Apple to Offer 25% Off Macs on Black Friday

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]How about you list those "reasons to be nervous about Apple."? But before doing so, please list how many Apple computers you currently own and your frequency of usage.[/citation]

Here are a couple reasons for you:

1) Apple sells expensive products in a slow economy (w/ 10% unemployment)
2) High praise and popularity of Windows 7
3) The emergence of OSX trojans and viruses

How's that sound?

Oh and don't spew meaningless data about current stock prices and subject us to your garbage opinion on which company is doing better. You are just another punk moron posting on Tom's Hardware. Shut up already.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]If you understand anything about capital sales, then you understand that it is always a good thing to have low inventory...new products or not. Keep the inventory low and you keep manufacturing up. To have a big inventory also indicates that the product is not moving. Also, even if the profit is minimized as long as you have capital flowing in then all is well. Capital does not flow while products sit in inventory.[/citation]

Clearly you must be some sort of business/management genius!

/sarcasm

3dmiller

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Let me start by saying that I love Apple products. I buy Apple products. I use them on a daily basis. And with that, V8VENOM, you're posts are seriously flawed. Apple and Microsoft are not mutually exclusive, and from a company perspective the two are so different you can't really compare them.

And your references to stock tickers are way off base. One could just as easily say Apple has a market cap of $186B and Microsoft has a market cap of $265B, so Microsoft is the better company, which, just like your statement, is hollow.

Do all of us Apple people a favor and stop making us look bad.

BTW, I'm writing this on my PC running Windows 7, which I am thoroughly enjoying.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I am always wary when advertised sales are "up to x% off". It usually means that last year's model will be x% off, and the good stuff will be (x/10)% off.

biometricsguy

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]WOW!!! So apple will finally have their macs priced at a normal price, instead of their regular screw job of a price. SO for one day apple will not bending over their customers and doing them from behind.[/citation]

I wouldn't go that far. It just means that for one day their products will only be 75% overpriced. ;)

G

If I dont pay an extra $500 for a MAC, how am I supposed to feel like an elite snob?

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
haha its funny how many people talk crap about any news regarding apple.
First, Apple is to expensive, greedy as***s.
Now Apple is giving 25-30% dicsount, and they must be going bankrupt...
Lol, it's black Friday sale, everyone gives discounts so get your heads out of your fanboy's arses :)

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]pullmyfinger123[/nom]Sounds like this deal won't be available online then, correct?[/citation]
Yeah... only in selected stores, which sucks cause you'll have to go and camp outside...

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
This is to move the older hardware people, calm down. The i7 iMacs and 8-core Mac Pro towers will still set you back more $$ than any Win7 PC fanboi would be willing to pay.

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
As much as I don't like Apple overall, this is a fairly smart marketing approach in my opinion. It will draw new people in and combat the "Macs are too expensive" viewpoint.

HOWEVER, this may end up hurting them due to that fact that people may now start to wait out for price drops as they are becoming more frequent.

Just my opinion.

maniac5999

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hey, Is it just me, or did the price of Macbook Pros just go up by about $200 each overnight? I'm pretty sure the base 15" was at $1500 yesterday, and it's at $1700 today.

Raise the price and then offer 25% off, lol, typical apple.

To be honest, If I could get a 13" Macbook pro for $750, I'd jump on it. I like the design of the case, It's got pretty good specs, and the battery life is great. I'd put Win7 on it and be happy for about 5 years.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
If they give 25% off the cheapest 15" Macbook Pro priced at $1700 it will be a $425 discount, giving a price of $1275 for a 15" Macbook Pro, nothing to sneeze at. I would have to think real hard if they did this. That would be a sweet machine, one other option I would go for, a matte finish screen.
I will have to look at their web site on black Friday.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]maniac5999[/nom]Hey, Is it just me, or did the price of Macbook Pros just go up by about $200 each overnight? I'm pretty sure the base 15" was at $1500 yesterday, and it's at $1700 today. Raise the price and then offer 25% off, lol, typical apple.To be honest, If I could get a 13" Macbook pro for $750, I'd jump on it. I like the design of the case, It's got pretty good specs, and the battery life is great. I'd put Win7 on it and be happy for about 5 years.[/citation]
No it is the same because I have been eyeing one but holding off because of price.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]If you understand anything about capital sales, then you understand that it is always a good thing to have low inventory...new products or not. Keep the inventory low and you keep manufacturing up. To have a big inventory also indicates that the product is not moving. Also, even if the profit is minimized as long as you have capital flowing in then all is well. Capital does not flow while products sit in inventory.[/citation]

Yeah, that always sounds good on paper...

