Apple's In-car Infotainment System is Only for iPhone Users

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorfmaster1

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Its probably for those types that are in the habit of replacing all their equipment every 2 years due to cut off support. Maybe those car manufactures will try the same crap as Apple and loose all credibility like Apple has to anyone who isn't just buying the stuff to try to stay with the trend of the common douche bag.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Ummmm, you would really have to be very clueless to install such a proprietary device in a car that you might want to sell down the line. And iPhone users might actually want to change to a much more open and technologically advanced platform in the future, but they are stuck with Apple and its jailamoron walled in garden.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Sorry about the triple comment, but I was using a Chromebook and posting using Google Chrome. There seems to be a glitch that makes you believe your article has not been posted....

They wont as Ford has an exclusive with Microsoft for Sync. Plus the car brands mentioned are mostly smaller ones that cater to specific markets of people, Ford is more of an every person company (always has been as Henry Ford set out to make a car everyone could afford) so they wont alienate a large portion of their market with proprietary systems only one phone will work for.

It happens and is taken care of.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"What's interesting is that Apple doesn't seem to be leveraging CarPlay as a way to grow its iPhone user base. Instead, the company is catering exclusively to iPhone users."Apple IS leveraging CarPlay to grow its user base. No iPhone, CarPlay no function.
I think Apple has decided that they have lost the battle with Android as it clearly has more registered phones and more tablets users. So likely their strategy is to keep the itards they have corralled into Apple's handyourwallet walled garden. Were it not for for the billions of dollars in shares buyback Apple has put in place of recent, their stock would have gone down a lot more than it has already gone down for the year.I am not fan of Android, Google, or Microsoft, but certainly favor their open standards. Apple is a company that thrives on exploiting its gullible technologically illiterate fan base and surely they figure they will manage to extract some more cash from the sheeple they have already corralled. On a more upbeat note, I respect Apple for not calling their CarPlay iCarPlay. And I hope they don't come up with the idea of putting their logo on the windshield of cars with CarPlay. As its stands now the Apple logo has become synonymous with technological retards, and desperate techmorons seeking to look trendy.

websterhamster

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
So I would have to buy an iPhone just to use GPS in my Volvo? I can't imagine any car company going along with this; then again, those Europeans are crazy.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

None of these people are stupid. It will obviously be a package option - not on all models.

As someone already committed to the iOS platform, I hope someone sells a freestanding one that can be installed in older vehicles.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

Typical response from this dork. He goes off at the mouth without anything intelligent to contribute. Can't stand the fact that some people like stuff other than what he likes. I like the iPhone, but I like the Windows Phone better. Android is a no go for me. Way too much fragmentation, and so insecure it's not even funny. Who in their proper mind thinks it's OK to have to run AV on their phone.

uncoveror

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
"Infotainment" means the garbage the idiot box tries to pass of as news, not my car stereo with GPS and a speakerphone tacked on. Stop trying to rehabilitate a word that is meant as an insult!

Status
Not open for further replies.