Apple Patent Hints to Future Motion Charger

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I forgot to mention if this does pass. It will be like those LED flashlight's. We will have a bunch of Apple fags walking down the street shaking there iPhone's like there jerking off.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Apple has attracted some attention by actually applying for a patent covering a power supply via electromagnetic induction
Surely that is wireless charging, and it's already been done, Nokia has it for the new WP8 Lumias - hell even my toothbrush has it - NO PATENT ALLOWED FOR APPLE

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]didnt these kind of technology exist on watch already?[/citation]

Self winding watches use your body movement to wind a spring. Not sure that I've ever seen a spring powered phone before.

craig_1000

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
[citation][nom]engiqueering[/nom]They didn't patent an actual implementation, they just pre-emptively patented an unworkable idea so that they can troll Samsung wheneve Samsung actually figure it out.However, there is no way to generate any usable amount of electricity from body heat or motion. There is no viable function to generate electricity from the ever-so-slightly-higher than ambient human body temperature, and any electricity generated from motion is going to be relative to the (tiny) mass of the generator assembly of the charging device. It would be more efficient to make the back of the phone a solar cell(a la ye olden solar calculators from the 90s) than to use motion or body heat, and any freshman engineering major knows that.[/citation]
There is google 'Seiko Termal' they have made a watch taht works on body heat...

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]craig_1000[/nom]Sorry 'Seiko Thermic' , http://www.roachman.com/thermic/[/citation]

Very cool watch. Brings out my inner geek. But it isn't the same as what is proposed in this patent application.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]scannall[/nom]Self winding watches use your body movement to wind a spring. Not sure that I've ever seen a spring powered phone before.[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]didnt these kind of technology exist on watch already?[/citation]
[/citation]
Seiko had their kinetic that charged a battery/cap in the early 90s, possibly late 80s. I got mine as a graduation present in the 90s and I still have it today, it's a great watch. It was a weight that spun a gear that turned a generator, no spring involved. Citizen did their eco-drive in the mid 90s that was also a battery charged by movement coupled with a solar cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.