Apple Patents Design of the MacBook Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
and it is unlikely that Apple would go after Intel as long as the chipmaker is delivering the hardware for its computers

Apple went after Samsung, the chip manufacterer of every one of Apple's iDevices. Since Intel is pushing the ultrabook design if Apple gets this patented and sues Intel I think there will be a huge falling out over this (hey Apple already uses Radeons in its Macs).

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
It's a copy of my old Dell except it's not slim as picture.
The picture also look like a Netbook.

Such patient shouldn't be accorded in first place.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I have a question, how can you patent a generic screen, a generic keyboard and a generic touch pad?
I asked my mother, "Do you see this laptop?" and she said "Isn't it like your sister's?", witch is a dell laptop . My sister does not have apple products and my mother is not an expert in tech stuff. So i would say, how can you patent a generic laptop design?

I don't see anything different that stands out from other laptops.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Yet another reason not to buy apple products, what they sell you looks nice but doesnt perform as well as other manufacturers kit which usually costs less.

The (cr)apple decide when they loose some of their market to sue everyone for patent infringement. Harldy an ethical move by a company that claims to be the be all and do all of the tech / audio world.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
However, history has told us that PCs look different than Apple computers and there may not be really an issue as Ultrabooks are unlikely to resemble the visual appeal of the MacBook Air.

Honestly, I never understood what's so "appealing" about MBs in general and MB Air in particular... it's just a boring white laptop. Asus VX series is WAY better looking.

G

I'm really curious what's keeping any other manufacturer from putting obsolete hardware in an attractive case, dumbing down the UI and charging three times what the machine's worth.

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Wow, I'm going to get a kindergartner to draw me a generic picture of something and apply for a patent and get it approved. Is that a dog, a cat, or a horse? Oh well, you own the patent for all 3 now!

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
How does Apple become wealthiest company? Good products? No. Clever Marketing? No. Local Apple Stores? No. Sue anyone who steps on their Patent toes? Yes!

[citation][nom]ulysses35[/nom]Yet another reason not to buy apple products, what they sell you looks nice but doesnt perform as well as other manufacturers kit which usually costs less.The (cr)apple decide when they loose some of their market to sue everyone for patent infringement. Harldy an ethical move by a company that claims to be the be all and do all of the tech / audio world.[/citation]
Especially since that is how they caught Their second wind (the Macs). They ripped off the Xerox Star, complete with single button mouse.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Honestly, Apple isn't doing anything here that any other big technology company hasn't already done, or is doing themselves. So I just dot understand why people get so upset when Apple does it.

Having said that, I will agree that patent system in this country needs a reform. Its old, outdated, and not ready for the technology world.

malikxaxu

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The Patent Law provides for the granting of design patents to any person who has invented any new, original and ornamental design for an article of manufacture. A design patent protects only the appearance of the article and not its structural or utilitarian features.

So... before anyone rants about this, I suggest you take a look at ALL the figures included in the patent; there are 42 which explicitely define the design monopoly granted to Apple.

BTW I am not an APPLE FANBOY and do not onw any Apple products.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Apple is really evil on this, they managed to ban the samsung tablet because it was also a thin rectangle. now they mean to say that they invented the thin laptop? It isn't an invention, or innovation, it's just the advancement of technology. I hope they go the way of Tim Langdel.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Take it with reserves as I can't remember where I read it days ago. It was, Apple the one asking INTEL for higher efficiency processors and as a response INTEL created the 300 million initiative they called "ultrabooks". As I remember It was something like "if you don't provide us (Apple) with higher efficiency processors we are going to look else where (ARM or AMD?)". Remember the AIR was the first machine to include the low powered Core2 1.4 GHz INTEL mobile processor. But now Apple is pushing its entire line of Mac Books to be an AIR like form factor including 15' model rumors. Also Apple comment said they were looking for close to 10 hours constant use for most of their line.

With respect of design I think every company should develop its own image and don't try to mimic others emerging designs. Arguing tablets or ultra-books have a default design is trying to ignore why we have a difference appearance and why it represents an advantage.

Design have been a powerful distinction fundament of mayor civilizations and a great contribution. Today, design is key in the entire industry, so why go blind now with tablets or ultrabooks? Because, not for the best user experience or advantage most companies are chasing some Apple designs. I am sure in the next incarnations we will see key design differences in tablets, smartphones and ultrabooks. Saying this I think the SAMSUNG tablets look very impressive, even better than the iPad, I just can't ignore they are Apple based. I don't have an iPad or an AIR and I am not temped yet with tablets, with the AIR, not even.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I think this patent falls under an obvious design therefore should not be granted. Apple can apply for it all it wants, it should not get this patent.

Otherwise capitalism will be replace by monopolies made through the systematic undermining of the patent system. Patents are a good thing, but this patent application just takes advantage of the process to get an undeserved competitive market advantage.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
this patent shouldnt be granted as it looks exactly like any netbook except flatter. Apple will sue anything that comes close to that design. You would think that the gov would notice by now the patent monopolization of the market...

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Apple didn't invent the Ultrabook form factor either. Sony sold a laptop in Japan that had a front end that gave the illusion of being razor sharp. The rest of the laptop was equally thin. Sony released this laptop long before Apple ever released its first Macbook Air.

dokidoki

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I wonder how many here were rofling like Michael Dell was back in '97 when he said he'd 'fix' Apple by shutting it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts