Apple Says No to Apple Netbook, iPhone Nano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
An Apple netbook is like Mercedes C-class; built for people that can only afford the logo and not the car. I guess many people that have no problem dropping a grand on Apple toys are having problem coping with the recession.

BA Barracus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
“We don’t know how to build a sub-$500 computer that is not a piece of junk,” Jobs said during an Apple earning call in 2008.

Cause you have to subtract the Apple tax probably 2 bones. that will leave you with 300 bucks to work with.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]An Apple netbook is like Mercedes C-class; built for people that can only afford the logo and not the car. I guess many people that have no problem dropping a grand on Apple toys are having problem coping with the recession.[/citation]

actually i would think a more fair comparison would be the mercedes B class. that's not a real mercedes.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
“We don’t know how to build a sub-$500 computer that is not a piece of junk,” Jobs said during an Apple earning call in 2008.

All that shiny plastic and buffed aluminum is expensive nowadays.

Just take a look at Tom's SBM, Steve Jobs doesn't know what he's talking about. If you can build a system that will play Crysis for $625, you could easily build a system that can run all 12 programs that run on Mac OSX.

If apple didn't over price their components, they could easily make a sub-$1000 system.

heygeo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
LOL.. wait.. isnt OSX suppose to be able to run on a timex sinclair processor and 14bytes of ram!... read between the lines.. we dont want to make a product that will cannabalize our existing user base because most of our users arent really using the performance we force them to pay for and would be perfectly happy with a netbook.

androticus

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
There is something morally energizing about a company that says "We don't want to sell the most widgets, we only want to sell great widgets." Focusing a company on making products of a certain level of quality is an excellent business strategy -- trying to mix "let's make something rock-bottom-cheap" into that would be like a virus that could eventually destroy the high-end line in a "death by a thousand tiny cheapifications" kind of effect.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Right. If you want to make the best phone on the market how about shoring up a couple of software issues that have been plaguing the iPhone since it was launched almost two years ago.

No camera zoom.
No MMS.
No copy and paste.
No voice dialing.
No video recording.
No landscape texting.

None of the above requires any hardware changes and have been problems since the iPhone was first released. Instead of TRYING to have the best phone on the market why don't you fix the one you currently DO have on the market. Stop giving features you THINK people want and give them what THEY want.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Nik_I[/nom]actually i would think a more fair comparison would be the mercedes B class. that's not a real mercedes.[/citation]
The C and even the E aren't real Mercedes.

G

Apple only know how to built expensive computers any cheaper it baffles them

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

They can't even build a computer that is not a piece of junk at their current prices.

G

For $149 cad you can get an 8 Gb iPhone
with about a $50/m 500mb data transfer with Rogers and free wifi over any open Internet wifi
For $249 you get a 16gb iphone

Do the math. Come say summer 2009 snow leopard will be released
It will take about 8gb of space, maybe less, for an operating system that will blow away anything that a netbook offers
No iPhone nano cause they may have a 16gb iPhone blowing the doors off of Netbooks
As it stands now a 16gb iPhone has thousands of apps, plus movies and music

I'd say for browsing the net the iPhone that fits in the pocket and can access the web almost everywhere with a camera and a phone etc will blow away any netbook

An iPhone with snow leopard would be unstoppable!

After all can netbook companies compete at the $250 range, the same price as a 16gb iPhone?

LOL

Apple is indeed smiling!

heygeo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
uhm... netbooks dont saddle you with a monthly service charge and a 2 yr commitment.. which is how you get the iphone 16gb for 249.00 by the way.. if you dont get the 2yr service contract then you pay more like... 600.00 for that iphone

So if you are comparing the true $$ involved then you are really saying

netbook = 300.00 or iphone = 600.00

and netbooks will run Windows 7 soon... with a 1gb ram and a 1.6ghz atom processor.. hmm... whats in an iphone? and lets be real for a moment.. are you really going to compare the craplets iphone has to the worlds entire catalogue of windows apps?!

never confuse toys like iphones with actual computers... iphones weren't even designed as smartphones per Steve Jobs 1 year ago when asked regarding exchange compatibility, they are fun novelties meant to replace the ipod.

if apple is smiling.. they are doing so nervously like every boutique computer manufacturer.. on the other hand all the 3rd world kids are finally smiling.. long live OLPC

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Comparing the iPhone to a netbook? What a joke. You can't even compare it to a current gen WiMo phone, they blow iPhones out of the water, so far as features and abilities go.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Apple need to fix the bugs with Airport before they offer any netbook. there is a software issue with With Airport that causes it to not play well with WiFi. I know I have a Macbook and it drives me crazy sometimes. If you google Airport slow for instance you will get tons of hits on the subject. Mine is finally playing nice with my new Cisco router so I am not changing any more settings.
I am hoping that Snow Leopard will fix this. Yes, I will be buying Snow Leapard after reading some reviews first though. Snow Leopard will be moving to full 64bit (Leapard is a mix of 32-64) and the ZFS file system or at least be able to read and write to it. I hope they use it for the OS too. Google it if you don't know what probably is the most advances file system on the planet it (ZFS).

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
The $500 junk comment is funny, considering it's coming from a company that produced the 1st generation Mac Mini, and continues to stiffle it's products with unreasonably low amounts of memory (especially considering DDR2 is <$10.00 retail in most cases). And I'll second vladtepes comment about OSX being so 'superior' and 'efficient' and apparently will not run well on a netbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS