Apple Tablet Rumored for Q1 of 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
And this is economical how?

Hospitals and other businesses who use tablets aren't going to switch over their entire tech infrastructure to use a Mac Tablet.

Perhaps Apple's genius marketing team could work with McDonalds to bring us the McTablet?

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Its going to be an over sized iPhone not to mention overpriced. And claims not to be a netbook because its a tablet but still 10"

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
And Apple will claim that they invented the tablet and somehow everyone else are just copycats.

How the hell were the granted the patent on multitouch for small devices?

cekasone

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
why would they even bother making this. knowing apple, its going to cost a shit ton, and in 6 months or less a new model is going to make this one obsolete.

G

While I am bummed that this is (supposedly) a Q1-2010 release versus a Q4-2009 release, this is good news, and as I have stated it's a real complex undertaking, as this is no mere iPod with a bigger screen.

Most fundamentally, it forces the company to define its "matrix" thinking between hardware form factors and software forking decisions (e.g., iPhone OS, Mac OS, hybrid OS, download anything anywhere, exclusively limit to App Store), not to mention the service layer and developer tool interconects between same, a topic that I blogged about in:

Apple, the ‘Boomer’ Tablet and the Matrix
http://bit.ly/DwziS

Check it out, if interested.

Mark

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
When windows came out with XP Tablet, I knew apple really dropped the ball on teaming up with Wacom. Convertible and other Tablet PCs really rocked and made strong progress in the laptop realm. Then apple came out with multi-touch on the iphone. It was so smooth and worked so well was how the iphone became such a huge hit. We always had touch devices but rarely a well functioning multi touch with use of gestures (sorry palm dropped the ball on that). Now that Apple reinvented the touch mobile industry like they did with the mp3 industry, It makes sense they set their sights on mobile computing. With the introduction of the macbook air that set the bar or ultra portable, This move, though late would be interesting.

I'm excited for an apple touch tablet. I really look forward to what they have to offer in terms of design and function, especially since Apple is so far late in the game where they are used to being the trend setters.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Hate apple all you want, but they are so far the only PC manufacturer out there to start trends and really break out the mold for good hardware design that offers both form and functionality. Considering how other manufactures try and copy them just proves that Apple sets the trend and breaks new ground.
This move however will be a challenge. It could sink like the Apple Cube or MacBook air

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
Those rounded shiny chromed edges look awful. I'd expect a lot more from something designed actually by Steve Jobs.
It's just wrong, it doesn't look serious to me.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I really don't see the market in a tablet based computer using an Atom processor and a 10" screen. When it comes to kiosks and in-dash devices this one is too flimsy and expensive to be used in those roles.

When it comes to editing pictures the processer and VGA are too weak to handle that.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
What is all the criticism about? There are no specs, why assume this thing will have an atom CPU (though it might be a good guess) and that there's no market for it?

I'm into picture editing myself, my old Athlon XP 2500+ and ATI radeon 9700 pro still works like a champ with Photoshop CS3. Seriously, you don't need insane computing power to edit photos. For real intensive editing you should take it to a desktop anyways.

That being said I despise all apple products. I hope they get this right though because eventually it trickles down to the PC world too.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Kingssman[/nom]Hate apple all you want, but they are so far the only PC manufacturer out there to start trends and really break out the mold for good hardware design that offers both form and functionality. Considering how other manufactures try and copy them just proves that Apple sets the trend and breaks new ground.This move however will be a challenge. It could sink like the Apple Cube or MacBook air[/citation]

Hmmm... so you are saying all the generations of convertible tablets and slate PCs were copying this upcoming Apple product?

I can't judge this due to the lack of specs, but it is obviously no ModBook - and I doubt it will match a good Motion Computing slate.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
[citation][nom]aoster87[/nom]Perhaps Apple's genius marketing team could work with McDonalds to bring us the McTablet?[/citation]

to swallow???
I would never swallow anything from apple nor mcdonalds
:)

rcmaniac25

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
At least many every other companies have at least some experience with tablets. That way when Apple comes out with this, tablets will become popular and the other manufacturers will be able to out price, out produce, and out do Apple in pretty much every area except the "trend followers"... because they'll be pissed they payed 2-3 times as much for something that has yet to get past the problems that were fixed years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.