Apple Pulls Genius Bar TV Spots from YouTube, Apple Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Maybe Apple realized that having a "Genius Bar" may give the impression that you need to be a Genius to be able to use their products.

vistaofdoom

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]Genius is just a little strong of a word for a college freshman who knows less about macs (let alone computers) than I do.[/citation]
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Maybe Apple realized that having a "Genius Bar" may give the impression that you need to be a Genius to be able to use their products.[/citation]

Only shows that a genious(idiot) is needed to support the real i-Diot users.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
The commercial where the guy did not even know if he had a Mac or not and the 'genius' corrects him was outright insulting to consumers. I found it to be in bad taste, and if I were an Idisciple I would have been greatly offended.

G

Apple advertising only works when they are condescending toward non mac users.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
While i understand the point was about the Genius bar being available for you for whatever... the ads were poorly done and could be misconstrued as easy as someone's recent comments about legitimate rape.

[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Apple taking criticism to heart???What's going to happen next? They stop suing people for stealing the designs they stole?[/citation]
Nah, don't take it like that. It's just damage control.
Besides, what heart?...

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
As much as i dislike macs, i am forced to use/support/script for them, thanks to upper management being turtleneck zealots; as a result i frequent the apple store. All of our admins are on macs(for the boot time), once at the desktop they then boot into a windows 7 vm to do real work; it is infuriating.

I overheard the following conversation, with a genius:

Customer: Hey bro, i was riding on my fixed gear, and my water bottle came open in my pack, and got all over my pro
"Genius": yeah bro i had that happen to me, i had to get a water bottle holder for my bike

For some reason, i found it hilarious.

But the truth is, most of the issues fielded by the genius bar, are physical damage(entire device replacement) and how to save pictures/videos. The average mac user is far below the curve.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Actual conversation I had at a party:

Girl: I just add a hard drive to my computer
Me: Thats cool what kind of computer do you have?
Girl: A MacBook.
Me: (confused and starting to wake up to the situation)
How did you add a hard drive?
Girl: I had to take it to the Mac store three times before they could get my pictures onto the new (external) hard drive they helped me pick out.
Me: (Shakes my head an walks away)

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]"the ads made Apple customers look stupid"....well if the shoe fits.[/citation]

Correct knowing their product is for stupid people who has no knowledge of computers, revealing it bluntly is a bad idea. So they are going to change its name it iGenius bar...

Dumb User: "ooowwww.... I genius? I genius! HAHAHA!"

halcyon

Splendid
i never saw the ads...bet they were amusing. Looking at some of the above trolling comments I almost wrote something as childish. Not all folks that prefer OS X on Apple hardware are ...oh, nevermind.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]i never saw the ads...bet they were amusing. Looking at some of the above trolling comments I almost wrote something as childish. Not all folks that prefer OS X on Apple hardware are ...oh, nevermind.[/citation]

LOL smart?

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
I think a lot of things will be getting pulled from YouTube. It allows swearing in the comments by default and in the video title with Safety mode off. Kids watch these videos and the posters should be ashamed of themselves. Bad enough a lot of songs contain swearing as well. It was not as bad as it is now when I was growing up. Sad.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]doive1231[/nom]I think a lot of things will be getting pulled from YouTube. It allows swearing in the comments by default and in the video title with Safety mode off. Kids watch these videos and the posters should be ashamed of themselves. Bad enough a lot of songs contain swearing as well. It was not as bad as it is now when I was growing up. Sad.[/citation]

LOL you act as if those kids wouldn't have heard worst already. You are one sheltered person.

G

I heard a rumor they pulled the ad because they didn't wanted to be sued. Apple customers of late have finally realized that their genius bar is misleading and the fact is the genius bar has no geniuses working there.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]dynamoair[/nom]I heard a rumor they pulled the ad because they didn't wanted to be sued. Apple customers of late have finally realized that their genius bar is misleading and the fact is the genius bar has no geniuses working there.[/citation]
I always thought the idea of the "genius bar" a little shady. I quickly learned that if it took any special certification, technical, or customer training I was never able to discern it after visiting multiple Apple genius bars. The only thing cool about them was their neat black shirts. ...and that's subjective. I tend to like Apple products and have had a positive experience in their stores...mostly. ...but I think the folks that populate the "genius bars" need to some more customer service training and a bit more technical training as well.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
With Jobs already in his grave, Apple has decided to join him and dig one for themselves. Too soon?

All of a sudden it seems like every story you hear about Apple is a misstep. How does marketing fail in a company that once convinced people it was "revolutionary" by putting an apple on an mp3 player?

Status
Not open for further replies.