Apple Will Not Confirm or Deny Malware Infection

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]smfrazz[/nom]I can say YES. Microsoft has fixed situations caused my virus/malware/trojans...because many times those nasties cause problems that first need to be identified as being caused by such problems. Then they suggest using an anti-virus program and even provide one free of charge. In fact Microsoft is one of the companies at the FOREFRONT of fighting such attacks from viruses, BOTs, WORMS, SPAM etc. What does Apple do?...Hide the fact thier systems are just as vulnerable...in some case more so due to ingnorance of their users.[/citation]

that's not true. Apple has done a lot to combat malicious software by completely controlling the user experience. They steal features from linux/BSD whenever they feel their OS isn't sufficient when it comes to security.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Ahahahahahahahaha

Dude, people buy macs because it has a cookie cutter interface that a four year old could figure out. Because seriously - right click was too hard to figure out until a few years ago.

And now Apple expects their users to figure out how to remove viruses on their own? Sweet, I may be seeing the downfall of Apple.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]macewrox[/nom]AhahahahahahahahaDude, people buy macs because it has a cookie cutter interface that a four year old could figure out. Because seriously - right click was too hard to figure out until a few years ago.And now Apple expects their users to figure out how to remove viruses on their own? Sweet, I may be seeing the downfall of Apple.[/citation]

You hit the nail on the head. Once Apple allowed for OEM multi-button mouses, it was all down hill from there...

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Has Microsoft, Dell or HP ever "officially" helped a customer remove a virus? Do you ask Western Digital or Seagate for help in removing the nasties on the hard drive that they sold you? This is outside of the scope of vendor support. End user tech support is meant to deal with this (you know, Geek Squad). Apple's response to this malware is simply in line with their support policy, which in this case is much the same as any other vendor's policy.[/citation]

Actually yes Microsoft does and has helped with the tools and information to remove these things. Also they dont try and hide it like a responsible company shouldn't. While geek squad might do the actual work thats kinda not relevant

[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]This thing is NOT a virus. It's just an installer package that's automatically downloaded. It requires the user to do 2-3clicks and actually TYPE IN HIS PASSWORD before it installs.Whoever is that stupid deserves it.[/citation]

I'm kinda tired of the idiots that say that linux is so secure nothing can infect it. and make this excuse up after saying the user isn't at fault if an os gets compromised. It really doesn't matter what hoops you have to jump through or how many are there once the user says ok to it. Its the users fault. Mac, pc, linux it doesn't matter none are secure just some make you jump through a few more hoops to get infected. Besides a lot of viruses are in installers don't make excuses for it just accept it.

[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]I can pick any ignition lock from any manufacture in the matter of minutes. and no I'm not a lock smith, you just need to know how lock and the tool works. so what's your point ? b4 u say it, I don't own a Honda.[/citation]

his point was as simple as yours.. its not as secure as its said to be. Same goes for linux. If it can get out of that .4% market share it has and can get a user base it will get frapped and whipped the same.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Apple care is for when your mac breaks, which I was told by an Apple associate once, never happens, and therefore, is just to make you feel good.

While my comment sounds sarcastic, I was once actually told by an Apple associate at Best Buy once, while I was doing a research project for a university, that 'Macs don't break'. I proceed to ask him why he (an APPLE SUPPORT TECH) needed to even BE there... He ignored me...

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Apple user: Hey AppleCare, I think my Mac is broken.
AppleCare: Looks like the graphics card is toast.
Apple user: No big deal, I can just buy another off like Amazon and swap it right?
AppleCare: No. I can replace it for a meager 700$ though. No big deal.
Apple user: But a GTX 590 for a PC is like, 700$. And that's the best graphics card out. This Mac is like four years old.
AppleCare: Yeah yeah don't worry about it. Just give me your Mac and your 700$ and go play with your legos.
Apple user: Oh, okay.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
[citation][nom]macewrox[/nom]Apple user: Hey AppleCare, I think my Mac is broken.AppleCare: Looks like the graphics card is toast.Apple user: No big deal, I can just buy another off like Amazon and swap it right?AppleCare: No. I can replace it for a meager 700$ though. No big deal.Apple user: But a GTX 590 for a PC is like, 700$. And that's the best graphics card out. This Mac is like four years old.AppleCare: Yeah yeah don't worry about it. Just give me your Mac and your 700$ and go play with your legos.Apple user: Oh, okay.[/citation]

This is a true story, by the way.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]This thing is NOT a virus. It's just an installer package that's automatically downloaded. It requires the user to do 2-3clicks and actually TYPE IN HIS PASSWORD before it installs.Whoever is that stupid deserves it.[/citation]
Like almost all malware on windows 7 and vista. The only exception is that windows doesn't ask for the password, but I do get a confirmation.
Virus are basically non existing nowadays.

gurboura

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Hello Apple,

We wanted to welcome you to the big boys club. After entering this club, you are not eligible for malware and other infections, which you might have noticed with your recent "Mac Defender" and "Apple Security" concerns. After awhile, you get used to it. Enjoy your stay.

