Apple Shows New Metal, Nvidia Powered MacBooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

wymer100

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I'm looking forward to seeing and working with them at my local Apple store. One reason Apple probably moved away from Intel to nvidia GPUs is OpenCL that's part of MacOSX 10.6 Snow Leopard.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
10 hours late? What? try 2. The earliest article elsewhere regarding this was posted little more than an hour and a half before this was.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Could this finally be the MacBook hardware that manages to impress the PC crowd? Only time, and sales, will tell.

Since Apple Inc.'s marketing and product folio is based on their design, let me put it straight:

Many, including me, regards Apple Inc.'s design style simply as GAY. Besides, we PC crowds are more into price/performance, not fashion or suggestive life style that Apple Inc.'s brand-centric marketing tried so hard to build.

Besides, Compiz-Fusion looks infinitely better than the banal OSX interface.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]wymer100[/nom]I'm looking forward to seeing and working with them at my local Apple store. One reason Apple probably moved away from Intel to nvidia GPUs is OpenCL that's part of MacOSX 10.6 Snow Leopard.[/citation]

That makes no sense. The OpenCL isn't out and much less drivers that support it.

Airrax

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Environmentally friendly my rear! Taking a 2.5 lb brick of aluminum and machining it down to .25 lb is Incredibly wasteful. Not only do you have 2.25 lb of waste (that needs to be shipped back to a recycling plant to be remelted to another brick of aluminum), but machining a brick of aluminum takes a lot of time. In that time you require a lot of power to run the Mill, a lot of coolant (oil) to keep the drill bit cool, and a lot of NOT environmentally friendly cleansers to get the oil off of the finished part!

You can get the same part (or nearly so) by punching out a thin sheet of aluminum the desired thickness. The punch would not only give you the desired shape (with all mounting holes), but it would also reduce time, effort, and waste by a great deal.

Does anyone else fail to see the design changes? I swear, every macbook looks the same. All of them. Black, white, silver and shiny or matte. That's all the choice you get.
And it still has 2 USB ports.

Not impressed.

tim851

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]Many, including me, regards Apple Inc.'s design style simply as GAY[/citation]

You'll grow out of that.

[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]Besides, we PC crowds are more into price/performance, not fashion or suggestive life style that Apple Inc.'s brand-centric marketing tried so hard to build.[/citation]

Yeah, that's why the PC crowd spends cumulative years of their lifespan in Intel vs. AMD and nVidia vs. ATI flamewars. So superior!

G

2 tim851> Better then spending a lifetime in Mac vs. Mac' FLAME WARS(TM). :)

Mac' = PC - Mac

P.S. - my AS400 is zilion times superior!

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
The funny thing is, Apple has no low end or high end products, only a mid-range line up that impress the uninformed. I would take the $6,000 ThinkPad quad core over the Mac Pro any day.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]tim851[/nom]You'll grow out of that.[/citation]

Funny that every gay man I know thinks everybody is living in a closet waiting to "grow out."

wymer100

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom][/citation]
That's true, but OpenCL will be out next year. Apple wants to sell computers now that are able to run it. Otherwise, there would be less incentives to upgrade when MacOS 10.6 is released.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
paving the way for support of multi-finger gestures, now supporting up to four digits.
I only need a one fingered gesture to tell Steve what he can do with his 'glassed out' macbooks. What happens when the thing gets pinched in my backpack and the chassis bends like its made of foil (o, wait) and the screen shatters like a windshield? Composite bodies, plastic displays, these were all developed specifically to improve durability and reduce failure. Going back to all metal and all glass is a step backwards, IMO.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Airrax[/nom] In that time you require a lot of power to run the Mill, a lot of coolant (oil) to keep the drill bit cool, and a lot of NOT environmentally friendly cleansers to get the oil off of the finished part![/citation]

A previous TH articles states "Apple’s new technique involves the use of 3D laser technology and water jets to carve out precise structures from a brick of aluminum" so no oil or material cooling required. I do agree that there is plenty of waste though. But only time will tell for sure on whether or not this will be less wasteful. I have yet to read anything about the new machines for these Mac's.

The idea is to make it stronger (glass although structurally stronger has far less flexibility). My plan hit them with a hammer harder and they will still break. :)

Custom built PC's FTW!

miltoxbeyond

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Only the real pro desktop solutions really are worth the price (only sort-of though, cuz they're still too expensive). Those are the ones with RAID, good graphics cards, real powerful cpu's/dual cpu's... I work with several companies that have these, and they definitely are nice to work on, especially with the Cinema Displays...

but Macbook's are really just not that great...

KITH

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
i like the idea of the aluminum chassis. the plastic top case on my macbook likes to crack repeatedly. stupid cheap plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.