Apple's iOS 7 May Be Delayed Due to Redesign

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

I see what you're trying to imply there ;)

4.2.2 is the current version so 11 if you count 1.5 (cupcake was for devs).

iOS has gone through quite a few more since launch but it's at 6.1.3 - (That's what is installed on my mom's 4 year old 3GS as well as my 5, BTW - How many Android phones that are 4 years old have an OS update? (without root of course))

Key Lime Pie is also delayed, we're getting 4.3 at Google IO so everyone (lazy manufacturers) can catch up, currently Android 2.x is the most prolific version at ~29% Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

But more to your point: If you actually owned an Apple product over the last few years, you'd realize, the UI has been updated as much as Android OS. I own both so I can make that comparison.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Haha... I think you missed the point sundragon... He was implying that apple has released several versions and little has changed. Android has made lots of changes between major releases... Apple has just been releasing some-what update-ish versions.
It has been nice to see apple integrating jail broken features... really innovative.. android does it, then jail breakers do it for apple, then apple does it...
Also, does you mom like using Siri?

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

I totally got the point : )

1. iOS has quite a few updates to the interface, would you like me to list them and link to wikipedia as proof? Moreover, have you owned the Iphone 3, 4, 5 to see what's been changed? Probably a no : )

2. Siri doesn't work on on the 3GS, but the numerous security fixes and bug fixes all do, without lag. OS updates aren't only about features they are about security fixes and bug fixes (which are arguably as important)

3. Does your 4 year old, much less 2 year old Android handset work with Googles voice search? Yup, that's a no (unless you root) : )

Does your 2, 3, 4 year old Android handset get any of the 4.2.2 security and bug fixes from your manufacturer, as there have been quite a few? Yup, that's a No as well. (unless you rooted)

I can list the with a link to Google's dev site so you can read how many issues have been patched between 2.x, 3.x, and 4.x.

: )

Creative criticism about jailbreaking features is valid - I don't argue that but you gotta own that no matter what version of Android comes out, no one gets the updates unless they root, own a Google device or forced to buy a new phone from a top manufacturer - which is a big deal because most people on the planet aren't techy enough to root - I rooted mine and all my friends because they didn't know how.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

You make it sound like lots of UI updates is a good thing. I for one hated the way Microsoft revamped Office every couple of years and actually made it worse ditching menus and toolbars for ribbon controls. For this reason I still use a 10 year old version of Office. If you have a good UI that works well and looks good why would it need updating? Android needed updating because for a long time it wasn't a good experience. Scrolling lag and slow pinch to zoom are classic examples of where Android got it wrong and Apple got it right from day one.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I am not saying apple hasn't released updates, I am saying the updates are tiny and well... updates not OS advances. I mean really, they list sounds being added to animations and a new 'feature'. Lets also not forget the removal of features with iMaps being released, but hey in some worlds I guess it makes sense to replace the best with terrible.
Now when looking at android, you are right there are major changes between releases.... that why it is a OS release.
Also I own a Nexus S 4g, so yes I do have voice search... not to mention every android phones after 2.x. I think you maybe referring to google Now? Which I also do have.
Oh about the rooting thing to get updates, I remember my friend jail breaking and getting Siri to work on his 4 right after the 4s was released to only have apple nuke it so he couldn't use it anymore, but its okay since you have OS "6"

senkasaw

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Wow...apparently my comment was controversial ;) All I really meant was the look and feel of ios hasn't much changed since its initial release. The Android UI has changed quite a bit.
I am kind of an Android fanboy, so my initial comment was slanted toward Android. However, I use Apple product everyday...so I am familiar with their iterations. They all just look the same...that's all :)
Regardless, a style refresh will be very welcome from Apple. :)

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

Let me state an example because I don't think you realize I own Android devices. I went through 4.1.1>4.1.2>4.2.>4.2.1>4.2.2 on my Nexus 7 since I purchased it in August - How many updates was that?

NO major earth shaking changes to the UI, just minor improvements (like Apple). Most of these were MAJOR bug fixes because my WIFI, Bluetooth, and screen flicker made the thing useless for about 6 months...

I also have a Viewsonic G tablet with Android 2.4.x on it - The UI is horribly slow and quite awful compared to buttery on my old Iphone 4 - There was a reason Google updated the UI. It was necessary as was Project Butter - before that there was lag swiping screens compared to my iPhone 3, and 4.

If you've got something working you don't mess with it (I wish MS was listening with Windows 8, sigh) but I think I made my point : )

Nexus S = Google phone, like my Nexus 7, get's all the update goodness. The rest of the Android world has to fend for itself.

Apple is shite for not giving the 4 Siri, yes, I agree. You need to also concede that Google's handling of updates and OS refreshes, and it's early UI have left much to be desired. Neither company is perfect - Blaming the manufacturers for updates is not an acceptable answer - It's Google's baby, they need to take better care of it.

senkasaw

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I agree...not all UI changes are good. Android did need changing, and they changed. Apple didn't need changing, and they didn't. Now, though, Android looks new and Apple looks old. I think a style update will be a good thing for Apple.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

Hey, no hard feelings! : ) Writing comments on here sometimes sound harsh when they aren't meant to be. I love Android and iOS for different reasons. I wouldn't spend my money for both if I didn't think there was merit : )

