails... god i hope im dead by than... now someone mentioned intel. i dont see them as stagnating. they are adding backbones for the future into an architecture that works. instead of pulling another p4that said, if an intel chip was 4 times faster than now, what difference would it make to an end user?would we even notice? most of what pushed cpus has been or is being offloaded to the gpu, and with cpus being fast, i just cant see a reason to constantly push the cpu for speed now. what intel is doing is preparing for the future by putting concepts onto new cpus, and seeing how they work.[/citation]

Actually, you can make the desktop the default in Windows 8. There are several third party programs with this capability and Classic Shell is one such program.

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Absolutely agree, Apple is not holding back from anyone from innovating. And like Microsoft using litigation against manufacturers across the world using Android and making a billion dollar soff that they are far from the only ones going to court over their patents. That disease of litigation in the tech industry existed well before Apple went into it.Would love to see companies create products completely different then what exists now. Not just take what someone else creates, adds a few features or makes it a few bucks cheaper. To me that's not innovating, it's incremental improvement. Liked the concept of the Motorola Atrix but pricing was terrible.[/citation]

Apple has several times more lawsuits going on and almost all of them are frivolous bullshit. The same can not be said for the other companies. Apple most definitely is holding others back by trying to force them to not be able to compete.

Furthermore, All that Apple has done is take what others make and change a few things. They did that with all of their products without any exceptions.

halcyon

Splendid
I think that one of the problems is that the Apple's competition is not clearly clearly better than Apple's products to most people. I really like my SGS3, but most people wouldn't say its clearly better than an iPhone. I like my Asus Transformer Pad Infinity, but most people wouldn't say its clearly better than an iPad3 or iPad4. Now, what other phone and tablet are clearly better than the 2 non-Apple products I just named? ...and that's part of the issue. There's a lot of good competition, but nothing clearly better and very few, if any, that are as well known, to the masses, as Apple's products. This is a good chunk of why Apple is doing as well as they are and they're lawsuits are not hurting their profits too much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.