Apple's iOS 6.1.3 Will Fix Lock Screen Security Flaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Oh my! I guess Apple is the only one that has security problems. How many updates to "Windows 8" already to fix security problems? Google fixes security problems in Android with each new release too. Of course the problem with Android is your phone manufacturer won't give you the update if you have an older phone so you are stuck unless you upgrade! Just had a big problem with Java and the first update Oracle pushed out didn't fix the problem. Hackers will find security holes, it is going to happen reguardless of what OS you are using.

G

Apple has had the heyday of "it just works" and now users are experiencing doses of "oh wait it doesn't" in multiple ways. Not saying everyone else has done the job perfectly but the surety of Apple devices is evaporating.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]Oh my! I guess Apple is the only one that has security problems. How many updates to "Windows 8" already to fix security problems? Google fixes security problems in Android with each new release too. Of course the problem with Android is your phone manufacturer won't give you the update if you have an older phone so you are stuck unless you upgrade! Just had a big problem with Java and the first update Oracle pushed out didn't fix the problem. Hackers will find security holes, it is going to happen reguardless of what OS you are using.[/citation]

As above... please don't even TRY to defend Apple. You don't see MS spouting 'we're perfect' every other second. Magical, it just works, revolutionary... my arse.

[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]... I guess Apple is the only one that has security problems. How many updates to "Windows 8" already to fix security problems? ...[/citation]
Complex code written by humans is prone to contain vulnerabilities at some level. I would rather have the patches from Microsoft, as they tend to be better quality controlled, and at least the company is reasonably straight-forward about security. Patches show an ongoing support system within a company for their product. How many years old is Windows XP, and yet, it still receives occasional patches. Does the original iPhone or even iPhone 3G get updates anymore, despite being similar in age to Vista? Have you ever heard of an individual gaining unauthorized access to a Windows machine by performing the right sequence of events, without external means? Personally, I find it absurd such a security failure is even possible.

Attitude goes a long way. It wasn't all that long ago that Apple was allowing drive-by downloads to infect Windows machines through their software updater. They didn't seem very eager to issue a fix for that at the time. Has Apple's attitude really changed a whole lot since then?

[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]Oh my! I guess Apple is the only one that has security problems. How many updates to "Windows 8" already to fix security problems? Google fixes security problems in Android with each new release too. Of course the problem with Android is your phone manufacturer won't give you the update if you have an older phone so you are stuck unless you upgrade! Just had a big problem with Java and the first update Oracle pushed out didn't fix the problem. Hackers will find security holes, it is going to happen reguardless of what OS you are using.[/citation]
Obviously, you don't understand how Android OS is released. There is first a AOSP version, released by Google. That gets taken (for free) by manufacturers and morphed into an entirely different OS, that is only "Android-based". Whatever the manufacturer puts out is not the Android that Google put out, but a mix of AOSP code and their own proprietary code, some of which gets released under GPL terms (kernel), some of which remains private (skin integration, drivers, etc.).
The Nexus line is the closest to AOSP as you can get, but is not ONLY that, either.

If you know how to use Google you can fins a video made by the xda-developer Azrienoch where he explains this at length. I believe the video is called "debunking 5 myths of Android" or something like that.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Apple: "IT JUST WORKS"(if you're lucky)
Wait didn't Apple patent slide to unlock?
If they were REALLY the inventors and everyone else copied off of of Apple, why hasn't Apple got it right yet and why isn't it broken for everyone else as well?
Well at least Apple got the kernel right!
Oh wait, they didn't!
Someone else wrote unix for them!

