Apple Patent Depicts Advances in Handling Incoming Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]mightymaxio[/nom]Android has had this for years now, I feel another lawsuit coming on[/citation]
[citation][nom]hhjhjhj[/nom]same thing in my android[/citation]
Sorry, I have an Android (Droid Bionic) running ICS. Not seen anything with the phone that can detect what I am doing, or send a personalized voicemail message based on who is calling.

As for Google Voice, nothing listed on it's features say anything about different voicemail messages depending on who is calling.

G

Uh, this is supposes to be new? Who are these journalists working for!?

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]A more proper title: More ammunition for the endless patent war where only the consumers and innovation lose.[/citation]
So, you are saying that a person or company that invents something shouldn't be allowed to patent t he idea? Get rid of patents and you stifle innovation just as much as granting patents for broad, vague ideas.

The thing is, developing a technology that can recognize who is calling, say for example a spouse, and gives them a different voicemail message than say your boss, well, that is not a broad or vague technology. That is actually a very good idea. Not to mention something that can detect what you are doing and base how it handles calls based on that action automatically.

sharksman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Zack iSlam with another useless apple blurb. It will take a couple of years an some lawsuits and this patent to be reversed ..

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
@Wildkitten you must not have looked hard enough because its right there under "Call" its called set reject messages. Then you have voicemail to text feature that you can enable as well. Granted its not entirely the same on stock ICS but you can get more features like the ones described by many free apps that are out there.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Call screening has been around for years...

Call behavior based on presence information is a major design intent included in modern telecom protocols. Jesus, the scenario listed by Apple is actually in the SIP spec itself.

As usual, pay your fee and you'll get your patent, regardless of how inane it is... it can always be sorted out through litigation.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
In a few years, everyone will be bashing on Google. Apple is no more evil than any other large company, it's only since they've been the center of attention of bringing new trends to technology.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]So, you are saying that a person or company that invents something shouldn't be allowed to patent t he idea? Get rid of patents and you stifle innovation just as much as granting patents for broad, vague ideas.The thing is, developing a technology that can recognize who is calling, say for example a spouse, and gives them a different voicemail message than say your boss, well, that is not a broad or vague technology. That is actually a very good idea. Not to mention something that can detect what you are doing and base how it handles calls based on that action automatically.[/citation]

It does not recognize who is calling, it checks the caller ID.
Not the same thing.
I have an old Samsung Flip Phone that I can program to do different things depending on who calls. Incl. sending to voice mail.

This is nothing but a variation on a programmable answering machine; been round for years and crap like this should simply not be patentable in the first place.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
i really don't understand how patent system work. you shouldn't be able to just patent an idea. you should only be able to patent the specific technology that makes the idea work. if another phone company wants to send a text message instead of a voice mail they should be able to.

dakkon

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
WTF? this is already present for android if automation, scheduling of calls and unanswered response is based on who is calling! look at the app below one of the best, it may say its for call blocking but basically the description of the patent is the same function of many of the apps available to android. So how is this inovation in the part of apple? what did they invent int their patent?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fahrbot.apps.rootcallblocker.pro&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImZhaHJib3QuYXBwcy5yb290Y2FsbGJsb2NrZXIucHJvIl0.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]In a few years, everyone will be bashing on Google. Apple is no more evil than any other large company, it's only since they've been the center of attention of bringing new trends to technology.[/citation]

I beg to differ... I've hated apple since they sued Microsoft because they claimed to have 'invented' GUI with mouse. Which they didn't, Xerox did. This would have been in the late 80's. The only machine of theirs that I ever liked at ALL was the apple II line. It was ahead of it's time for a short period in the late 70's. That was the 'other Steve's' invention (Wozniak).

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Jesus, features like that have been around for years on all types of phones. Apple is really patenting anything regardless of prior art.

Someone should check if there's an Apple mole in the USPTO. That patents like this pass trough is not normal.

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I regret i clicked on this news link. Was 90% sure this was a zak article.[/citation]

Zak is an expert in Apple, so he might as well write on it. I jsut wish he would write on other topics as well, since most of his news are not related too hardware a lot.

[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]Jesus, features like that have been around for years on all types of phones. Apple is really patenting anything regardless of prior art.Someone should check if there's an Apple mole in the USPTO. That patents like this pass trough is not normal.[/citation]
This.
What happens to the already existing apps that allow you to do exactly that and much more?
Will their developers be sued into oblivion by the sheer financial power of Apple?
I hope that someone at USPTO is paying attention to this; these devs don't even have the financial means to hire an attorney most of the time, let alone having to pay some royalties for something they have already invented in the first place.
@ wildkitten, have you thought about that?

Innovation (by devs): comes up with idea, looks around, makes app that's better than others, puts it on the market, end of story.
Innovation (by Apple): looks around, sees existing apps, checks with USPTO records, steals idea and app, files for patent, begins lawsuit war against devs; never ending story.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]chewy1963[/nom]I beg to differ... I've hated apple since they sued Microsoft because they claimed to have 'invented' GUI with mouse. Which they didn't, Xerox did. This would have been in the late 80's. The only machine of theirs that I ever liked at ALL was the apple II line. It was ahead of it's time for a short period in the late 70's. That was the 'other Steve's' invention (Wozniak).[/citation]

1. Apple paid Xerox to view the GUI OS with a mouse.
2. Xerox was not going to have any market penetration with that OS, it was more research
3. Apple developed the consumer market for a GUI OS with a mouse
4. Microsoft later had to legally pay Apple for basically ripping off Mac OS, it was called Windows.

I use Windows, can't stand Mac, but know your history.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Cats_Paw[/nom]Zak is an expert in Apple, so he might as well write on it.[/citation]

Being a fanboi does not an expert make.

Status
Not open for further replies.