Apple Suffers Largest Share Price Decrease in Four Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
In other news!

http://www.valuewalk.com/2012/12/apple-inc-aapl-launch-turnout-for-ipad-mini-in-china-is-rotten/

I find it funny that this guy is blaming it on the reservation system. I also find it funny that he states the chinese customer is not interested in a smaller ipad because they already own the full sized one. Your average chinese family simply cannot afford a full sized iPad... they got for the cheapo 50-70 USD android tablets that dominate the market there from iView and similar companies..

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
it's like star wars.. the clarity of good rebellion (android) vs evil empire (apple).. the empire throws its might around (sues everybody) and forces them into restrictive laws (devices) then the good guys show up bringing freedom (open soarce) and more options to the galaxy (market)

hope people keep turning from the dark side

(why yes i beleive this is my nerdiest to date)

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
If only android had invented the iPad and iPhone before Apple, then we wouldn't have had to go through the hell of them being so-so successful for a couple years. But anyway, now we've reeled them in. Let's see if they can do this kind of lucky "innovation" (ie evilness) again. Hopefully they have learned their lesson and not continue with the clever ideas/evilness in future.

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]it's like star wars.. the clarity of good rebellion (android) vs evil empire (apple).. the empire throws its might around (sues everybody) and forces them into restrictive laws (devices) then the good guys show up bringing freedom (open soarce) and more options to the galaxy (market)hope people keep turning from the dark side(why yes i beleive this is my nerdiest to date)[/citation]

The force is strong with this one

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Easy get, easy go.

First its Steve, then innovation and last would be the dear customers.

The best iPhone is still the first one,. anything after it is rehashed design and hardware.

G

The reason was that Apple lost to Nokia on a biggest deal to grab the China market of smartphone. China largest telecom company said that they will go with Nokia flagship 920 instead of paying higher subsidies on the iphone.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2012/12/07/how-nokia-beat-apple-in-china/

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
[citation][nom]friskiest[/nom]Easy get, easy go. First its Steve, then innovation and last would be the dear customers. The best iPhone is still the first one,. anything after it is rehashed design and hardware.[/citation]
The best iPhone was definitely not the first one, it couldn't even copy and paste!

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
They've lost the ability to innovate...everything is a rehash of old stuff...they release hardware that's a year old...and their followers continously upgrade for small changes so they'll always be crazy profitable.
It's sad really :p

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]it's like star wars.. the clarity of good rebellion (android) vs evil empire (apple).. the empire throws its might around (sues everybody) and forces them into restrictive laws (devices) then the good guys show up bringing freedom (open soarce) and more options to the galaxy (market)hope people keep turning from the dark side(why yes i beleive this is my nerdiest to date)[/citation]
How about the 2% tax they paid on international profits (others do this too but doesn't make it right)
Or The holding of billions of dollars without using it. The economy requires turnover of money not static wealth accumulation.
Or their until recently complete lack of dividends.
or the CEO Tim / Jobs both being paid $1 a year + shares to avoid tax.
or Them paying for expert testimony's (again not just them but this is wrong)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]hate machine[/nom]In other news!http://www.valuewalk.com/2012/12/a [...] is-rotten/I find it funny that this guy is blaming it on the reservation system. I also find it funny that he states the chinese customer is not interested in a smaller ipad because they already own the full sized one. Your average chinese family simply cannot afford a full sized iPad... they got for the cheapo 50-70 USD android tablets that dominate the market there from iView and similar companies..[/citation]

Or they buy fake iPads or knockoffs (such as Hi5 phone, or Phonei phone).

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Just one more thing, compare how much money people like Gates, Buffet, Zuckerburg gave to the needy to Jobs / Cooks.
I would not buy a apple product even if they made the best product in the world!

G

[citation][nom]j2j663[/nom]The best iPhone was definitely not the first one, it couldn't even copy and paste![/citation]

I think he was talking more about innovation, it wasn't the first smartphone available but it certainly changed the way we think of phones today, its the thing that brought 3D gaming onto a tiny device as well as a powerful OS (compared to things like the samsung operating systems at the time)

I think the last innovations from Apple were the retina displays in the iPhone 4 and iPad 3, other than that, nothing else has really popped out, but now they are both outdated by 1080p phones and the nexus 10

G

This is a win for open-ness, inclusiveness and tinker-ability over consumer lock-in and proprietary software.

