Apple Offers Repair Extension Program For Defective MacBook Pros

Status
Not open for further replies.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
No one couldn't get away from it as AMD and Nvidia designed these mobile GPUs with inferior cooling requirements. I saw many laptops rendered unusable just because of this.

Gary Brandon

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
I remember HP had a similar issue with some of its laptops a few years back. The ideal fix worked out among the tech community was--no lie--to thermal paste a *penny* between the video chip and the (poorly designed) video heatsink.

i dont understand what you mean, are you saying amd and nvidia's claimed the thermal output is different from actual output? Because its the manufacturer that designs the cooling, not amd or nvidia. And its overheating the solder that mounts the chips that causes the issues, not the chips themselves.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Do PC makers EVER offer to fix three year old laptop designs they f'ed up? I remember a coworker telling me his HP laptop was vulnerable to a similar problem. HP issued a BIOS update that ran the system fans full-speed...ALL THE TIME...to keep things cool. His laptop was so loud that no one in his family wanted to use it, and the battery life was miserable. Technically they fixed the problem, but I think Apple's approach is more customer friendly.

AndrewKeene

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This graphical glitch just happened to my early 2011 MBP with the lower performance AMD 6490M GPU inside. Out of nowhere the screen glitches and then the laptop wouldn't boot. It would just show a white screen. The Apple Genius employee ordered the new logic board and all repairs were covered by Apple. I thought it was a coincidence that Apple announced this extended warranty program, but maybe this is suddenly starting to happen to a lot of these models?

However, according to the lawsuit, "What Apple did not disclose was that achieving these graphical feats caused the laptops to run so hot that the solder attached to the laptops' high-powered graphics processor would deform and crack, causing graphical anomalies and, eventually, total system failure.

Wow see what happens when they make thin laptops, bad cooling.

sapphirescales

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
Yes, Apple is such a "good" company. Face it. The same crap that's in your Dell is in your precious Apple. They're only fixing it after they got sued and were FORCED to fix it. They'll still make a killing off you seeing as they triple charged you for the Macbook in the first place. A Macbook is nothing but a Dell in a good looking case that "feels" like it's quality. Don't believe me? Foxconn makes pretty much all motherboards nowadays. They make the boards in Dell, HP, Gateway, Acer, and yes....Apple. Western Digital makes hard drives. You can find them in Dell, HP, Gateway, Acer, and yes....Apple. Look it up. People are so beyond stupid falling for this stuff. Haven't you ever wondered why despite selling so few computers, Apple makes the highest profits than any other manufacturer? It's because they've tricked stupid people into giving them their hard earned money for an inferior product in a good looking case.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I was having this same issue with my P-7811FX from Gateway only due to overvolting the graphics chip (1.1 volts not a safe voltage for the chip). This is not an Apple issue, this is a nVidia lying to Apple about 'safe temperatures' for their graphics chips.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
In all honesty, I can't think of any manufacturer who didn't bring a few models to the market that didn't suffer similar issues with video cards (especially the nvidia ones). Lots of Dell PC's for example had a video card that would die out within two years of use. In that regard, integrated graphics is still a better option for most business users who care more about battery life and reliability than video performance.
So, Apple is no exception, but what's exceptional in Apple's case, is the quantity of negative feedback needed to make Apple acknowledge that there is a problem that should be taken care of. Especially as the Apple product lineup is pretty uniform ... which gives a good sample size for the failure rates and lets service managers identify the problems more easily compared to competitors who bring out new models every week/month.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Now they just need to issue one for their shitty first batch of "Retina's". I swear the "geniuses" were told to refuse to replace them under warranty. "Dead pixels and blemishes? Nah I don't see any problems."

Went to 3 different apple stores and got the same story.

cmi86

Distinguished
Hasn't this already happened once before in the MBP line with the NV 8XXX line ? Educated guess is that apple knew full well about the potential for heat issues and decided to sweep them under the rug and keep their fingers crossed that nothing surfaces. In 2011, it was found that Apple 110% knew that the 8XXX GPU's they purchased for the MBP were faulty because NV told them that they were and sold them to Apple at a discount because of this. Instead of doing the right thing apple used the faulty GPU's to increase profit margin on the MBP.

Status
Not open for further replies.