Apple's iPad 3, Part 1: The Complete Retina Display And A5X Review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]v3rlon[/nom]Since the tests show that Apple beats out the other tablets (even the Samsung Galaxy if you click the link) in color performance...[/citation]
The thing is, nobody bothered to stress "oh it has superior screen" factor, when it was Ipad 2 - 49.9% vs Galaxy - 62.8%. Now that ipad3 got 66% gamut is suddenly important point and even now, , galaxy misteriously dissapears from the chart.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Honestly I don't know why anyone uses synthetic benchmarks. Who gives a crap what the scores are only thing that matters is real world tests. Same goes for synthetics for video cards.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]bernardv[/nom]2048x1536 on a 10" screen? This is a joke, 0 value to 99.9% of end users. A fanboy excuse for throwing money away.The author comments it is suitable for watching movies. Which movie is even available in such a resolution??? For watching movies in your lap on 10", 720p is more than enough.[/citation]

You have either never seen it in person or are legally blind. I find the difference between the iPad 2/Galaxy Tab type screens and the iPad 3rd edition to be amazing. (I do have better than 20/20 vision, it makes a huge difference).

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]applerocks[/nom]You have either never seen it in person or are legally blind. I find the difference between the iPad 2/Galaxy Tab type screens and the iPad 3rd edition to be amazing. (I do have better than 20/20 vision, it makes a huge difference).[/citation]

20/20 vision at 2 foot distance makes no difference. My vision is less than perfect at a distance but up close is amazing.

justme1977

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
2048x1536 on a 10 inch screen? That's madness.
I do wonder btw what good that resolution will do at such a small screen.
I still have my old 21inch crt connected to my pc, it also has a reso of 2048x1536.
When i browse the net on that reso, the hyper-links including spaces are about 2 millimetre.
When i scale that down to a 10 inch screen, the hyper-links including spaces will be around 0.5 millimetre for a single hyper-link, at that density there will be 20 hyper-links in the space of 1 centimetre, my browse finger is about 1 centimetre thick.
So it might not work in the real world, but i reckon it does look slick. :D

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
By god... it's like people are just desperately trying to find something to bitch about.

8 hours of 4G, quad-core graphics, an impossible never-before-seen insanely crisp resolution, and people fixate on the missing SD card and USB port, lol. I think that the whole idea is that you don't need a physical port anymore... you can download most content off of iTunes, or use Dropbox to throw over some of your own stuff, or even perform entire wireless syncing. And they're almost at streaming HD content to compatible TVs, so you won't even need an HDMI port either.

The day they perfect wireless recharging the iPad will probably have no holes or physical interfaces at all.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I've played with an iPad3... the screen is beautiful. It is perfectly sharp. Its super fast and smooth compared to my iPad1.

Only screw up by Apple... calling it the "new iPad (3rd gen)"... not the iPad3 or iPad2ss (Super Sharp)

daveotlinux

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Just curious. When looking at media that is 1280x720 or 1920x1080 the player software must have to remap the video to 2048x1536. Actually since the screen is not 16x9, it would be something like 2048x 1150.
Wonder if it will look as bad as what Safari does to large graphics.

BWMerlin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
The video says that Apple invented raising the sub-pixels to stop leakage but the LCD panel is from Samsung so is it really Samsung who invented it then or did Apple tell Samsung to make the panels with this technology in it?

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Sorry. But why is AdobeRGB space being tested with no reference to sRGB? sRGB is 99.9% of the web and 100% of iPad apps! It makes close to no sense to frame the iPad display against the Adobe reference, unless iPhoto or some other app is even smart enough to use color management.

C'mon guys.

G

Wow 264 pixels per inch on a 9.7" screen. O wait my much more useful Samsung Galaxy Note has 285 pixels per inch on a 5.3" screen & a 8MP camera. Really who is going to use the camera on this huge thing that much anyway. The Note can also play 1080p videos which look so good. I must say Apple as some balls in marketing the iPad3 as 4G in Australia as 4G won't be available for this thing until 2014!

G

I believed all these ipad3 reviews are paid marketing pr. All the rave about hi rez screen only & in actual fact nothing really is enhanced on the usage experience front. I've tried it in the apple store & my wife has a ipad2, & i seriously couldn't feel anything different.

Firstly, not many apps & media are recompiled to that kind of rez.

2ndly, how is having sharper text going to enhance anything at all? I still need to zoom into the tiny font to make them bigger for easy reading. Reminds me of an old mac office review, its all about "oh... did i mention how sharp the lines in excel are?" DUH!!!

And i certainly am not going to put the ipad3 at 10cm in front of my face for "all that glory"

G

The article doesn't go into depth about game performance between iPad2 and iPad3. In developing my Unity game for these, performance noticeably drops on iPad3 compared to 2. This is truly distressing. Since my game doesn't employ higher resolution graphics, I wish there were a way (but isn't) to flip a software switch to downgrade the 4x back to 1x so my game will run as on the iPad2.

btdude6

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]same way that MacOS's ability to take screenshots of a selected area of the screen can't make me shift from Windows/Ubuntu.[/citation]

Not sure if this is what you mean, but you do know about alt+print screen on Windows, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.