Apple Plotting a Quad-Core iMac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
what's the big deal, what's so nice and sweet? quad core based pcs are like been there done that. does everyone go ooh-aah everytime apple announces something. what kind of cool-aid or multi-coloured glasses are they selling. i bet they expect people to pay 3-4 times what it's worth. what would really be impressive is a i7 920 quad core mini with 6 gb memory, 1 tb 7200 sata and ati 4850 for around $1,000, now that is ooh-aah.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Mach5Motorsport[/nom]oh gee, a quad core? Will Mac ever figure it out and offer blu ray on am laptop too?[/citation]

no more super drive :-( that's blasphemy ;-) if having to go from motorola to intel was not a bad enough insult.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
This will be a nice upgrade, but I'm pretty that the more aggresive mac owners (hardware wise) would rather have a mid-range tower, that could have upgradable PCI-E ports.

At the moment the only mac that offers that is the Mac Pro, which is complete overkill for almost everything. It has 2x Xeon processors (8 core), with speeds being up to that of the C2E QX9770. Who honestly needs two of those in there. Drop it down to one i7 920, a nice GPU, with up to 8 GB's of RAM. Couple that with expandability and Mac would finally have a nice tower to purchase.

ThePatriot

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Why do ppl insist on comparing pc's with Apple computers?

Its like comparing an Audi to the crap from Detroit's 'car' makers.

Makes no sense al all.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Why the hell is this here? Tom's, why do you continue to hypocritically talk about products that can't use any of the other products on this site?

PrangeWay

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Why do ppl insist on comparing pc's with Apple computers?
Its like comparing an Audi to the crap from Detroit's 'car' makers.

Exactly. Though calling Mac's Detroit cars is kindof harsh.

And they'll put the quads on the 24in. Apple is good at maximizing thier revenue streams, and this would be the best way to insure that with their dedicated consumer base.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
95% of the people running a Mac could do the same thing they do there with a $200 netbook. I'm not even slamming a Mac, cause it could do more, but hardly anyone does use it for more than internet browsing and some other home apps. In otherwords, this is overkill.

And if we're talking about comparisons with cars if a Mac is an Audi then my PC is an American Muscle car. Big block, full of torque.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Why the hell is this here? Tom's, why do you continue to hypocritically talk about products that can't use any of the other products on this site?[/citation]

What the hell do you mean? Tom is not about interoperability. It's a site of news about hardware. Mac computers are hardware. And even then, yes, you can use a mac with most of the other hardware that Tom is reporting about, or "advertising" about, like some would say.

That being said, I also think the quad-core will be standard with the 24" version but it will also probably be an option for the "higher" 20" version (at a ridiculous price, of course).

Mardy Matt

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
If we're going to compare the differences of Mac and PCs to cars, I believe that a Mac would be more along the lines of a Mercedes or BMW (or Audi for that matter) - full of luxury and slick. A Mac Pro would be similar to the AMG or M division variants; a bigger, better, faster version of the origional. A PC would be more like a tuner car, sure it lacks some of the refinement, but they are often more powerful and more fun to drive. I7 965, 8gbs, Geforce 295 SLI = Skyline tuned to 1000ps

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]Mardy Matt[/nom]If we're going to compare the differences of Mac and PCs to cars, I believe that a Mac would be more along the lines of a Mercedes or BMW (or Audi for that matter) - full of luxury and slick. A Mac Pro would be similar to the AMG or M division variants; a bigger, better, faster version of the origional. A PC would be more like a tuner car, sure it lacks some of the refinement, but they are often more powerful and more fun to drive. I7 965, 8gbs, Geforce 295 SLI = Skyline tuned to 1000ps[/citation]

a very shaky analogy. Mercedes isn't the most reliable car maker. Expensive, yes. Subarus don't break like a Mercedes and the dealers for your Benz treats you like poop. (just like Apple treats mac owners?)

Now that I think about it. Macs are expensive and not the most reliable. Hey, it does work after all!

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
Mach5Motorsport : QFT ;)

Who wants a BMW and Mercedes anyway? Sure, you look stylish and cool, but deep down you know you just paid way more for something you could have gotten for less, just like a Mac.

By the time Apple gets its Quad cores from intel, I'm pretty sure PC will have its 16 core i7's rolling out.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]What the hell do you mean? Tom is not about interoperability. It's a site of news about hardware. Mac computers are hardware. And even then, yes, you can use a mac with most of the other hardware that Tom is reporting about, or "advertising" about, like some would say.That being said, I also think the quad-core will be standard with the 24" version but it will also probably be an option for the "higher" 20" version (at a ridiculous price, of course).[/citation]

Toms is supposed to be a site about hardware reviews.

This shouldn't qualify as news either. Its a quad core chip in a compuetr, old news.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
A computer is hardware. Macs are computers. This mac will be the first one to have a quad-core chip. Thus, hardware news.

If you elitists jerks only want to read about chips and video cards, you can just skip those articles and keep your comments for yourselves. That's why they put titles on articles. If you don't want to know about quad-core macs, you shouldn't click on an article that is named : "Apple Plotting a Quad-Core iMac?"

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]falconqc[/nom]Mach5Motorsport : QFT Who wants a BMW and Mercedes anyway? Sure, you look stylish and cool, but deep down you know you just paid way more for something you could have gotten for less, just like a Mac.By the time Apple gets its Quad cores from intel, I'm pretty sure PC will have its 16 core i7's rolling out.[/citation]

Who knows what individuals want. Bimmers and Mercs are over-rated anyway, imo.

Just that Mac eventually comes out with a computer that has features that PC makers have released a year earlier. ;)

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]falconqc[/nom]Mach5Motorsport : QFT Who wants a BMW and Mercedes anyway? Sure, you look stylish and cool, but deep down you know you just paid way more for something you could have gotten for less, just like a Mac.By the time Apple gets its Quad cores from intel, I'm pretty sure PC will have its 16 core i7's rolling out.[/citation]

Who knows what individuals want. Bimmers and Mercs are over-rated anyway, imo.

Just that Mac eventually comes out with a computer that has features that PC makers have released a year earlier. ;)

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
[citation][nom]Mach5Motorsport[/nom]Who knows what individuals want. Bimmers and Mercs are over-rated anyway, imo.Just that Mac eventually comes out with a computer that has features that PC makers have released a year earlier.[/citation]

With one big difference: The quad core Mac will cost the same as the 16 core PC :p

But you are right, who knows what people want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS