Apple Turns Back on Windows XP for iCloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I'm guessing they know - much like everyone else out there - that XP is way too far behind the curve as far as security goes.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Not surprised. Microsoft itself doesn't even really want to support Windows XP anymore (as evident in not bringing IE 9 to XP). So why support an OS that 1) Is not even your OS, and 2) is an OS that not even Microsoft truly supports.

So, this time at least, Apple is being reasonable.

Maybe, just maybe, if Microsoft offered a Windows 7 upgrade for $30, like Apple will be offering their Mac OX X 10.7 upgrade for $30, Microsoft wouldn't have to worry about supporting Windows XP anymore at all.
But unfortunately(?) Windows XP still dominates the business/enterprise world, and they are significantly slower at upgrading than the common consumer. Hell, even the White House still runs Windows XP.

saood06

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Not surprised. Microsoft itself doesn't even really want to support Windows XP anymore (as evident in not bringing IE 9 to XP). So why support an OS that 1) Is not even your OS, and 2) is an OS that not even Microsoft truly supports.So, this time at least, Apple is being reasonable.Maybe, just maybe, if Microsoft offered a Windows 7 upgrade for $30, like Apple will be offering their Mac OX X 10.7 upgrade for $30, Microsoft wouldn't have to worry about supporting Windows XP anymore at all.But unfortunately(?) Windows XP still dominates the business/enterprise world, and they are significantly slower at upgrading than the common consumer. Hell, even the White House still runs Windows XP.[/citation]
they do have a 30 dollars windows 7 pro upgrade but its only for students im still using xp no reason to upgrade till i get my new comp

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Not surprised. Microsoft itself doesn't even really want to support Windows XP anymore (as evident in not bringing IE 9 to XP). So why support an OS that 1) Is not even your OS, and 2) is an OS that not even Microsoft truly supports.So, this time at least, Apple is being reasonable.Maybe, just maybe, if Microsoft offered a Windows 7 upgrade for $30, like Apple will be offering their Mac OX X 10.7 upgrade for $30, Microsoft wouldn't have to worry about supporting Windows XP anymore at all.But unfortunately(?) Windows XP still dominates the business/enterprise world, and they are significantly slower at upgrading than the common consumer. Hell, even the White House still runs Windows XP.[/citation]

i got windows 7 for 30$, i hate it. but its not my computer, and i can put xp on my own, so all good.

i go into why i hate 7 every time i say it, and apparently no one understands why i hate every aspect of 7's ui... apparently im alone on that.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i got windows 7 for 30$, i hate it. but its not my computer, and i can put xp on my own, so all good. i go into why i hate 7 every time i say it, and apparently no one understands why i hate every aspect of 7's ui... apparently im alone on that.[/citation]

i hate xp with a passion its so ancient and no matter how much hardware you give it it never improves performance, sticks at the same spots for no reason, looks boring and the things i *NEED* it *CANNOT* do

hows about using 7 for more then 5 minutes on a NEW computer not something from 2002

i would even take Vista over XP there really wasnt anything wrong with it, its nearly the same as 7 afterall (internally)...

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Windows XP users can still use iTunes, and benefit from iCloud while on iPhone, iPod, and iPad. It's not a deal breaker.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I have about 2 legit copies of windows Vista and 2 legit Copies of Windows 7. I still have XP on one of my older machines not because of cost because of compatibility. Its and old $5000 pentium 4 laptop and it can only take one gig of ram. And only linux runs better than XP w 1 gig.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i got windows 7 for 30$, i hate it. but its not my computer, and i can put xp on my own, so all good. i go into why i hate 7 every time i say it, and apparently no one understands why i hate every aspect of 7's ui... apparently im alone on that.[/citation]
I was one of those that hated the Win 7 UI at first as well. Now that I have become accustomed to the Win 7 UI through using it at work and on other people's machines, I am currently use the default Win 7 UI at home, and like it. But it took me awhile.

Since I work for a University, I've gotten copies of both Windows and Mac OS X (yes, I use Macs too), as well as Office, VB Studio, iWork, Final Cut Pro, etc. all for free. And I know many other people, especially on Tom's, that have managed to get massive discounts on software from other sources as well.

But the point is, when some random John Doe walks into Best Buy, they can buy Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard for $29.00, period.
They walk into the Windows isle and they are likely to see 5 different versions of Windows 7, and each version has an Retail version, a Family Pack, and Upgrade Family Pack, an System Builder, a 64-bit version, a 32-bit version, a this, a that, blah blah blah, ALL for $80 or more.
To the computer illiterate, that is overwhelming. And it isn't like the employees at Best Buy will actually be able to help them pick the right version either.

Basically, it is WAY too difficult to upgrade Windows, so most people won't even try and they will just wait until they buy a new computer. On top of this, businesses won't upgrade their Windows XP machines because it is too expensive, can become very complicated, and takes too much time. So Microsoft has dug itself into a hole, and now it is stuck supporting an OS they don't want to support.

