Apple Patent Allows Camera to Select Best Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Technology would ontinuously captures and stores images in a buffer."

Three errors in not just one sentence, but in the bold sentence? Come on.

Technology would continuously capture and store images in a buffer.

More on topic: This is by far not the most unreasonable thing to patent that Apple has tried to patent IMO, but I still don't think that it's something that should be patented. The method that Apple uses for it may be patent-worthy if not the same as is used by anyone else with similar functionality.

rdc85

Honorable
It had similarity with "rewind shot" in BB Z10... (the different is when in apple it's automatically)

I don't know, but i feel they rip off someones idea.....

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
And this is different from HTC ONE or SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 in which way ? Oh... they already implemented it (of course) and apple is just an ideea patent as usual !

Th3Exiled

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Too bad that this feature has already been implemented on several phones already, my note II being one. Then again it probably won't stop the system from awarding it to them.

kristi_metal

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Yes, S3 and HTC One already have a technology similarto this. S3 takes 8 burst shots and selects the best picture for you. Again, Apple has the idea of pateting this and nest year Apple will sue Samsung for stealing their idea, cause they patented

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
No idea what the US patent office are doing. There is a previous patent on this technology which is already licensed to several manufacturers.

djfv

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Nikon BSS (best shot selector) ? It has been around for quite some time on their point-and-shoot cameras. To quote Wiki:
The Best Shot Selector is a special feature on this camera. With BSS on, you can hold down the shutter button, and the camera will take ten pictures. Then, the camera will decide which one is the clearest and will save that one only.

G

A flow chart should not be patentable. The exact implementation can be copyrighted, but just a flow chart to describe a series of stages cannot be the basis of a patent. It is almost as silly as patent page turning animation. Apple does indeed has a very distorted sense of what can be patented. Too bad US patent office also does no better.

acktionhank

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]"Technology would ontinuously captures and stores images in a buffer."Three errors in not just one sentence, but in the bold sentence? Come on.Technology would continuously capture and store images in a buffer.More on topic: This is by far not the most unreasonable thing to patent that Apple has tried to patent IMO, but I still don't think that it's something that should be patented. The method that Apple uses for it may be patent-worthy if not the same as is used by anyone else with similar functionality.[/citation]

Or you could just write it

"Technology would ontinuously captures and stores images in a buffer.

Technology which continuously captures and stores images in a buffer.

That is technically only two errors my friend.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]For everyone saying that this is previous art, I have to ask, can any of you prove that Apple's method is the same as those used in the others?[/citation]
No, the method I can't say is the same. But apple would not care about the method when applying lawsuits.
Method to make corners rounded? Method to slide to unlock? What's next?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Apple applied for the patent; they haven't been granted it (yet).
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]For everyone saying that this is previous art, I have to ask, can any of you prove that Apple's method is the same as those used in the others?[/citation]
I have not read any of these patents myself, but if this technology already exists and is implemented, it's true, they could be using an entirely different process to select the "best" picture--this will be for the PTO to decide when actually evaluating this patent.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
What next? live wallpaper, active tiles, active thumbnails, super AMOLED screen, stay on when eyes are open, pause video recording, widgets, multitasking, face unlock, flip cover. Why patent a feature that is so widely used? My Note 2 has this.

I actually think that this is a defensive move to protect their copying. I doubt that this will be used in the war against Android......

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]ankit0x1[/nom]hahahhahahaApple+ Zak= ulitmate trollFree ranting in comments below..btw how this even get applied at first case? now can I 'apply' patent for sleeping with eyes closed?[/citation]

Or

Zak Articles + Fandroids = ultimate trolls...

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Sadly the bribed idiots at the USPO will probably "approve" this.

About the ONLY thing that should be able to be done with this is for iCrapple to COPYRIGHT the actual programming code that does this. And ONLY in whatever programming language it's written in.

More of iCrapple trying to patent the RESULTS of something.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
For god sake spell check these articles before posting to the world. Spelling mistakes and bad gramma aren't something I expect from Toms!

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]For god sake spell check these articles before posting to the world. Spelling mistakes and bad gramma aren't something I expect from Toms![/citation]

Lol bad gramma

maucerit

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
God damn do I hate apple. Cause no other smart phone does this right? because htx one x hasn't been flag shipping this since it debuted. Ok apple my damn flip phone to panoramic pictures ur not doing anything new! Stop patenting things you do not create just like you tried with drop notification bar my tmobile G1 had! (first android phone)

geronimo8

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Someone should give the people in USPO some of the latest gadgets out there. Or, maybe, they're just old geezers who just think everything is new.

Staff 1: Look at this patent. I remember back my days, we use film for storing images and later print it for viewing, and if it sucks, there's no way out of it.
Staff 2: Yeah, the good ol' days.

[citation][nom]Star72[/nom]Lol bad gramma[/citation]

To be fair, they aren't something that should be expected of professional publication whereas a personal comment from some person on the internet usually doesn't have that distinction.

[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]No, the method I can't say is the same. But apple would not care about the method when applying lawsuits.Method to make corners rounded? Method to slide to unlock? What's next?[/citation]

Well, the rounded corners one seems ot have no defensible point of reasoning, but the method to slide to unlock can be defended. IIRC, Apple technically only owns a patent or copyright or slide to unlock that slides only in a single direction, meaning that sliding in two or more directions (or some other such example) may be technically exempt. For example, the Nexus 7 has a circle that you can slide anywhere outside of a larger circle to unlock and I don't think Apple went after anyone for that.

Should Apple attack someone over this camera technology, one must wonder how easy it would be to prove that it's in violation of their patent... I don't think that they'd manage to do it successfully except maybe if they're victim obviously used the technology in a pretty much identical way. Even then, it'd be iffy, especially if the attack was over a phone that was released before Apple gets the patent, assuming that they do get it.

[citation][nom]acktionhank[/nom]Or you could just write it "Technology would ontinuously captures and stores images in a buffer.Technology which continuously captures and stores images in a buffer.That is technically only two errors my friend.[/citation]

Technically, the number of errors in that sentence would then depend on what they were trying to say. It would not just default to the minimum ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS