Apple to Name Intel's Light Peak as 'Thunderbolt'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Could care less about what Apple names it, but this Intel Light Peak technology actually looks very promising on paper.

BUT, it sounds somewhat expensive, and thus will never catch on. Hopefully I'm wrong.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Wait a second, Light peak is pretty much a video and data cable in one right?

So in other words, It's a lot like HDMI, which can also act as both data and video/sound. (HDMI = Ethernet too).

But lightpeak is so much faster i guess, but it'll be a few years before anything can utilize it.

G

I wonder if this version is using copper or fiber. I recall reading that Intel switched to copper because the pricing was too high with fiber. Thunderbolt? pretty silly name if you ask me, what next Rolling Lightning? Ray of Sound? Sound Ray???

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Your USB and firewire connections still run at the standard speed, there is no real speed gain here. This is peripheral connection aggregation. Softpedia says 10gigabit bandwidth, probably a "peak" number, not the actual result, more than likely copper as well. Intel has to work on this more before it becomes viable, it`s a small step towards integration though, and all of these cumulative steps have brought us here now. Don`t expect it for PC too soon unless it manages to blow everything out of the water.

[citation][nom]PhilDgraves[/nom]I wonder if this version is using copper or fiber. I recall reading that Intel switched to copper because the pricing was too high with fiber. Thunderbolt? pretty silly name if you ask me, what next Rolling Lightning? Ray of Sound? Sound Ray???[/citation]

They should just brand it Light Peak, I think it is realy a good name, and I can imagine some pretty awesome logo's.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
First of, it's called Light peak, which it isn't because they downgraded it to cupper, now they call it thunderbolt.

Why in the hell have names become important just for marketing, it doesn't mater any more what technology is actually sold. Like with AMD's fusion

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]So many questions...Will Apple skip USB3.0?Will Firewire3200 ever see the light of day?How long will Apple support FW800?[/citation]

Knowing apple, they will probably support firewire for 1 maybe 2 generations more before killing it forcing people who cant go without the latest macbook, to get new devices that support the new connector. Or if the user chooses, they can keep their old devices and buy the inevitable Apple branded adapters which will be with very high price markups.

G

Isn't Thunderbolt the name of the HTC phone that's suppose to blow away iPhones? Hmmmm interesting choice. I wonder why 'Light Peak' wasn't good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.