Apple TV slows internet down when on

cluedude2210

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Okay, so every time someone in my family turns on our Apple TV (4th gen) everybody’s internet speed plummets. Anywhere in the house.. No matter if it’s streaming or just on at the home screen. We have 250mbps (mega bits) internet and a decent router. The Apple TV is wired via Ethernet. And I can’t find a solution.. Thanks in advance :D

Solution
have you tried the apple tv with wifi?

it may somehow be sucking a ton of bandwidth through ethernet just because it can. though it should not behave this way, it's the first thing i'd try if it was my house. perhaps it'll only use the normal bit on wifi.

10-15 mb/s is about all a normal stream should use at the high end so plenty should be left for the rest of the house.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
have you tried the apple tv with wifi?

it may somehow be sucking a ton of bandwidth through ethernet just because it can. though it should not behave this way, it's the first thing i'd try if it was my house. perhaps it'll only use the normal bit on wifi.

10-15 mb/s is about all a normal stream should use at the high end so plenty should be left for the rest of the house.

Solution

cluedude2210

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Thanks so much, it worked! I don’t know why I didn’t think of that.. It’s always helpful to have another mind :D