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
All of those changes were 4.x? 4.x is all 4.x, they have done updates to that version of android. Apple releases iOS4, iOS5, iOS6, and now iOS7. They are claiming a new OS when in reality it is an update with a new 'big feature' (i.e. siri and imaps) and a few 'smaller' features that are usually more useful (i.e. pull down notification center, lock screen updates... ty android). In terms of OS advancement most people agree that android has passed iOS. I will give you that iOS run buttery smooth most of the time on their devices, but android runs great on all the nexus devices. I don't mean to bash viewsonic, but they have little business trying to make a tablet. Your tablet is chunky because it is a tegra 2 platform put together by viewsonic. 2.3 ran great on my nexus S and its just a single core 1Ghz A8 and still runs great on 4.2.2(rooted).
For android we went from 2.x to 4.x (3.x was for tablets). The changes between the two are night and day. Hell, even the jump from ics to jelly bean was a huge jump in refinement, efficiency, and stability. Nonetheless it is truly only an update, an update on 4.0.
As for keeping things as they ever were, that is honestly just dumb (you can ask blackberry how that philosophy worked out).
I can blame the manufactures, they are the ones that are responsible for the phone. How can google be expected to support and update so many different platforms made by so many different companies all around the world? If I decided to download 4.2.2 and install it to raspberry pi and somehow I get it to work, should I expect google to write updates when 5.0 comes out? No, because I was the one that decided to install the OS and build it so it would work with my hardware. The same applies to phone manufactures, they download and install android to hardware they pieced together.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

If 2.3 ran great and 3.x ran great then they wouldn’t need project butter using your logic… Everything was perfect. The whole point of Project Butter was to improve the user experience. I’ve seen phones/tablets with 2.x and 3.x – I’ve rooted them for friends and they weren’t smooth.

Those changes were necessary, Android looked dated, one of it’s biggest criticisms was that iOS on the iPad looked like a proper OS, meanwhile 2.x and even 3.x looked like a phone OS on a tablet.
I agree 4.0 onward is a huge improvement but it was needed. iOS didn’t need to update as it was already doing it’s job on phones and tablets.

How? Well, Microsoft has been doing it for, what 20+ years. And there are more PC hardware versions (CPU/motherboard/accessories/GPUs/etc.) than every piece of Android hardware ever built… Far more.

By your logic, Dell, Sony, Toshiba, etc should control Microsoft Windows updates because it's running on their hardware, shipped from the factory...

You want an everyone can participate model (essentially what MS-DOS, and Windows offered every manufacturer vs. Apple’s closed system) You need to make sure it works and updates properly. In this case, I think we don’t give Microsoft enough credit – ALL those different hardware run the same OS essentially and that’s where some of the major issues arise – It complicated.
The point is that MS doesn’t make Dell control the updates; MS does the updates because it’s proper for the OS publisher to do so.

Additionally, This is the primary reason Android OS is panned by Government for use in defense and intel – (I know a few people who test tablets/phones for secure use at the Navy). Their logic is: Relying on manufacturers to provide updates isn’t acceptable for security and reliability.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
iOS is terribly boring. On Android I can have one home screen, no app icons just a nice looking clock and weather widget with a beautiful live wallpaper behind it, and then a slide out start menu to get to my apps. The huge walls of app icons make my OCD run rampant, and look similar to a cluttered desk. Just my opinion though.

Andreas Wallgren

Honorable
May 2, 2013

What?! All the manufacturers make their own drivers so that they will work with Windows. Microsoft doesn't write drivers for GFX, motherboard makers etc etc...

Apple has like, 5 products that they need to update. That's nothing compared to all the phones that's on the Android OS.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

I dont know what you are talking about. Together, I used an iPhone3G and iPhone4 for over 4 and a half years. I bought an S3 because I was tired of that same boring iOS UI. Who knows though, maybe in 4 years I'll be just as bored with Android, but saying that the iOS UI has changed is ridiculous.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

I may have misunderstood your logic but I think you are stating that drivers are the reason Google can’t update Android…

There are more machines running MS Windows with their specific drivers than every model of Android handset and tablet cumulatively built from day one.

Chances are my Windows machine has a different driver set than yours and guess what? When Windows update rolled out on Tuesday, both our machines updated.

When you update your Windows machine, you’re not updating the drivers; you’re patching the OS. Have you ever updated your Windows machine?

Driver updates are an entirely different process.

If your logic were to hold true, the you’d be getting updates from the manufacturer of your PC (Dell for example) not Microsoft, Canonical, whatever OS you’re running.

Ultimately, my point is that Google's model serves Google, not the customer. They don't wanna be responsible for putting out patches like Canonical does for Ubuntu, Microsoft does for Windows, and Apple does for Mac OS/iOS, etc.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

You got bored of it, okay - Moving from iOS to Jelly Bean was different for me too.

The changes on the Android platform were necessary because the user experience was not up to par - Not on Tablets (pre Honey Comb tablets looked like phones with phone icons, etc. Here's Google's video promo: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/google-shows-off-android-3-0-the-entirely-for-tablet-honeycom/), not on Phones (Project Butter made transitions, screen refresh, a load of other enhancements Google's own promo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCVMvvXHqxU).

Saying "oh wow, Android has been changing and is so much better" is a relative opinion - Yes it's changed a lot but it needed to change because Google realized it wasn't giving a good user experience.

I can't argue with you about boring, yes, it may be boring but my 3G and 4 didn't look like non Jellybean phone the Project Butter video. The iPad wasn't launched with phone and text icons like my Viewsonic G had on Android 2.4...

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
It is clear you only have a general understanding of how an OS works, I really don't have the time to explain to you how wrong you are about your Windows example.
It comes down to my last example. Android is an OPEN PLATFORM. If I decide to install Android to something, then it is MY responsibility to maintain it. Google didn't command phone manufactures to put Android on anything, so why would it be Google's responsibility to maintain it?
I will quickly say Windows doesn't support all those hardware combinations, they support a general driver. The hardware manufactures and software developers for 3rd party companies make sure it works. Ever wonder why hardware boxes say compatible with windows on the front? It is because the people making the 3rd party item made sure it was......

Status
Not open for further replies.