Apple May Ditch Google Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]More competition is better.[/citation]

Yes, as long as they don't air stupid & childish advertisements like M$ vs Mac.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Unless their native maps application supports turn by turn directions, for free, I'm really not all that interested.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
New to the iPhone 0S: Turn-by-turn directions to the nearest Apple store.

*disclaimer: Please note, to ensure our customers receive a full, hassle free traveling experience, Apple cannot provide directions to locations not owned or operated by Apple Inc. Apple believes the Apple Store provides a rich, fulfilling shopping experience and reserves the right to restrict turn-by-turn directions to competing businesses which would duplicate, confuse, or otherwise dilute the Apple experience.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Uncle Meat[/nom]If you think that Chrome OS is in any way competition for Mac OS X, then you have no idea what you are talking about.[/citation]If you don't think Chrome OS is in any way a competition for let alone Mac OS X but also all preexisting OS, you're in denial. If the computing model doesn't go to just turn on computer, OS boot instantly-ish, immediate connection to internet, gadget/widgets grab necessary information, and woila... then you might be right. The odds of it are you won't be right. This is cloud computing.

But fortunately, American internet connection sucks due to the monopolies sitting on their asses all day thinking about how much more blood they could suck out their customers while buying off politicians, it's going to be a while before broadband is capable of doing things the way we envision it, like in Star Trek...

Places like Japan with their basic 100M internet connection, however, could show us cloud computing in its full glory.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Everyone who has a blackberry with GPS probably has blackberry maps installed, in Canada we have telenav service which enables the GPS on the Rogers network, but I never use blackberry maps or telenav, I use Google Maps, as it gives me a small screen version of exactly the way I look for hotels, places to travel, routes from place to place. The traffic update layers the route by route. The only thing telenav does that google maps doesn't is give me a compass, ETA and current speed which telenav does.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Although Google is typically the company that plays well with others...[/citation]
Sure, ask Palm.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Google maps has some nice features, but I need more. Since I have a i-less smartphone with gps and microSD slot, I'll lay out the $100 for full navigation software on a tiny card that I can port from phone to phone and lend to others. Otherwise, I know my brother in law likes to use amAze free gps (which works good for areas with nice 3g coverage).

Iphones are nice and all, but it is a shame that Apple and the media has hoodwinked people into thinking that it is the only option if you want decent apps. Sorry, I really don't need an app that randomly selects a restaurant for me when I shake my phone - what do they want, increase my chances of dropping and breaking it. Give me a phone with a standard browser in it and I will be impressed. (Flash games while waiting to check out at the grocery store to amuse oneself could be useful...)

abhik

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
does this mean that android will now have native multitouch seeing as google doesnt have to be nice to Apple now?

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]More competition is better.[/citation]

It's better as long as Apple ALLOWS the competition. As long as Apple enforces a closed system and protects their own software ON that system, then it's not competition.

G

Hi!

Congratulations! Your readers have submitted and voted for your blog at The Daily Reviewer. We compiled an exclusive list of the Top 100 windows Blogs, and we are glad to let you know that your blog was included! You can see it at http://thedailyreviewer.com/top/windows/2

You can claim your Top 100 Blogs Award here : http://thedailyreviewer.com/pages/badges/windows

P.S. This is a one-time notice to let you know your blog was included in one of our Top 100 Blog categories. You might get notices if you are listed in two or more categories.

P.P.S. If for some reason you want your blog removed from our list, just send an email to angelina@thedailyreviewer.com with the subject line "REMOVE" and the link to your blog in the body of the message.

Cheers!

Angelina Mizaki
Selection Committee President
The Daily Reviewer
http://thedailyreviewer.com

Status
Not open for further replies.