Apple Unveils 17" MacBook Pro

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

well at least they're not lying on its power consumption. The commercials state it takes "1/3 the power of a lightbulb" Physically impossible with current PSUs at 70-85% efficiency, CPUS with 100-170TDP lol. Atleast MacWorld doesn't like about most of the shit like Apple does. Hope Hand Jobs dies soon so Crapple can finally die.

jabberwolf

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
"In my work where I need to support OSX and Windows, this looks like an optimal machine for me, and the graphics and CPU are fast enough to do 3DSMAX work as well as Final Cut Pro and Shake. All that in a slim and light notebook is a winner for me."

Um why not then use Sony's FW series maxed out at 2800 with everything above and beyond Apple's BASE 2799? And you could use 3DS Max, and CS3 in 64 bit mode on Vista 64, at the same time with 8gb ram ? All that with a faster GPU!

Just saying if you were a professional, you'd know something simply like that.

And the battery? There is NO NEW TECHNOLOGY. At least not chemically anyway. It's simply battery management and turns things on and off when not using them. 8 hours equals almost no use!

jabberwolf

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
"Like Anthony said, it's 2799$, not 5000$. That's a 2201$ right there"

Why dont you actually price it out?
2799 is the base price for the features. Go to Apple's site, go on dont be so dammed lazy and THEN come back and grovel. Its tiring telling the mac fanatics the truth, when they are too lazy to look things up themselves!

As for comparing it to the DELL XPS, try the Studio. It has faster Bus speed, the same type of CPU, and I was able to max it the options out to about 1800 bucks. ( has option for raid drives but didnt chose this).

The dell XPS now is the brick but has the option for much higher GPU's.

Id still prefer the Sony FW series to compare to the iMac as it completely maxed out is the same price as the base 17" iMac. And it can go up to 8gb ram.

well at least they're not lying on its power consumption. The commercials state it takes "1/3 the power of a lightbulb" Physically impossible with current PSUs at 70-85% efficiency, CPUS with 100-170TDP lol. Atleast MacWorld doesn't like about most of the **** like Apple does. Hope Hand Jobs dies soon so Crapple can finally die.
It should be EASY for that(or any) laptop to run within a 1/3rd light bulb power envelope. Take a 100 watt light bulb. Now take my server(old hardware[A64 3200+(89watt), 1gig of memory, dual 500gig and 120gig drives geforce4 MX440(saved me close to 25 watts over the ti4200) and SB Live!] used for file storage and tv recording) about 75 watts from the wall(Idle). My laptop with almost the same hardware(A64 3000(89watt), 60gig drive, 512mb of ram, geforce4 mx440, 15.4 inch screen). 29 watts and 22 with the screen closed. That may well be the ONLY honest thing Apple has EVER said in there life.

G

I think what people don't understand when trying to compare mac laptops to PC laptops are these few components.
Built in bluetooth, gigabit ethernet, back lit keyboard, built in webcam with mic, optical surround output, multitouch trackpad (huge trackpad at that, screw using a mouse, no need, this includes FPSs and all on a mac). Built in firewire 800, dvi support.
As well as features like small body design, light weight, portability, mag-safe power adaptor

-Bluetooth is standard on many Acer units. nothing special there.
-Gigabit Ethernet is another standard component.
-Backlit keyboards are nothing new either(ask Dell).
-Almost all laptops now are including a webcam(useless if you ask me)
-Even 3 and 4 year old laptops have digital and optical audio out.
-Multi touch is cool(and has been used military and large business for some time), it will take off much more with the release of Windows 7. Apple DID give this the right push. I have yet to see any track pad good enough for fps even less so with the location.
-Firewire is great, but it never did catch on enough. Most things went USB even tho it was slower it was still fast enough. When you practically invent something you tend to keep it on as many of your systems as you can.
-DVI support has been on many notebooks for some time. Once again, nothing special here.
-Light weight ect are great features, but for some the cost will be too high. I am NOT saying there is not place for Apples products, but if they would market the extra's you mention and not just bash on Microsoft then maybe they would have more users buying for the right reasons.

Anthony20022

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Why dont you actually price it out?
2799 is the base price for the features. Go to Apple's site, go on dont be so dammed lazy and THEN come back and grovel. Its tiring telling the mac fanatics the truth, when they are too lazy to look things up themselves!

Why should I do that? The base model is a perfectly capable computer. The only upgrades are 2.66->2.93GHz, 4GB->8GB, and some HDD/SDD options. How many people actually BTO the most expensive possible configuration? And who would pay Apple's exorbitant RAM prices rather than upgrading later? The dell I configured was comparable to the base model MBP. Why is it so expensive? Is it just the XPS logo?

pcmark

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I am not an Apple fan, but my brother in law has one of these new machines, and he loves it. Quite capable, I understand. I will have to come down on the side of people claiming that apple gouges for updates and repairs. I recently replaced my wife's Gateway keyboard. Price: $15. My nephew needs a new keyboard for his Apple Powerbook. Price: $85. (and considerably more effort involved in the replacement, though it still isn't that bad. Also, typical 8-cell battery prices for PC's is about $100. Nearly double that for an Apple. You can add another $100 labor if you are not comfortable dismantling the machine to do the replacement yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.