At the University, we have had Windows 7 since the RTM date almost 2 years ago now, and we started upgrading machines pretty much immediately. Yet we just recently passed the 50% mark on the upgrade process. For our Mac machines, we are at the 100% mark and have been for over a year now. Granted we have more Windows machines than Macs (about a 60%/40% Win/Mac ratio), but still.

Don't get me wrong, I love Windows more than Mac OS, but Microsoft didn't make supporting Windows a walk on the beach.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
@Ragnar-Kon

[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]when some random John Doe walks into Best Buy[/citation]

I just found the problem!

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I whole heartedly applaud this. First Google drop support for IE7 and now Apple doing the same for XP. People really need to move on. Windows XP really is antiquated and it will take you all of 5 minutes to learn your way around Windows 7. Well done Apple for nudging along the luddites among us (although I will never switch to a Mac, it does seem to be gaining a bit of traction with the masses).

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Basically, it is WAY too difficult to upgrade Windows, so most people won't even try and they will just wait until they buy a new computer. On top of this, businesses won't upgrade their Windows XP machines because it is too expensive, can become very complicated, and takes too much time.[/citation]

I beg to differ, my old grandma even managed to get her old xp installation upgraded to win7 herself and she is 82 years old! If she can do it so can anyone else. The company i work at are in the progress to mitigate from the old xp to win7 and its progressing rapidly and without any notable issues so far, if the IT staff know 1/2 their jobb there should not be any major issues.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I was one of those that hated the Win 7 UI at first as well. Now that I have become accustomed to the Win 7 UI through using it at work and on other people's machines, I am currently use the default Win 7 UI at home, and like it. But it took me awhile.Since I work for a University, I've gotten copies of both Windows and Mac OS X (yes, I use Macs too), as well as Office, VB Studio, iWork, Final Cut Pro, etc. all for free. And I know many other people, especially on Tom's, that have managed to get massive discounts on software from other sources as well.But the point is, when some random John Doe walks into Best Buy, they can buy Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard for $29.00, period.They walk into the Windows isle and they are likely to see 5 different versions of Windows 7, and each version has an Retail version, a Family Pack, and Upgrade Family Pack, an System Builder, a 64-bit version, a 32-bit version, a this, a that, blah blah blah, ALL for $80 or more.To the computer illiterate, that is overwhelming. And it isn't like the employees at Best Buy will actually be able to help them pick the right version either.Basically, it is WAY too difficult to upgrade Windows, so most people won't even try and they will just wait until they buy a new computer. On top of this, businesses won't upgrade their Windows XP machines because it is too expensive, can become very complicated, and takes too much time. So Microsoft has dug itself into a hole, and now it is stuck supporting an OS they don't want to support.At the University, we have had Windows 7 since the RTM date almost 2 years ago now, and we started upgrading machines pretty much immediately. Yet we just recently passed the 50% mark on the upgrade process. For our Mac machines, we are at the 100% mark and have been for over a year now. Granted we have more Windows machines than Macs (about a 60%/40% Win/Mac ratio), but still.Don't get me wrong, I love Windows more than Mac OS, but Microsoft didn't make supporting Windows a walk on the beach.[/citation]

I'm sorry, but you have to have a certain version of OSX to upgrade to the new version which means a load of people are out of luck.. typical Apple way of ensuring that older stuff gets stuffed.

As for upgrading or changing to Windows: Most big companies use the same kit and will thus create an image to refresh the machines. Here, we jumped onto ebay and purchased an initial 10x Dell core 2 machines, fitted a few with the smallest SSD drives i could find (with Trim) and installed Windows 7. The ONLY legacy thing that needed IE6 (M&S as it happens) is covered by the Windows XP mode.

It is EASY for companies to move to Windows 7.

netbanshee

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I tried to use mac machines but the need to buy new hardware to support a new OS was absurd. I still run WinXP with none of the upgrade BS inherent with apple.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
If they can afford an ipad then surely they would of upgraded their PC/laptop in the last few years. Isn't the majority of xp users based in china? Ill see if I can hunt that report out.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
...still work on Windows XP from the previous decade.

Are you sure they don't require Service Pack 3 to run ?
Because according to Microsoft it came out on Apr. 21, 2008.

Edit: iTunes requirement (from the Apple website) says SP2 or later.

Anyway, I hope they don't chuck support for WinXP. Apple has no love for Linux and the only way I can sync my iPod touch on my favourite distro is with VirtualBox and a slimmed-down version called TinyXP. I would seriously be pissed if I had to repartition my HDD to make room for Windows 7 (15 GB instead of a 2 GB .vdi file) and dual boot just to sync my friggn iPod !

G

It's times like this I'm glad I don't use Windows or iTunes lol. I help a lot of people with these products but can't understand why they have to use them. Life is so much easier when you use open standards ;-D Amarok and Linux FTW! All I had to do when I got my Adroid phone was to copy my music to my sd-card with the play-lists and BAM finished. Let's see you do that with iTunes and Windows lmoa!

Status
Not open for further replies.