With your growing numbers, you are becoming more of a target for those that seem to think developing malware, ad-ware, viruses and other bad stuff. We've been in this situation for years now, and have become used to this. If you ever feel overwhelmed, please, let us know and we'll help as much as possible.

Oh, by the way, we've also included instructions on how to properly keep your customers up to date with security patches, we've noticed you've been slacking, but don't worry, we won't tell anyone.

Yours truly,
Microsoft.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Remember the Apple TV spots from a couple of years ago??...The "kewl" hipster (obvious Apple user type) (mid 20s) in the trendy clothes and the awkward chubby nerdy guy (mid 30s PC user) in the slightly ill fitting grey suit? Yeah that PC user might be a bit awkward compared to the hipster BUT guess which one can keep his computer up and running and who do all the clueless trendies come to when they need help with their computer?

Yep, Apple had it coming. The arrogance of this company is truly astounding, but then again I guess when you think your stuff don't stink and the cult around you thinks you can do no wrong is it surprising?

I'm thankful I'm a PC....

yose3

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
LMAOO this is the time when apple user are starting to understand that just because it say "apple" ir doesnt mean they are safe lol

And yes im a PC
i run AVG anti virus freee edition
i got window 7

and i havent got a single virus thank you ;)

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Has Microsoft, Dell or HP ever "officially" helped a customer remove a virus? [/citation]

um.. Doesn't the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool count?

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
ANY Microsoft user with a infection on their system can call for assistance with removal for FREE. (except for toll charges if any)

NO question that MS DOES care about the customer when it really counts.

[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]"The reason for the rule, they say, is that even though Mac Defender is easy to remove, we can’t set the expectation to customers that we will be able to remove all malware in the future. That’s what antivirus is for."Well said.[/citation]

does anyone really know if one of the very few virus scanner for macs actually work?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]does anyone really know if one of the very few virus scanner for macs actually work?[/citation]
they don't work very well, for example, doownload a few mac RAT trojans, then use a mac specific virus scanner, you are highly likely to see that all of the files come out clean

Most companies that focus on making virus definitions, focus mostly on windows infections, and very few resources get put towards the mac so if a new trojan or virus is created, it can take weeks before they update the scanner to detect it, and if the infection goes around slowly, it can take months before the scanner is updated to detect it.

keeping a virus scan up to date is difficult, no virus scan on earth is able to be truly current or through. Keeping them up to date requires a lot of man power or community support. This is why being smart with what you do online is more important then having any kind of security software.

If you rely on security software to protect you, you will get infected.
Most MAC users rely on the OS to keep them safe.

Even smaller scale services for example, valve anti cheat, or punk buster
it takes them months to do anything about a cheat

eg, there is a multi hack for team fortress 2 that has been out for over a year and still works. me and many other people have reported it to VAC and even provided download links to it (we did the leg work for them)

that was about 5 months ago, the cheat is still widely used and has not been updated and is still not detected by VAC

Most companies providing software to protect you, are slow to react to new threats. The most important security tool is your brain, use it to keep your self safe.

[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]they don't work very well, for example, doownload a few mac RAT trojans, then use a mac specific virus scanner, you are highly likely to see that all of the files come out cleanMost companies that focus on making virus definitions, focus mostly on windows infections, and very few resources get put towards the mac so if a new trojan or virus is created, it can take weeks before they update the scanner to detect it, and if the infection goes around slowly, it can take months before the scanner is updated to detect it.keeping a virus scan up to date is difficult, no virus scan on earth is able to be truly current or through. Keeping them up to date requires a lot of man power or community support. This is why being smart with what you do online is more important then having any kind of security software.If you rely on security software to protect you, you will get infected.Most MAC users rely on the OS to keep them safe.Even smaller scale services for example, valve anti cheat, or punk busterit takes them months to do anything about a cheateg, there is a multi hack for team fortress 2 that has been out for over a year and still works. me and many other people have reported it to VAC and even provided download links to it (we did the leg work for them)that was about 5 months ago, the cheat is still widely used and has not been updated and is still not detected by VACMost companies providing software to protect you, are slow to react to new threats. The most important security tool is your brain, use it to keep your self safe.[/citation]

I'm not sure why you are talking about cheats and viruses together.

G

I work in a computer repair shop. Saw my first Mac Defender first hand last week. Every tech in the shop huddled around the iMac when we heard it was infected.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
When infections increase and more malware get involved and when things get out of control, only then Apple will confirm the malware infections and will be forced to take action.
So is this what Apple is waiting for?

[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Name one thing Apple doesn't allow the user to do that "high tech people" do.[/citation]

Oh I don't know, lets see..... build a customizable PC with every part YOU want that runs Mac OSX legally. Thats a pretty big one that I do that I cannot do with a Mac.

Its happening just as I said too. Once Mac gets big enough, there will be viruses. Even though its based on Linux, I love how Apple uses a open source OS and charges for it BTW, there will be holes. And those holes will be exploited. And the masses will complain to Apple who will in return, say go away.

There is no such thing as perfect in this world, even Linux. If Linux was big enough it too would have malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.