[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]Apple: "IT JUST WORKS"(if you're lucky)Wait didn't Apple patent slide to unlock? If they were REALLY the inventors and everyone else copied off of of Apple, why hasn't Apple got it right yet and why isn't it broken for everyone else as well?Well at least Apple got the kernel right!Oh wait, they didn't!Someone else wrote unix for them![/citation]

Apple writes their own kernels. They are also based on FreeBSD, not a direct copy of original UNIX. If you're going to mock Apple, then please stick to the facts in doing so.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Apple writes their own kernels. They are also based on FreeBSD, not a direct copy of original UNIX. If you're going to mock Apple, then please stick to the facts in doing so.[/citation]
FreeBSD is actually a branch of Unix, well, at least it was considered a branch in its infancy.
The fact that Apple uses FreeBSD as its kernel just shows they don't write it. They may tweak and tune it, but they don't WRITE it. Apple has never ground up written their own kernel.
Then again, Windows NT was pretty much a flat out theft of VMS (VAX) or else MS wouldn't have forked over nearly half a billion for "continued development and advancement of VMS" and training for VMS techs.

[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]FreeBSD is actually a branch of Unix, well, at least it was considered a branch in its infancy.The fact that Apple uses FreeBSD as its kernel just shows they don't write it. They may tweak and tune it, but they don't WRITE it. Apple has never ground up written their own kernel.Then again, Windows NT was pretty much a flat out theft of VMS (VAX) or else MS wouldn't have forked over nearly half a billion for "continued development and advancement of VMS" and training for VMS techs.[/citation]

Actually, Apple does write their own kernel. It may be directly based on FreeBSD's kernel, but it is their own and they do write it. They own it IIRC.

BSD was a fork of UNIX, but it and FreeBSD are not UNIX directly these days, nor is Apple's OSX. It is quite similar in some ways, but very different in others. For example, it's far less secure from malware and hackers ;)

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Actually, Apple does write their own kernel. It may be directly based on FreeBSD's kernel, but it is their own and they do write it. They own it IIRC.BSD was a fork of UNIX, but it and FreeBSD are not UNIX directly these days, nor is Apple's OSX. It is quite similar in some ways, but very different in others. For example, it's far less secure from malware and hackers[/citation]
So since Apple bought some code and integrated it with free code they write their own kernel? They didn't write a kernel, they merged parts of one with another. Grant it, its close to writing a kernel but the fact remains they most certainly did not write their own kernel even if they did rename "their" kernel darwin.
Since "their kernel" for iOS and OSX is a modified version of FreeBSD, it is subject to terms of the GNU Public License. While they distribute the kernel as binaries for OSX, they don't for iOS, so basically they're not only charging for a free OS but breaking the terms of its license as well. Google has ASOP to satisfy the GNUPL, so I can't poke at them for making their software closed. But, because Apple spits in the face of the GNUPL I'm more than happy to call the kettle black and point out thieves when I see them, and just think, Apple slams Android as the pirate platform! What a disgrace!
FreeBSD started off as Berkley Unix, it might have evolved past that once AT&T went on patent lockdown, but its still a Unix clone, owes its roots to Unix and still is mostly thought of as Unix to this day.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]As above... please don't even TRY to defend Apple. You don't see MS spouting 'we're perfect' every other second. Magical, it just works, revolutionary... my arse.[/citation]

LOL, why do android people keep saying "Apple says they are perfect"? I have yet to see any company say their product isn't perfect. Samsung, Sony, Google, all of them do.

P.S. It took Google 4 months to fix the last batch of bugs on my device, it's taking Apple a week...

[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]So since Apple bought some code and integrated it with free code they write their own kernel? They didn't write a kernel, they merged parts of one with another. Grant it, its close to writing a kernel but the fact remains they most certainly did not write their own kernel even if they did rename "their" kernel darwin.Since "their kernel" for iOS and OSX is a modified version of FreeBSD, it is subject to terms of the GNU Public License. While they distribute the kernel as binaries for OSX, they don't for iOS, so basically they're not only charging for a free OS but breaking the terms of its license as well. Google has ASOP to satisfy the GNUPL, so I can't poke at them for making their software closed. But, because Apple spits in the face of the GNUPL I'm more than happy to call the kettle black and point out thieves when I see them, and just think, Apple slams Android as the pirate platform! What a disgrace!FreeBSD started off as Berkley Unix, it might have evolved past that once AT&T went on patent lockdown, but its still a Unix clone, owes its roots to Unix and still is mostly thought of as Unix to this day.[/citation]

And more B.S... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

xoxo

iSheep

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS