Apple Reports $24.67 Billion in Q2 Revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
The reason Apple is where it is today is because of how much they invested in R+D in the past -- (from the apple newtwon and imac to the ipad and laser cut aluminum macbook) and such while other companies were busy fighting price + clock speed wars.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'm glad Steve Jobs was well enough to be part of the earnings.

Comparing Apple to Intel is silly. Anyone with half a brain would rather own Intel than Apple. Intel owns the microprocessor market, because they are the best. Their manufacturing is the best in the world, and has been for a very long time, and is essentially insurmountable. They can not be copied. Their designs are also superb, and would require enormous amounts of money to even compete against.

Apple's got a cute style that's easy to copy. They own nothing, and have to keep coming up with brilliantly conceived ideas that realize a market no one thought of. Give them their due, they've done it exceedingly and shockingly well the past several years, but what about before that? What happens if they misfire, and other companies catch or surpass them? We already see a lot of competition in the tablet market, and Android phones getting more and more attractive.

When someone says what's next for Intel, you look at a progressive history of success, and a future that looks unassailable. When you look at Apple, you look at a choppy past, a brilliant present, and a fragile and uncertain future. In five years, do you think Apple will still be double what Intel is? I surely do not. Apple would scare me to death to invest in. They are much more susceptible to mistakes. Intel has made them forever, without much impact at all, because their strengths are so formidable. Apple? They almost went out of business in the 90s.

Also, Intel has one major enemy, and it's a weakling (AMD). They have many allies. Apple has one major ally (Intel), and many formidable enemies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]EXT64[/nom]Yep, I noticed that too. Its because Intel spends their money on engineering and research, not marketing.[/citation]
I think you underestimate the cost of marketing.

And TA152H is more or less right. However, I can tell you right now that I ain't complaining about owning the Apple stock that I bought back in in the mid-90s. Though I will say that I'm rather tired to watch my stock value vary so wildly based on Jobs' personal health.

But, yes, its true Apple's ultra-popular gadgets won't carry them on forever. But, I think one of the ways they can have long term success is to find a way to get into the enterprise/business market. So far their attempts at that have largely failed (ie. the Xserve).

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]wasabiman123[/nom]+1 Apple is all show and pretty labby chassis and a marketing genius in charge of their company Steve Jobs is a lalalalalaing genius, you can't deny that, no one has that much power of manipulating a population ever...[/citation]
You are a sad little man....

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Goes to show how inflated Apple products' prices are. Ratio of income to revenue is almost 25%. And that includes overhead, mgmt salary, depreciation of equipment, factories, R&D, marketing, etc. Those ipads and ipods must cost 20 cents on the dollar to manufacture.

bloodlover

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Milk the Iphone/Ipad while you can... This won't last forever. I really hope people one day will get passed all the shiny NOTHING that Apple provides and look at serious companies and products in the same area.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]JWL3[/nom]Goes to show how inflated Apple products' prices are. Ratio of income to revenue is almost 25%. And that includes overhead, mgmt salary, depreciation of equipment, factories, R&D, marketing, etc. Those ipads and ipods must cost 20 cents on the dollar to manufacture.[/citation]
I bet you the vast majority of their income is from iTunes.

tony singh

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
A company selling overly expensive products which all their buyers know & making $24670000000 in an quarter .... tech world is really strange ;)

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
APPLE = marketing and aesthetic shinnies.
INTEL/AMD = Real innovation and development.

APPLE= has only been truly successful riding the wave of Intel innovation and architecture. Try to argue that FanBoys. PowerPC = FAIL

In addition I feel that OSx is a very good operating system and Apple spent ample time developing and fine tuning it but iOS is not at all in good in comparison to Android.

Hackintosh on a INTEL\AMD ftw.

zkevwlu

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
[citation][nom]bloodlover[/nom]Milk the Iphone/Ipad while you can... This won't last forever. I really hope people one day will get passed all the shiny NOTHING that Apple provides and look at serious companies and products in the same area.[/citation]

You still don't get it. Apple's success has been about capturing the market of non-techsavvy consumers. They're the first company in the whole damn world who developed products with considerations of ease of use in mind. People pay a premium for Apple products because of the stability and simplicity of their software. Say what you want, but that's smart business.

fyend

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]zkevwlu[/nom]You still don't get it. Apple's success has been about capturing the market of non-techsavvy consumers. They're the first company in the whole damn world who developed products with considerations of ease of use in mind. People pay a premium for Apple products because of the stability and simplicity of their software. Say what you want, but that's smart business.[/citation]

Nah its the illusion of ease of use that the marketing team uses to win over the sheeple. What is this business with having to activate your ipad/pod with a computer running Itunes? What if you bought it while you were on a trip and didn't have your laptop with you. Hmmm guess you'd have to wait till you got home to actually use it. Very convenient for the customer....

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Fyend[/nom]Nah its the illusion of ease of use that the marketing team uses to win over the sheeple. What is this business with having to activate your ipad/pod with a computer running Itunes? What if you bought it while you were on a trip and didn't have your laptop with you. Hmmm guess you'd have to wait till you got home to actually use it. Very convenient for the customer....[/citation]

Oh yes, lets point out one "clouded" facet and make the tremendous claim that the whole thing is stupid. Not to mention your example is pretty stupid to begin with.. They tell you what is required to use the item, no matter how cheap(relative to apple products). Heck, I bought a simple nano-touch this past weekend, and the rep made sure I knew what I needed to use the item (itunes version, and had a compatible computer).

Also, as Apple products themselves tend to be a little more expensive.. If you honestly didn't do any research before buying.. Can you really complain? That, would not be Apples fault. But the customers.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Comparing Apple to Intel is silly. Anyone with half a brain would rather own Intel than Apple. [/citation]

+1 90s dotcoms? anyone? Intel has been extremely steady. Apple is extremely volital. Any company that grew that fast should expect a collapse too.

But Intel does now have some competition, ARM. and x86 is killing them.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]How much of that was from selling it's customer's GPS data?...lmao. Apple is a marketing firm first and technology company 2nd unlike intel.[/citation]
Intel doesn't like privacy either. Their processors come with unique serial numbers which can be read through software. I'm sure that "feature" will be used by Google and even Apple in the future.

[citation][nom]zkevwlu[/nom]You still don't get it. Apple's success has been about capturing the market of non-techsavvy consumers. They're the first company in the whole damn world who developed products with considerations of ease of use in mind. People pay a premium for Apple products because of the stability and simplicity of their software. Say what you want, but that's smart business.[/citation]
That's right. No matter how we argue Apple, Dell, HP, Microsoft (etc.) products are overpriced and perform worse than others we're just a niche. We're 20% of the market, perhaps even less.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Suck it, Apple haters. How many more hours of sleep are you now going to lose in your pathetic little lives because a company you hate is raking in billions?

Status
Not open for further replies.