Apple Subsidiary Braeburn is 'World's Largest Hedge Fund'

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredErica

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I hate Apple too, but I'm getting kind of tired of seeing the word apple. I'm starting to dislike the fruit, now. That's how bad it's getting.

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
So wait... Their products are made by [almost] slaves in China and then they ship the money to Ireland? And here I thought Apple was an American company.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
And the US comes after us, the little guys, for avoid paying taxes. Where do I signup to to have my assets move to Ireland so I can pay less tax?

Oh, you don't take chump change? Oh well, I have to keep on paying them.... lol

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Major companies known to employ the Double Irish strategy are:
Apple Inc.
Eli Lilly and Company
Facebook
Forest Laboratories
Google
Microsoft
Oracle Corp.
Pfizer Inc.

Source: Wikipedia

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I see this as a damning indictment of the tax laws in the USA, none of these companies are doing anything illegal and countries like Ireland, Netherland, have rates of corporate tax at this level for just this reason. Set up a small office in their country and they get a chunk of money that would otherwise go to the USA. So how about the USA sets up several tiers of tax payment when the money involved is above the several-billions mark and incentivise these companies to come back. Simply saying "let's set a tax for these big companies and we will get a windfall" clearly has failed and all they have done is take their business elsewhere. The UK has done the same by dropping corporation tax. If you open yourself for business, you will get the money.

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I don't know what hedge fund is and don't want to but suffice to say that it is undoubtedly evil just like everything else Apple and Wallstreet these days and ever for that matter.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I don't really blame them actually. I'm just working a regular low paying job and don't own a business but I can understand why they do that. Why would I give lots of my money to a corrupt government that only gives me regulations, rules and more legal stuff to follow. The rule of thumb with government is, the more money you give them, the more they spend. Its a bottomless pit. I just wish we all could do this too :p

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Billions in revenue and barely any tax being paid. What these parasites pay in taxes is the same ratio as a person who gets a salary of 50k and only pays $100.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
There's nothing wrong with Capitalism
There's nothing wrong with free enterprise
Don't try to make me feel guilty
I'm so tired of hearing you cry

There's nothing wrong with making some profit
If you ask me I'll say it's just fine
There's nothing wrong with wanting to live nice
I'm so tired of hearing you whine
About the revolution
Bringin' down the rich
When was the last time you dug a ditch, baby!

Excerpt from 'Capitalism' by Oingo Boingo

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I see this as a damning indictment of the tax laws in the USA, none of these companies are doing anything illegal and countries like Ireland, Netherland, have rates of corporate tax at this level for just this reason. Set up a small office in their country and they get a chunk of money that would otherwise go to the USA. So how about the USA sets up several tiers of tax payment when the money involved is above the several-billions mark and incentivise these companies to come back. Simply saying "let's set a tax for these big companies and we will get a windfall" clearly has failed and all they have done is take their business elsewhere. The UK has done the same by dropping corporation tax. If you open yourself for business, you will get the money.[/citation]

I agree. I wouldn't hold it against the companies legally for avoiding US tax in a legal way such as this (I'm a little behind in this, but I've heard that the tax rates on businesses can be even more ridiculous than those on the individual people) and the US government should fix this problem at the source, how they issue taxes.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Here, I am in favor of Apple. They are the lesser of the two evils. Due to the unfair taxes, the government has force large company to result to these tactics.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]I don't really blame them actually. I'm just working a regular low paying job and don't own a business but I can understand why they do that. Why would I give lots of my money to a corrupt government that only gives me regulations, rules and more legal stuff to follow. The rule of thumb with government is, the more money you give them, the more they spend. Its a bottomless pit. I just wish we all could do this too[/citation]

Well, some rules and regulations are kinda important. I'd hate to see the situations that we'd be in if we didn't regulate food or very anti-competitive business practices.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Well Apple simply wants a ton of money saved for the bad times. Apple is on a roll that few companies have experienced so save for the future since nothing lasts forever.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Tax evasion is a crime and any individual caught gets fined and/or send to jail. Since the Supreme Court ruled that a company is a person, the same should apply to Apple. You can't send all Apple employees to jail (that'd be unfair), but you could send their CEO and the rest of the brass around him... mmm...

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
So what if Apple tries hiding its money.

The Rich never paid taxes. They middle class is the backbone of society. Without a strong middle class we are doomed.

G

I see this as a damning indictment of the tax laws in the USA, none of these companies are doing anything illegal and countries like Ireland, Netherland, have rates of corporate tax at this level for just this reason. Set up a small office in their country and they get a chunk of money that would otherwise go to the USA. So how about the USA sets up several tiers of tax payment when the money involved is above the several-billions mark and incentivise these companies to come back. Simply saying "let's set a tax for these big companies and we will get a windfall" clearly has failed and all they have done is take their business elsewhere. The UK has done the same by dropping corporation tax. If you open yourself for business, you will get the money.

If you actually took the time to learn about what a double irish dutch with a dutch sandwich was you'd know that it actually has very little to do with the irish corporate tax rate, which is actually the second highest effective tax rate in Europe.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
@the_gavanator - It doesn't matter how low you set taxes. Some companies, and individuals, don't want to pay ANY taxes. They'll always find a loop hole. In July 1981 Ronald Reagan slashed corporate taxes like never before and after about one year it caused such a disaster that he ultimately had to increase everyone's taxes (11 times during his presidency!!) more than he had cut. Companies did not reinvest the money from the tax cuts into the economy, but instead increases the dividends they paid off to their share holders (rich-gets-richer). In all history of all nations around the world, cutting corporate tax has never spurred economic growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.