G

For how long will people that love osx and mac hardware (cause it is pretty, lighter, smarter, etc etc) will hold before leaving one more good hardware site, this whole kids windows 7 shit is either paid or the world is damned. I lived my life hearing about M$ ( wonder why that nickname) , got that crap called vista, which was the last drop, went to mac without any high hope and got in love with it... Is that the end? No it,s not, my 2 and half years old mac book died and had 2 work 1 month in windows 7 x64, for godssake it sucksss, I justbought a previous gen MacBook till new Proscome out... Yeah all of that due to the lovely Snow Leopard you boys never tried!!!! Did I heard here about mac full of virus, isthT for real? In 2 years never worried about virus or Trojans? What about you? I'm simply pretty much tired ofthoseboys with same nicks always after Marcus or any other person who praises Apple ... Simply because they like their tools of trade ... Over priced or not!

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]I see the grass humper Windows fanboys are back posting -- go enjoy your Windows 7 PC and desktop ads. Really this thread is not for you, it invalidates all your long held BS beliefs about [/citation]

Jeez, another Window flamer out there. I prefer Linux myself but this Apple vs Windows is lame! An Apple is just plain ugly and has been for years, not much supports it and wouldn't pay thousands of dollars for a Net surfer! At least Windows presents itself well and doesn't delete user accounts! The Apple commercials are pretty stupid too since they just diss Windows and have for what seems like for ages.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Whatelsee[/nom]For how long will people that love osx and mac hardware (cause it is pretty, lighter, smarter, etc etc) will hold before leaving one more good hardware site, this whole kids windows 7 shit is either paid or the world is damned. I lived my life hearing about M$ ( wonder why that nickname) , got that crap called vista, which was the last drop, went to mac without any high hope and got in love with it... Is that the end? No it,s not, my 2 and half years old mac book died and had 2 work 1 month in windows 7 x64, for godssake it sucksss, I justbought a previous gen MacBook till new Proscome out... Yeah all of that due to the lovely Snow Leopard you boys never tried!!!! Did I heard here about mac full of virus, isthT for real? In 2 years never worried about virus or Trojans? What about you? I'm simply pretty much tired ofthoseboys with same nicks always after Marcus or any other person who praises Apple ... Simply because they like their tools of trade ... Over priced or not![/citation]

I simply could care less for I have used all the major OSes to develop programs in...I just can't stand Apple fanboys who praise Apple and diss Windows or visa versa. I use whatever is available and use well...I have my views on each (personally I hate M$) but I still have to use their products...simple as that. But to claim that the other sucks bc the user is too stupid to figure it out for productivity is too bad...so then stick to being a closed-minded user. I think all the OSes have something great to offer...to say one is the ultimate is well...just plain silly.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
they are probably worried that their Buy A Mac ads aren't working and are thus resorting to heavy markdowns to push inventory to not look like they are being crushed by Windows 7.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Macintosh is in a sad state. They are only kept alive by iPods and iPhones it appears (with their measly 5% computer market share).
Hope this helps. While I may not like Microsoft, we benefit from them having a strong presence (pressuring Microsoft and others to compete).

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Wow... couple good posts, but mostly subjective, blind fanaticism (from all sides). Thank you to those who have kept objective and offered a real basis for your arguments. To the others, try and step in someone else's shoes and see things from their perspective a bit. You may not like something and it may not fit your needs/budget/taste but it may fit someone else quite well. Also, please make sure you are comparing like attributes and explain what it is you're comparing. Thanks.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Parsifal57[/nom]I thought apple were doing well, this would seem to indicate otherwise, since Apple rarely discount anything[/citation]

Yes this is a good observation, if it was just the 25% off Macs, then we could assume they are liquidating stock for the new annual update to the Macbooks, which usually happens just before Christmas every year. Since iPods are on sale (iPods get refreshed every August/September), it would indicate otherwise.

This appears to many columnist as a lack of product integrity by management - still great if you want a large capacity iPod or new Macbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.