Apple's Got a Little More to Show You

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodegg

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
[citation][nom]hate machine[/nom]Hai guyz! Lets take a Hybrid drive and separate the components then call it a Fusion drive instead and claim its revolutionary. The drones will eat it up![/citation]

Please point me to the existing hybrid drive with 128GB of flash and the software embedded in it to automatically move applications to flash storage for better performance.

Nothing Apple does is every brand new. However, they make stuff using ideas that aren't working well or selling well, and those products work well and sell well. And then it becomes an industry standard.

Like the new iMac with no optical drive. They were the first company to sell computers with no floppy drive. The industry laughed. And in 5 years, the optical drive will be gone from all laptops and most desktops. That's a lock.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]hate machine[/nom]Still no new numbers about how many more iPhone 5s sold? Looks like more Wallstreet disappointment.[/citation]
kind of hard to sell something you can't produce because your work force making it is protesting like a major strike and your supplier is trying to unload you like a bad expense that just won't go away.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]goodegg[/nom]Please point me to the existing hybrid drive with 128GB of flash and the software embedded in it to automatically move applications to flash storage for better performance.Nothing Apple does is every brand new. However, they make stuff using ideas that aren't working well or selling well, and those products work well and sell well. And then it becomes an industry standard.Like the new iMac with no optical drive. They were the first company to sell computers with no floppy drive. The industry laughed. And in 5 years, the optical drive will be gone from all laptops and most desktops. That's a lock.[/citation]

OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid, 1 TB HDD with 120 GB SSD on it. Also all the hybrid drives that the HDD makers produce cache the most used apps... so they are managed automatically and added to the SSD portion of the drive for faster loading. Also it all shows up as one drive. Again this is something that has been out and is already being used and already work well.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]hate machine[/nom]OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid, 1 TB HDD with 120 GB SSD on it. Also all the hybrid drives that the HDD makers produce cache the most used apps... so they are managed automatically and added to the SSD portion of the drive for faster loading. Also it all shows up as one drive. Again this is something that has been out and is already being used and already work well.[/citation]

...AND Intel offers the software to turn any SSD combined with any HDD into a "Hybrid Drive" using the ICH controller (I believe starting with ICH10).

Hybrid drives have been around for about two years now, Intel's software has been at least a year.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
the Ipad mini would have been much better if they were sold @ $249. Ipad4 is the interesting one. At least the best Apple product is ipad. Everything else u can get better alternative.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]"Macs are simply PCs with Mac OS X in them. That's like calling a Linux PC a..."Linux" or something equally daft."Macs were called Macs long before they shared the same CPU architecture... I suppose we should just call Deep Blue a "big PC".[/citation]
That made sense when Mac used a different architecture from PCs but right now they are pretty much identical to PCs and can even run Windows so they are just PCs with OSX on them. They are called Macs cause Apple doesn't want anyone to think of them as what they really are, PCs.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]"Macs are simply PCs with Mac OS X in them. That's like calling a Linux PC a..."Linux" or something equally daft."Macs were called Macs long before they shared the same CPU architecture... I suppose we should just call Deep Blue a "big PC".[/citation]
I know, but i'm talking about NOW when they have the same arch. I said, it sounds funny comparing them in a Mac vs PC way. Or saying you sold more macs than PCs because both ways PCs were sold.

And if Deep Blue ran on x86, i suppose you could. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.