Apple Promises 100 Percent Green Data Center

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
why must people post comments without digging up a little dirt on the subject first?

almost all "green technologies" have a huge impact on the environment be it the extreme danger to wildlife found in solar arrays, windfarms and tidal generators to the toxic chemicals found in solar panels and solar farms. combine this with the huge amount of space you need just to create a tiny bit of power. i believe the comparison was that you would need new jersey completely covered with wind turbines just to almost equal one very small unit at a nuclear power plant.

coal and nuclear power plants aren't as bad as people might think. current coal technology can scrub 99%+ of harmful elements out of the exhaust air through various technologies. nuclear fuel that is currently stored underground can actually be recycled but it is cheaper to do otherwise. instead of a huge push towards "green technologies" because of public outcry we should be focusing on ideas that actually work.

agreed...this data center being called green is a pr move. apple states one thing, the facts say another. this is about as much of a joke as a "paperless office" is.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]@rosen380 Dude, you are arguing semantics here. I understand Foxconn is not owned by Apple. But Apple is probably the single biggest client, and thus, have the most power to change things. They turned a blind eye to these inhumane working conditions and have known about them since 2007. Yet they continued using them to manufacture their products. Do you truly think Apple cares? Let me give you the answer, no they don't. The only reason they even attempted to change things with Foxconn is because it got out to the public what was happening in the factories. And going "green" with this new data center is a total PR move, isn't it obvious?[/citation]
It would be easy to win a case if your "supporting argument" need only consist of simply restating your hypothesis as facts. Just saying that Apple can make anything happen at Foxconn doesn't make it true.

Also, I heard a news interview (on NPR) of a Foxconn employee who was going to quit working there because they were hiring more people and cutting back on the overtime, due to Apple stepping in and insisting on changes. Thanks to these "humane" changes, it wasn't worth it for him to live in the city anymore so he was going back to his home in the provinces.

Finally, I would point out that correlation does not imply causation. That is, if people are unhappy in their jobs or life in general, it does not mean that their job is the cause of their unhappiness. They may have no other choice in life because they live in a mostly impoverished country, governed by a brutal regime.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
"It would be easy to win a case if your "supporting argument" need only consist of simply restating your hypothesis as facts"

My "hypothesis" is that Apple does not care about being humane or the environment. My original comment was hyperbole. Even if there is no way to directly link the suicides to the factory conditions (how would you even do that anyway?) go watch a video and judge for yourself. I've seen the conditions they are forced to work in, and they are terrible. No doubt in my mind, people kill themselves as a direct result of going to work in these shit holes everyday. Think about it, what if this was your only option for work and you hated it?

It's not just Apple, but they rightly deserve criticism given their power.

Status
Not open for further replies.