Android is the new PC, LInux and open source are eternal, and anything else is doomed for failure through the same natural selection that eventually kills all proprietary software:

Step 1: Make a good product
Step 2: Continually add more features so that you can charge for upgrades
Step 3: Bloated, unmaintainable code with bugs that cannot be fixed without breaking something else
Step 4: Gone, and not missed by anybody

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Apple stock was overbought, simple as that. People and funds are selling to take money off the table, or risk losing it. How often have we heard people holding on to something, thinking the value would rise forever, only to lose it all?

Microsoft offered Yahoo $32 a share. Yahoo wanted something like $37. Microsoft said thanks but no thanks. Yahoo is at $19 today.

Matt Barkley returned to USC for his senior season rather than enter this past year's NFL draft where he could have been a high first round pick. His value plunged as USC had a horrible season. He lost out on possibly $15 million over the next 4 years in contract alone.

Sometimes people need to cash out to secure their profit. Holding on forever doesn't make any money.

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
@hate machine

I agree with you, China barely even buy Apple products because they are so overpriced(don't know why you said a lot of Chinese people have them though). They don't fall for Apples bullshit of paying $300 for an iPad when you can get a galaxy tab or note for so much cheaper and better.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]Apple stock was overbought, simple as that...[/citation]

blurr91 is right. Whatever you think of Apple, the stock market is another entity. It behaves less rationally than most want to admit. People kept betting on Apple as if they would make more and more things, overcome all other competition, and dominate all markets. The stock was bought up on the assumption that the price would rise continually. Now that the hype is wearing off, that it is becoming apparent Apple isn't magic and can't just pull things out a hat and expect people to buy them, investors are cashing out while they're ahead. In other words, Apple stock was a bubble, and that bubble is bursting. It's not as severe as a housing market bubble, or a bubble on the entire internet and PC market, but it works the same way. Honestly, no one knows how far Apple stock will fall, but it will keep losing value until Apple or its competitors give it a reason to stop falling.

The minute you think that Android (Google) is "good" and that Apple is "Bad" is the day that you as a consumer have lost. They are simply companies that provide products. Personally I dislike Apple products, but it is because I do not like the UI and design philosophy, not because they are evil. similarly I like windows based devices because they integrate well with each-other and typically play nice with other platforms, and (frankly) because it is what I am use to, but that hardly makes MS a 'good' company.

who didn't see an Apple stock correction coming? I don't know a single apple user who is happy with them at the moment (and most of the people I know are apple users) because of the fast product refreshes, and a general loss of direction of the company as a whole.

What made Apple special was that Steve Jobs had a vision, and knew how to pursue it properly. He did not market apple devices as being devices 'for everyone', he wanted to make it special, simple, and expensive, which is what he did.
Tim Cook is a good business man, in that he knows how to run the logistic side of a company. But he wants to bring apple to the masses, which will force price cuts, which will force more laxed QC, which will kill consumer interest and profits. You cannot run apple like you run any other business. Apple was built up around a certain ideal (one I personally don't care for), and to move away from that is going to bring a lot of corporate and shareholder pain.

Personally I give apple 3 years. They will either learn from their recent mistakes and pull through, or they will become the apple of the '90s who have a small cult following, but are always 2 steps behind, and 2x overpriced.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
They're really on the losing end here. They could come out with a new fad but there's a good chance it won't receive the same reaction as the iPhone or iPad did. In fact, what I think will happen is that the iSheep will have extremely high expectations and will not be happy with whatever Apple put out in the future and the stock will go back where it belongs - sub $100 levels.

chewbie

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
So many people here, especially techies don't understand that apple products are overpriced because they're somewhat of a status symbol. People don't buy them for the specs alone

On an unrelated note, NOKIA stock up to $3.5 from $1.5 just 5 months ago

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
The Mayans were right! Could it be that Apple stock is part of a bubble? Time for them to think really hard about a new revolutionary prod60uct. There are many things Apple could steal, improve, and then claim as their own again.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]chewbie[/nom]So many people here, especially techies don't understand that apple products are overpriced because they're somewhat of a status symbol. People don't buy them for the specs aloneOn an unrelated note, NOKIA stock up to $3.5 from $1.5 just 5 months ago[/citation]this has little to do with the product overprice, the stock itself is already overprice. Even if Apple is selling awesome product(if there is any). Apple will not grow that fast as their stock price. This year Apple did not generate more than 150% of the total profit in 2011, why should its stocks goes >50% higher? check AAPL in yahoo finance and look the 2years chart then u know the whole idea why this drop is not surprising lol

Status
Not open for further replies.