Apple Releases Update to Mac OS X 10.5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Improves performance of video playback and cursor movements for recent Macs with NVIDIA graphics.[/citation]

So Macs can finally render a mouse cursor smoothly?? Looks like everything is coming up apple

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]acecombat[/nom]So Macs can finally render a mouse cursor smoothly?? Looks like everything is coming up apple[/citation]
lol tho whole OS looks more fluid then any MS os as it is, it's just making it better...

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]lol tho whole OS looks more fluid then any MS os as it is, it's just making it better...[/citation]it's not required.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]According to Apple commercials on TV, Apple computers do not require updates to their operating systems.[/citation]

I also love the fact that while Microsoft when doing and update usually says something in the lines of:
- Fixed a performance issue regarding mouse movement on X video cards ..

The Apple version:
- Improves performance of video playback and cursor movements for recent Macs with NVIDIA graphics.

What is there to improve for mouse movement? It either works as expected or it doesn't work as expected (laggy, slow response) in which case it's an ISSUE they FIXED, not an "improvement" they made.

After so many years since graphical interfaces were first developed I don't think there are still things to improve about mouse movement ...

Yeah go ahead, flame me back (maybe I deserve it) but that improving the mouse movement got me started ...

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]According to Apple commercials on TV, Apple computers do not require updates to their operating systems.[/citation]
^^^ quoted wrong thing earlier, but no it's not required.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]I also love the fact that while Microsoft when doing and update usually says something in the lines of: - Fixed a performance issue regarding mouse movement on X video cards ..The Apple version: - Improves performance of video playback and cursor movements for recent Macs with NVIDIA graphics.What is there to improve for mouse movement? It either works as expected or it doesn't work as expected (laggy, slow response) in which case it's an ISSUE they FIXED, not an "improvement" they made.After so many years since graphical interfaces were first developed I don't think there are still things to improve about mouse movement ... Yeah go ahead, flame me back (maybe I deserve it) but that improving the mouse movement got me started ...[/citation]

Yeah good mentality, if you figure out how to do something better then no point in doing it because it's just extra work.

ag3nt smith

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Ok...

Includes latest security fixes.
> I thought they didn't need security fixes? I thought Macs were the PERFECT creation ever!
Improves the reliability and accuracy of Unit Converter, Stocks, Weather and Movies Dashboard widgets.
> What kind of OS can't do math or read stocks or maps?
Improves reliability when syncing contacts with Yahoo!.
> Reliability? So Macs crash?
Expansion Slot Utility for Mac Pro now reports the correct PCIe slot configuration.
> Sounds like a bad hardware issue to me.

I'll stick with my W7 RC until Apple 'creates' the real 'perfect' creation.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]lol tho whole OS looks more fluid then any MS os as it is, it's just making it better...[/citation]
What's more fluid than fluid?!? (No that's not a brain teaser, it's pointing out another Mac

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]it's not required.[/citation]

LOL, windows updates are not required either but if you want your sh*t fixed as in it fixes things that don't work like they are supposed to, then yea..., they are required.

icebain

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
Just saw a funny mac commercial that stated how great their customer care is. Well, if their computers are perfect, and don't require anything, why do they even NEED customer care?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]hmmm.... i have to review on my decimals![/citation]
You've never seen multiple decimals used for version numbers before? It's been commonplaces for...decades.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]hmmm.... i have to review on my decimals![/citation]
Major.Minor.Build.Revision is one variation of the software versioning system. Apple doesn't use all 4 parts of the versioning system, so the third number could be build or revision. It doesn't really matter. What does matter is that it has nothing to do with decimals...

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Major.Minor.Build.Revision is one variation of the software versioning system. Apple doesn't use all 4 parts of the versioning system, so the third number could be build or revision. It doesn't really matter. What does matter is that it has nothing to do with decimals...[/citation]
thanks for helpin me out with that one my good man/woman/random

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]^^^ quoted wrong thing earlier, but no it's not required.[/citation]

Do you use a mac?

Try this. Don't update your OS for more than 2 updates. Then go check and see how many things simply stop working such as itunes etc. But "everything just works" right? Not so much. Apple doesn't bother supporting non updated OSes. For the most part that makes sense.

But ironically mac updates are notably more "required" than windows ones. Due to heavily integrated function of the OS it would seem.

So yes that would fly in the face of commercials that tell you that macs don't require updates and don't have security issues...if in fact an update is eventually required and carries security updates...

As for the wording, its a bit silly but that comes down from headquarters.

Two of my friends work for mac support. And they actually can not in any way label something as a "problem", they can call it an issue but nothing on apple products are to be called "problems". They can litterally get fired over that if the slip up and call a problem a "problem". The warm fuzzy exterior of the iron hand in a sense.

If that doesn't scream that apple is focused on its image...I'm not quite sure what does.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]Tedders[/nom]I love watchin' you guys get your panties all up in a wad over Apple stuff. Good viewing![/citation]
Well Ted. It would appear that tom's has gone ballistic with releasing about 40%ish? of their articles as of late on apple related things. That is hardly the readerbase's fault, but since we do have thoughts and opinions about various things we write them. That is kind of...you know...the whole point of having these threads.

Crazy I know.

Some people enjoy pointing out blatant hypocrisy/lies.
Perhaps you feel your comment was notably more appropriate and mature?

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
"What is there to improve for mouse movement? It either works as expected or it doesn't work as expected (laggy, slow response) in which case it's an ISSUE they FIXED, not an "improvement" they made."

A mouse either works or it doesn't. A functioning mouse can work, but not work as desired. Any efforts to make it work as desired is an improvement...it is what quality control is all about.

Using your logic, then what gives with the OS service packs? Aren't they already working, so why improve them. Bottom line: there is always room to make things better through improvement.

G

"Are mac updates so infrequent they require a news post?"

No, I only use my dumb mac mini about once a week and every week that dumb update icon is jumping up and down like a small dumb dog when you walk into someones house. I haven't had the thing a year and it's probably had more updates in that time then winxp has had in 5 years.

I gave mac a try i hated just about everything about it, especially the UI, I think the UI is clumsy has all heck. Win7 is far better than mac os x. In fact there are only 2 things i like about it. 1) it's unix (which isn't ever apples) 2) I put itunes on there so there aren't all 50 processes for itunes running in the background on my main PC.

alaskan_handyman

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Does anyone else out there that updated to 10.5.7 know if the graphics improvement to nVidia Graphics users enabled CUDA support at the OS level. I just ripped one of my DVD's to my iTunes Library using Handbrake, and went from an average 30 fps to close to 100 fps on my encode. The only change to my system was the update to 10.5.7.

Status
Not open for further replies.